Moms and Maids

Sticky Sister Situation

Ladies, I need your opinions! My fiance has two sisters. I'm happy and proud to call Sister #1 my good friend. She's a wonderful person, a great mom, and so much fun to be around. I really feel like she is my own sister, and I would like nothing more than to ask her to be my bridesmaid. 
Here's the issue. Sister #2 and I have no relationship at all. There was no falling out or fight or anything, we just don't really talk. We don't have any shared interests, opinions, hobbies.... anything. The only thing we have in common is her brother, and if it weren't for him neither of us would give each the time of day. We don't have a problem with each other, it's just like what I said before- there's no relationship at all.
So here's my question: would it be okay to ask Sister #1 to be my bridesmaid, and not Sister #2? I really don't want to cause of riff in the family, but I can't imagine being up at the altar without Sister 1 by my side.... nor can I imagine Sister 2 up there with me.

Re: Sticky Sister Situation

• I don't see a problem with it but I am not sure of the family dynamics.  I think you should ask your FI to see if WWIII would break out if you did what you are proposing to do.  Honestly, if sister #2 gets her panties in a twist for not being asked then she is in super denial of your relationship status with her, or she is just a brat.

• I will add one caveat to the prior posts.  If she is the only sibling left out of the WP, this is something that will hurt and that she will not forget.  This was done to me.  If this is the case, your FI should ask her to stand on his side.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Agree with GLB that your FI can always have her on his side as well. I also agree that it's hard to answer without knowing family dynamics. With H's family, something like this would not have gone over well. His mom was pushing to have almost every single cousin involved in some way (we put our foot down but we still heard about it). In some families, it's NBD. Talk to your FI and see what he thinks.

If he really feels it will cause strife/hurt her feelings to not be involved, he could have her on his side or you could perhaps ask her to do a reading so she is involved in the wedding but in a different capacity. I do agree also with GLB that if all your siblings and FI's siblings are involved except her, that will probably be hurtful to her, and I totally would understand how she's feeling. Just something to think about.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards