Moms and Maids
Options

MOG Issues

Hey Ladies!!! I am having some issues with MOG... She wants to wear a dress that is very similar to my BM dresses and the same color so she will match in the recieving line. I don't even want a recieving line!!! What should I do? Also, his mother and stepdad said they would leave if we played rap or hip hop they would leave. Am I wrong to not care if they leave...? Thank you!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MOG Issues

• Options
    "MOG, I appreciate you wanting to coordinate, but we aren't having a receiving line at the wedding." Other than that, you don't get to pick what she wears.

As for the other part... *shrug*. If they leave, there's really nothing you can do about it. I would stay away from any offensive music, but that's a personal thing for me because I don't think it's appropriate for weddings, but every couple is different. If you're paying for the DJ, you get to decide the music.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mog-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:82d56f15-5868-4f27-b8c2-4bd47490e09cPost:74a2ca50-1417-4672-ae6f-c0eeab3c8519">Re: MOG Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>"MOG, I appreciate you wanting to coordinate, but we aren't having a receiving line at the wedding." Other than that, you don't get to pick what she wears.</strong> As for the other part... *shrug*. If they leave, there's really nothing you can do about it. I would stay away from any offensive music, but that's a personal thing for me because I don't think it's appropriate for weddings, but every couple is different. If you're paying for the DJ, you get to decide the music.
    Posted by AlmostMrsStrong[/QUOTE]
    agree. Let her know you aren't having a receiving line. Other then her wearing white, you can't tell her what color she can and can't wear.
  • Options
    Ditto the others.  As for the music, this is something that your FI should be dealing with if they have any objections or ultimatums.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    If it helps at all DD and her DH waited til the last hour or so of the reception to play hip hop and they made sure only clean versions were played.  They figured that is when older relatives would most likely be gone and they were trying to come up with a balance of entertaining their guests and enjoying music they like.  Could something like that work for you?
  • Options

You cannot dictate what your Mom wears.  She can wear what she wants, even white though it is frowned upon, she is a grown woman and can dress herself.  As for the receiving line just tell her that you do not want to have one...easy peasy.

For the music...who is paying for the DJ?  If your FI parents are paying for the DJ then they have every right to dictate which music should or should not be played.  If they are not paying for the DJ then you and your FI are in control of the music.  Many DJs will only play clean versions of songs (I know ours did) so that might help.  But if they are against all versions of rap and hip hop then that is there problem not yours.  You can only please people so much before it gets to be too stressful.  If they leave then it is their lost...but I seriously doubt that you and your FI would play songs that talk about "slapping hoes" and "killing a b$tch" and contain a large number of horrible profanities...especially if you have any type of children at your wedding.

• Options
    Agree about the dress.  Also agree about the music, but please keep this in mind...it is your FI's wedding too.  If this is how his parents feel, how does he feel?  Also, if you want guests to have fun, you need to consider their tastes.  No one couple should dictate the music, but if this is common sentiment among your guests, you may want to take that into account.

I'm a huge fan of classic country, but if my playlist is all Keith Whitley and George Jones, the only ones who will enjoy it are myself and my father.  I'm paying for the DJ, but a compromise is clearly in order.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ditto PPs.  Also, unless she's buying a BM dress for FSIL she has no reason to know what the BM style or color is.  If her trying to match is going to be an issue, stop sharing those details.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the replies!! I am totally going to wait until later in the night to play hip hop and rap. We are paying for everything and both me and my FI like hip hop and rap. Thank you for all the advice!! I appreciate it :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mog-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:82d56f15-5868-4f27-b8c2-4bd47490e09cPost:415ae130-b023-4f0f-b6b0-12331187e5c5">Re: MOG Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]You cannot dictate what your Mom wears.  She can wear what she wants, even white though it is frowned upon, she is a grown woman and can dress herself.  As for the receiving line just tell her that you do not want to have one...easy peasy. For the music...who is paying for the DJ?  If your FI parents are paying for the DJ then they have every right to dictate which music should or should not be played.  If they are not paying for the DJ then you and your FI are in control of the music.  Many DJs will only play clean versions of songs (I know ours did) so that might help.  But if they are against all versions of rap and hip hop then that is there problem not yours.  You can only please people so much before it gets to be too stressful.  If they leave then it is their lost...but I seriously doubt that you and your FI would play songs that talk about<strong> "slapping hoes" and "killing a b$tch" </strong>and contain a large number of horrible profanities...especially if you have any type of children at your wedding.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

haha this is great! (also good advice!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards