Moms and Maids

Help

Alright ladies I need some help with my future MIL. It's about what she plans on wearing to my wedding. I know that u may think uh oh bridezilla, but hear me out. She's 55yrs old, lets start there. Her dress for her daughter's wedding last year was a little inappropriate, it was spaghetti strap with the back completely out, no bra and the headlights were on. I offered to go shopping with her a few times, but our schedules always got in the way, or she wasn't feeling well. I now come to find out she got herself a dress. apparently the misses and womens section of the store were too grandma for her (even though she already has 5 grandchildren). She found it in the juniors section.Once again she's 55, not a good 55, a recovering alcoholic 55. anyway the dress is completely inappropriate. it's one shoulder,  very form fitting, peach on top and black on the bottom and it's short!!!!!!!!! like above the knee short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone, including my mom, my bridal party, and myself are wearing long dresses. How do I bring this up to her??? I want to continue to have a good relationship with her, thats important to me, but this dress is bad, very bad. Any advice??Please im desperate!

Re: Help

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. She will be the one to look like a fool, not you so don't worry about that. You have a valid concern, as this does sound kinda bad, but you can't really do anything about it now since she already has the dress. 

Some people make the argument that because you love and care about these people, you should in fact tell them to wear something else to spare them the grief they may face when they get dirty looks, but I have a feeling if your FMIL is as bold as you say, she probably doesn't care what people think of her. That or she is obvilious to the fact that she is not 20 anymore, and even then she may not care. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • edited December 2011
    Your FMIL is an adult. You shouldn't tell her how to dress. You can show her the type of dress that your mom has chosen, you can buy her a pashmina as a gift to match her dress, but you should not criticize her choice. If she shows up in a short peach dress, headlights all aglow, it's a reflection on her poor taste, not yours. The moms' dress selections are out of your jurisdiction.

Please be kind to your FMIL. There's no need to cut her down for being a recovering alcoholic. It could be much worse; she could be an active alcoholic who is not able to admit that she has a problem.

Please, don't worry about things that you can't control.

Have a wonderful wedding : )

• Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL rarely ever wear a bra, and it's obvious, in a bad way. I never even thought of relating that to wedding day (until I read this post) because, well, that's just her and we all already know it.

Point is, if this is normal for her, people will not be shocked by it. You can't tell her what to wear, so I suggest letting this one go.
  • edited December 2011
    All good ideas!  I agree...
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards