Moms and Maids
Options

Who the @#$#@ decided this?!

I was talking with a girlfriend the other day about wedding stuff, and she brought up MOB/MOG attire. I was at a loss for words. She was saying how she had picked out these dresses for them to wear, and how she didn't care if they liked them or not (she also picked out the BM dresses without consulting them, 250 dollars and they look like puke green cupcakes). Her FMIL has a scar from a mastectomy she received a few years back, and is very sensitive about it. And...you guessed it...the dress is very low cut and my friend (Who is usually so sweet, and I have no idea why she's suddenly such a 'zilla) is refusing to back down. These are very satiny, evening gown type dresses, and if I know her Mom at all, she'd much prefer a toned down suit or skirt and blouse. I tried to say something, tactfully, without calling her out for being controlling and insensitive. She flew off the handle at me, but she calmed down, and as long as we don't talk about her wedding, we're fine. I just would like to know, who the heck decided that it was fine to dress grown ass women and demand that they wear whatever the bride wants?!?!

Re: Who the @#$#@ decided this?!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Your friend decided. That's totally not "the rule."

In some communities, the mothers do dress to coordinate with the bridesmaids, but that's not the norm, either.
  • Options
    nlindsay17nlindsay17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your friend is a bridezilla to the extreme. No bride should ever take it upon herself to determine everyones budget for her wedding. The MOB and MOG are certainly capable of chosing what they want to wear without input from the bride. They are not part of the bridal party. The bridesmaids should have been consulted about their budget privately and dresses chosen accordingly. I don't get where this bride thinks this is even remotely ok.
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some brides seem to lose all consideration for others once the wedding planning begins. A friend of mine actually told me she doesn't plan on asking her FSIL to be a BM because she is plus sized and she's worried how it would ruin the "look" of her WP. I told her that she was being a biitch and the fact that they aren't close should be the reason she chooses not to ask her. Technically she is also plus sized as a 14, versus her FSIL who is a size 28. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! That is nuts! All I did was choose the color for my bridal party and told the to have at it. Funny enough, the pictures turned out great, everyone was happy and nobody broke their budgets to be in the wedding party.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Someone needs an intervention.  I'm with Retread.  I'd take whatever dress she gets, and then buy what I want and wear it even if that means I eat Ramen noodles for a MONTH. 
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a pure bridezilla. I know, we tend to throw that word around on these boards but I believe this girl is the essence. So sad.

My mom made this huge deal about a dress she found, even stressing that it had a ruffle just like the BMs dresses and she didn't know if that was ok. I simply told her it was gorgeous and she can wear whatever the heck she wants.
  • Options
    kaitlyn&henrykaitlyn&henry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i thought brides do not get to dictate in any way shape or form the dresses any one wears besides WP. The WP excludes parents right? Or am i missing something?
  • Options
    Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My sister went as far as telling my mom she had to see it on her in person and that a picture wasn't good enough. She said no to half the stuff my mom liked and tried on until finally she found a MOB dress for $400.00 and then said it was ok.

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you need to tell your friend about a great planning site called TK, where the brides are super helpful and honest ;-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Retread and Muffin's Mom.

I would cancel that order and show up in a surprise dress for the wedding : )

Little Miss Cutie, did your friend order the dresses and expect the moms to pay? She has a lot of nerve.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_decided-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:845b65d3-a321-40ab-bca1-9f99d6e262e9Post:2bdec69c-fc7a-464b-a221-750189aa1d5b">Re: Who the @#$#@ decided this?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Retread and Muffin's Mom. I would cancel that order and show up in a surprise dress for the wedding : ) Little Miss Cutie, did your friend <strong>order the dresses and expect the moms to pay? She has a lot of nerve</strong>.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately yes. She's already had two of her eight (EIGHT!) bm's drop out, and is going loco trying to find replacements (don't even get me started). She asked me, and I laughed so hard I almost peed myself (in private). She hasn't been able to find replacements, so she's trying to get her FI to "fire" two of his groomsmen. She was the one who made him pick eight guys in the first place! I really hope she turns back into my normal, sweet friend after this is over (only two more months!).
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I know two mom's who need to have a come to Jesus meeting with this bridezilla.  I hope they are NOT accepting this crap.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That isn't the rule at all. She should give her BMs a say in the dress, especially if she is asking them to pay for it, which I assume she is. And it is so not ok to try to tell a grown woman what to wear to her daughter's wedding. I feel sorry for her FMIL especially, she should be more understanding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yikes! Replacement bridesmaids. She might need replacement moms, too. It's too bad your friend didn't join TK for some advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards