Moms and Maids
Options

MOB attire for Catholic Church wedding at 3 p.m.

Is it appropriate to wear an evening gown to the church ceremony?  Reception is at 6.
I'm thinking I would be more "at ease" in a suit, but the expense of 2 outfits!
Mom of Bride 10/14/2012

Re: MOB attire for Catholic Church wedding at 3 p.m.

• Options
    RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Define "evening gown."  If you mean thigh-high slits and cleavage, certainly not.  However, most of the MOB gowns I've seen are modest enough to do the job nicely.  Comfort vs cost, of course, is up to you to decide. Can you link us to a pic?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter's wedding was at noon. I wore a long gown in chiffon. I did not want to wear a short dress. I was only going to be a MOB once and I wanted a gown. I felt a flowy, light chiffon was a better choice. A satin gown felt too formal and heavy for a daytime wedding. I say wear what you want!!
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2012
    I'm not Catholic so I haven't attended to many Catholic weddings but the last one was at 3 pm.  Both moms wore long dresses and looked quite stunning.  There was the dreaded 3 hour gap followed by an evening reception.  I think a gown would be fine.
  • Options
    I attended one wedding where the MOG changed during the 'Catholic gap' into evening clothes. She wore ordinary church clothes to the ceremony. At every other wedding, the MOB and MOG geared their outfits to the formality of the reception. I have seen plenty of moms in evening gowns at daytime weddings. Many of your guests might be wearing gowns, too, if the reception is going to be formal.

• Options
    I hadn't been to a Catholic wedding in years and attended an early afternoon ceremony, wearing a dressy suit. I saw all the other women there in the same attire and figured I was good to go for the reception that followed the 3 hour gap. Boy was I wrong, they all showed up in cocktail attire and I was under-dressed.  I still had a great time but would liked to have worn something more fun than what I wore to the  church. I do think it varies by region though so what occurs here might be what happens in your area. I do think a long dress or jacket and long skirt are very appropriate for just about any church as long as it doesn't have a revealing neckline or slits in the skirt that are high above the knee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards