Moms and Maids
Options

Thoughts?

Hey Ladies!
So to get straight to the point:  I had a bridemaid drop out.  The problem is that she is my only bridesmaid--the MOH.  I was going for a small wedding and a small WP.  I know it's really rude to ask someone else after you've already decided the WP, so my question is....are there any other options?  Her reason is money issues, and I'm in the process of rebudgeting to see if we can foot her bill, but I'm not sure that we'll be able to.  We're on a tight budget already.  Wedding is Aug. 11 this year.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I really don't want to stand up there by myself (I know FI will be there, but I'm sad that my friend won't be).  Thanks Ladies!

Re: Thoughts?

• Options
    Can you work with a dress she already owns?  With prom season just over I would think there would be a lot of suitable dresses on clearance that might work.   If you can be really flexible with her outfit for the wedding I would think you guys could work this out ok.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_thoughts-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:6f12888c-9d10-4b57-9488-c69b4862c68cPost:46252e4d-a562-4348-997e-565596520b7b">Re: Thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you work with a dress she already owns?  With prom season just over I would think there would be a lot of suitable dresses on clearance that might work.   If you can be really flexible with her outfit for the wedding I would think you guys could work this out ok.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]
    She already has her dress.  I'm with you on that.  I told her she could wear something she already owns.  She bought something because she felt like she didn't have anything suitable, but I left it up to her so she could buy something reasonable.  So that avenue has been explored.  Thank you though!
  • Options
    What are her other financial concerns?  Is there travel involved?  Is she concerned about not being able to host a shower?  If she has her dress she ought to be good to go.  What are her money concerns?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_thoughts-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:6f12888c-9d10-4b57-9488-c69b4862c68cPost:ae8665e9-c519-43a5-aa79-f2ca65143d8c">Re: Thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are her other financial concerns?  Is there travel involved?  Is she concerned about not being able to host a shower?  If she has her dress she ought to be good to go.  What are her money concerns?
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]
    Oh!  Sorry!  My mind is gone.  Yes, there's travel involved.  That's the main issue.  She's coming from northern Louisiana to central Ohio.  There's not really a shower since my family and FI's family and our friends are spread out over 3 distant states.  So yeah.  It's the travel.  I guess I just didn't know how much she was restrained financially.  But she immediately accepted when I asked her to be the MOH, so I didn't question anything. 
  • Options
    I'd really try to get her there if at all possible. Is there somewhere she can stay instead of a hotel? Is driving an option or doesn't she have a reliable vehicle?
  • Options
    Megabus? Greyhound?  Bunking with good friends of yours in town vs hotel? Ride share on Craigslist (no sure how frequently that particular corridor is explored).
  • Options
    If it was me, I'd try to get her there however I could. Like PP said, look into cheaper transportation options besides flying (although sometimes if you get a good deal, flying is actually just as cheap). Check Southwest--they're the cheapest airline I've found with two free checked bags. Flying with a stop instead of non-stop and at off hours (like at night, etc) can help save a lot of money on airfare.

See if she can stay somewhere besides a hotel, or if she can't, look at motels that you can get for like $50/night or less. I mean, bottom line, if she can't afford it and you guys can't afford it, there isn't much to do. Travel costs can be expensive. It's just a shame that she's a good friend and has already purchased her dress, so I'd see if I could maybe pay her airfare to help out and maybe she could cover lodging costs or vice versa?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards