Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Simple Catering

Re: Simple Catering

• Options
    Most grocery stores sell "party trays" like what you're talking about.

I would think it would be nice to have something a little more substantial, since you're running into dinner time with your reception.  You could check out places like La Paloma, which is a local Mexican food chain (think taco stand without the tacos).  They sell their meat by the pound and I think they just throw in corn tortillas, cilantro, onions, radishes, and salsa for free.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_simple-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4c3e27e-a660-4c1d-b4bb-244ea8276272Post:4d9351b6-65c4-4da8-92f7-53a57c03f800">Re: Simple Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most grocery stores sell "party trays" like what you're talking about. I would think it would be nice to have something a little more substantial, since you're running into dinner time with your reception.  You could check out places like La Paloma, which is a local Mexican food chain (think taco stand without the tacos).  They sell their meat by the pound and I think they just throw in corn tortillas, cilantro, onions, radishes, and salsa for free.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Yum. That sounds delicious. I agree with PP that since it's dinner time people will probably be expecting more. You could always stick with your original idea (snacks and finger foods) but warn people that there won't be a dinner. Maybe on the invites you could say "Hors d'oeuvres and reception to follow"...?

Another affordable mexican food suggestion would be On the Border. I know some people don't care for some of their food but their fajitas are delicious (IMO) and my mom has done their catering for several birthday parties/family get togethers. It was always really budget-friendly.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    BBQ is also a cheap option. I am getting Sonny Bryans, which is very affordable.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I recently had to cater a funeral reception for 100 people.  I got 3-4 (can't remember) large party trays from the Signature Tom Thumb in Highland Park Village.  The lady that helped me there was Romona and she was great.  I was really worried about it, but when we got there the trays looked gorgeous and everything was fresh and delicious and it was plenty of food.  I'm trying to remember but I think we got one that was fruit/cheese, one veggie, and one that was mini croissant sandwiches.  I think that was it.  Every morsel got eaten, so it was JUST enough, but the 3 large trays plus crackers for the cheese came to right at $200 I think.  I would highly recommend that Tom Thumb.

ETA:  No it was 4 trays for $200--we got those lavosh roll up things too.

Roll ups $54.99Fruit/Cheese $59.99Veggie $44.99Croissants $54.99
  • Options
    We did a lot of party trays from Sams a few years ago, I do'nt remember what the cost of it was, only that it was really good for what we wanted. You might check out how they do mini sandwhiches too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ejheartejheart member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_simple-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4c3e27e-a660-4c1d-b4bb-244ea8276272Post:d7bd28d0-5a90-42bf-8fc3-6c6a06dcfc2d">Simple Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE] EDIT: We are letting people know that we aren't having a dinner. But since our getaway is at 630, I don't feel that it's "dinnertime," until the very end of the reception. Or else they'd be eating dinner at 3/330.  Most of my friends haven't served dinner, since we are all just out of college with the tiniest budgets of all time.  The issue is we wont have a refrigerator right next to the reception site, and so I'm not sure logistically what to do if we just bought party trays ahead of time. I mean, it's nearby, but the venue is pretty large and so its a little walk back to where the refrigerator is.  THANKS!
    Posted by Hope4Afrika[/QUOTE]

Ooh, ok, gotcha! How much are you wanting to spend? I'm just thinking since logistically it's going to be difficult for you to store cold food, it may be easier just to have someone bring food in (even if it is just appetizers or snacks), that way you wouldn't have to worry about it. My caterer suggested about $600 worth of appetizers for 150 people (but that was heavy appetizers...it definitely could be much lighter). I also want to say my mom spent around $200 for 50 people with OTB and we had a ton left over (and that was a full meal).

If that's still out of your budget then my only suggestion would be to have some kind of transport for the food to and from your reception area. Maybe you guys could rent a golf cart and pay some friends of a friend a few bucks to tote everything back and forth?

ETA: We also did a party tray from Firehouse Subs for my graduation party and it was delicious and really convenient (and I don't remember it costing an arm and a leg). I'm just worried that you may end up stressing if all of the food organization is on you (and/or your family), so I would say it's worth checking out.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_simple-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4c3e27e-a660-4c1d-b4bb-244ea8276272Post:40649abd-bf08-4419-91e6-357a92587137">Re: Simple Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Simple Catering : Thanks so much! That's really good to know!

Here is everything they have to choose from.

<a href="http://www.tomthumb.com/ShopStores/Signature-Cafe-Deli-Trays.page" rel="nofollow">http://www.tomthumb.com/ShopStores/Signature-Cafe-Deli-Trays.page</a>
  • Options
    What month is your wedding in? Remember summer months in Texas can be very hot and it sounds as if you guys will be outside for a good long time. If you are going to have older people around this could be an issue.

You should have more substantial food--especially if people will be playing games and getting hungry. A grocery store is a great idea. You could also do something really cute with a display of lemonade's, sweet tea, flavored water, etc. I would also be worried about food spoiling--maybe stay away from anything with mayonnaise.
  • Options
    No problem. If you're interested, we're using TCP Catering (family owned and operated). They were by FAR the cheapest that I found and they had lots of great app. options. They are run by the same guy who does a restaurant called The Chicken Place. He is really one of the nicest, most helpful vendors I've had so far:

Scott Vickers
    tcpwatauga@gmail.com
    817-908-8891
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Now that I know a little more, I think in your case party trays would probably be sufficient.  I feel like I might leave a little early if all I'd had to eat by 6:30 was cheese and crackers, but that's really just me.

Some friends of ours had a 10 am wedding out at the bride's family home, and they basically did the cake and punch route.  It was very fun.  It got HOT, though, so we were pretty ready to leave by the end.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_simple-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4c3e27e-a660-4c1d-b4bb-244ea8276272Post:a931b3c8-0db0-41b0-b16f-3ef83d714855">Re: Simple Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]Now that I know a little more, I think in your case party trays would probably be sufficient.  <strong>I feel like I might leave a little early if all I'd had to eat by 6:30 was cheese and crackers, but that's really just me</strong>. Some friends of ours had a 10 am wedding out at the bride's family home, and they basically did the cake and punch route.  It was very fun.  It got HOT, though, so we were pretty ready to leave by the end.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. We would leave and go to dinner even if I'd fed myself a proper lunch prior to going to the wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_simple-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4c3e27e-a660-4c1d-b4bb-244ea8276272Post:d7bd28d0-5a90-42bf-8fc3-6c6a06dcfc2d">Simple Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]The issue is we wont have a refrigerator right next to the reception site, and so I'm not sure logistically what to do if we just bought party trays ahead of time. I mean, it's nearby, but the venue is pretty large and so its a little walk back to where the refrigerator is.  THANKS!

We bought ours before the service and refrigerated them for about an hour.  Not refrigerating them for a long period of time wouldn't be ideal certainly.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_simple-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4c3e27e-a660-4c1d-b4bb-244ea8276272Post:d38ad1bc-526a-41b3-bb21-a5569ae36c9d">Re:Simple Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]I appreciate your concern that I was clueless and unaware of hot summer months! I hadn't thought of that before! I guess I better change it all now! My wedding is in November. It will be fine. we And by "games," I mean like washers and cornhole. I don't expect people to exert too much energy when in wedding attire even casual wedding attire. I'm really not a snarky person, I swear. But posts that completely ignore the point of the original post and assume that I have not thought of essential things like weather are slightly irritating.
    Posted by Hope4Afrika[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You would be surprised how many have come here and said it would be fine. You don't have to be snarky because some were asking some additional questions that insinuated that you might not thought of the things they were asking/recommending. These girls are extremely helpful and try to give the best advise possible.  They ask additional questions because sometimes not enough information is given. 

</div>
  • Options
    Better call the Internet police and tell them someone's posting irrelevant stuff in your thread.  Not to be snarky or anything.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_simple-catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4c3e27e-a660-4c1d-b4bb-244ea8276272Post:a712ec04-a9f9-47c1-b257-6b22ae05b0b4">Re:Simple Catering</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Simple Catering: <strong>So sorry, that post was supposed to be directed only at the girl telling me it would be hot in the summer</strong>. But it must not have posted as such. I really am thankful for the posts by people offering helpful suggestions.

<div>Jen is a regular poster here and she gives great advice and suggestions.  She is very kind and I know she did not intend that to be in any way offensive.  There was absolutely no reason for you to be so snarky with her like that.  She was trying to be helpful and ask some follow-up questions.  You might be surprised at how many people come on here and plan things like this in the summer months.  They just didn't realize what all the implications would be for their guests.  She was trying to get more info and help you think about the situation in its entirety.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you felt like that was snarky, check out the SB or E boards.  I think you will see a drastic difference between those boards and our DFW board.  This board is great -- friendly, helpful, and the girls here are happy to help answer questions (granted so long as its not something you could easily Google or get answers on yourself and/or you're not being a drama llama).  Please do not feel like you will get snarky answers here when you ask a legitimate question;  everyone is here to help and give suggestions and advice.  I hope you found some of the PP suggestions and insight helpful.</div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards