Moms and Maids

Mom drama both side 2 generation

Ok so my mom, grandmother, and FMIL are all too over dramatic. While my side opposses marrage, they don't like my FI, they're excepting it. My FMIL on the other hand doesn't like me, but is all for the wedding. She is trying to wedge between me and him. What's up with that?

Not only that. They all have big mouths and don't like each other and I'm afraid they're going to ruin my big day......HELP!!

Re: Mom drama both side 2 generation

• edited December 2011
    accepting, not excepting.

Don't talk to them about the wedding plans.  Seat them away from each other at the reception. 

Your FI needs to tell his mom to back off, if she's causing trouble.
  • edited December 2011
    You two need a life strategy, rather than a wedding strategy. Those 3 women are going to be in your lives for a very long time. You and fi need to present a united front. Make it clear to both families that disrespectful behaviour toward your or your fi will not be tolerated. Stand up for each other. Don't allow them to complain to you about each other, either.

Pay for your own wedding so that you won't have to involve the difficult moms in much of the planning.  Include them only when they are playing nicely. Eventually they will get the message.

Good luck.

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-drama-side-2-generation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:6b078467-226d-47b3-835d-0b4ecf0b0defPost:d5304ae6-8480-4ad8-97b8-0270510c9e83">Re: Mom drama both side 2 generation</a>:
    [QUOTE]"This is the man I love, and he's going to be my husband. I had hoped that you would support both of us. You can either do that, or we will avoid both of you, which would break my heart. What's it going to be?"
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what you and FI need to be saying to your respective families.  You both need to be on the same sheet of music here and you both need to be equally dedicated in not letting them wreak havoc in your lives.

Agree with PP that you need to be realistic about their behavior at your wedding.  Weddings do nothing to change people, so don't expect that.  Your wedding is one day, your marriage is for life.  Plan how you will handle this in your marriage, not just how you will survive one day.

Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-drama-side-2-generation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:6b078467-226d-47b3-835d-0b4ecf0b0defPost:d5304ae6-8480-4ad8-97b8-0270510c9e83">Re: Mom drama both side 2 generation</a>:
    [QUOTE]"This is the man I love, and he's going to be my husband. I had hoped that you would support both of us. You can either do that, or we will avoid both of you, which would break my heart. What's it going to be?"

This EXACTLY...but from both of you.  AND...do not waver.  People do this stuff because they are allowed to get away with it.  Don't let them.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-drama-side-2-generation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:6b078467-226d-47b3-835d-0b4ecf0b0defPost:d5304ae6-8480-4ad8-97b8-0270510c9e83">Re: Mom drama both side 2 generation</a>:

<div>This.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards