Moms and Maids
Options

Need to vent - FMIL's "wedding present" (kinda long...sorry)

2»

Re: Need to vent - FMIL's "wedding present" (kinda long...sorry)

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_need-vent-fmils-wedding-present-kinda-longsorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:97f47c03-0114-41b4-bf2d-b99a73c739c9Post:d4b17c4f-9506-48d5-9bee-43dab0196a08">Re: Need to vent - FMIL's "wedding present" (kinda long...sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good grief some of you people are nasty.  Don't get me wrong... I was sick of being the chauffeur so I'm glad he's got the car.  I never said anything to the contrary.  I'm well aware that no one is obligated to give us gifts and I actually wasn't expecting one from her.  My only point was that I didn't like how it suddenly became a wedding gift.  The only time it has been referred to as a gift was at our shower 2 weeks ago when she said something like "well my was too big to wrap." and my gut reaction was that she was merely trying to one-up everyone else.  She went back and forth about buying it since before we were engaged and her final deciding factor was that<strong> she would designate it a company car for her real estate business to get a tax write off which is why the car is in her name.</strong> For those of you who think the 14 cars are all due to recklessness, they're not.  Just the last one.  Other than that they were just very old, very used with high mileage and died a natural death. Aside from a few of you I do appreciate your comments.
    Posted by suze423[/QUOTE]

How is she going to explain a "company car" that is equipped with a breathalyzer to start it?  Nice plan.  Fraud.  That always goes well for people.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He has lupus for which I assume he takes meds.  So he drinks with his meds? 

If you haven't included pre-marital counseling in your wedding plans, I would seriously urge you to.  Your fiance does not take care of himself - how do you expect him to take care of you, your soon to be stepson, and any children you have together?

And, honestly, you shouldn't be mad that your fmil gave YOU and her son a car and called it a gift.  What she did was fraudulent, but it is a gift for the family.  I am sure she is more concerned about the well-being of her grandson at this point. 

Are you upset that you couldn't afford to buy the car you all needed?  What gift from her would have made you happy?

This is all very confusing...do your parents know anything about this?  What have they said? 
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't care about the car issue, but just wanted to add that I know a handful of people with lupus, and they all work.  Sure, they take about five sick days a month, and their employers are aware of this.  But they don't stay home and claim disability money because they have lupus.
  • Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_need-vent-fmils-wedding-present-kinda-longsorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:97f47c03-0114-41b4-bf2d-b99a73c739c9Post:3a3b96b2-32dd-494e-a4c4-2734928f5e99">Re: Need to vent - FMIL's "wedding present" (kinda long...sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care about the car issue, but just wanted to add that I know a handful of people with lupus, and they all work.  Sure, they take about five sick days a month, and their employers are aware of this.  But they don't stay home and claim disability money because they have lupus.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Something tells me if Prince Charming didn't have lupus, he'd find another excuse to not work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards