Moms and Maids

Demands of FMIL

My fiance has informed me that his mother would like us to participate in a traditional Korean ceremony wearing a Hanbok on the day of our wedding.  She insists that it will only be for pictures.  The ceremony itself doesn't bother me, but I told my fiance that I didn't think it would be practical to pull off two outfits, two ceremonies, and two sets of pictures on the same day.  He said he would inform her and that was that.

The real issue here, however, isn't her demand that we participate in this extra ceremony.  In the three weeks that we have been engaged (after two months of discussing it with our families), she has not once made an effort to speak to me or make me feel welcome in the family.  No phone call, no congratulations, nothing.  All of our communication has been through my fiance.  Now if she has requests that she would like to make regarding the wedding, that's fine, but is it unreasonable for me to expect that she come directly to me about them?  Our relationship has been cordial, so I don't understand where this lack of contact is coming from.  What do you guys think?  Should I be the one reaching out to her?  Trying not to stress about it, but...you know how it goes.  =)

Re: Demands of FMIL

• edited December 2011
    Reaching out to her could be participating in the Korean cultural ceremony.  I'd do that, if it's important to your fiance's family.  What does your FI think of the "welcome" you received by his family?  Is it out of character for them?  It might just be how they are.
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at wedding this past October where the bride was Korean and her parents wanted this ceremony... they actually put on the traditional robes/dress over top of their tux/gown.  It was easy to take on and off for them before and after the ceremony. Would that be an option for you?
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• lintstormlintstorm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jackie: It is out of character, she's been pretty open with both my and my FI in the past.  Over Christmas, she told me she really wanted a daughter-in-law she could have a close relationship with and asked me if I'd start writing her letters.  I wrote two, but haven't received a response for either.  I'm just not sure how to take this.  I haven't talked to my FI about it yet, but I really need to since this has been gnawing at me.  Thank you for your advice!

Stephie: Hm, that's good to know.  I'll be honest, I know very little about this ceremony since, well...no one has talked to me about it!  Thanks for the info.
  • zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lane Kim pulled off Korean and Christian ceremonies in the same day in two different dresses. Just make sure you have enough chairs at the second ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_demands-of-fmil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a0718371-aa6f-4d96-bab7-a2cbbee032dePost:0be002cd-810c-4df1-92d3-7b0b95d6d82b">Demands of FMIL</a>:
    [QUOTE] In the three weeks that we have been engaged (after two months of discussing it with our families), she has not once made an effort to speak to me or make me feel welcome in the family.  No phone call, no congratulations, nothing.  All of our communication has been through my fiance.  Now if she has requests that she would like to make regarding the wedding, that's fine, but is it unreasonable for me to expect that she come directly to me about them?  Our relationship has been cordial, so I don't understand where this lack of contact is coming from.  What do you guys think?  Should I be the one reaching out to her?  Trying not to stress about it, but...you know how it goes.  =)
    Posted by lintstorm[/QUOTE]

My FMIL never called me to say congratulations-- she told FI to say congrats when he called to tell her. I was okay with that. All of our communication is generally through FI, unless she has a specific issue or question to speak with me about. Also, okay. It's really not that abnormal, and not all the relationships are like the ones you see on TV. We still like and care for each other quite a bit, and enjoy the time we spend together, but her communication remains mainly with her son, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It is unreasonable to ask that she come directly to you with wedding requests. Her son is the other half of this wedding, and fully capable of fielding her requests, which I am sure she realizes. Probably better off, because if the requests get too ridiculous, he can run interference before they start driving you nuts. Trust me on that one.

If you want to be closer to her, make an effort to call her once a week and see what's up with her. Ask how work is going, whats new with the family, etc. Keep the wedding talk minimal, so that you can build a relationship that will last beyond that one day of your life. This is not worth stressing over.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_demands-of-fmil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a0718371-aa6f-4d96-bab7-a2cbbee032dePost:97d91b34-61b2-40c1-a673-e1acc12b054c">Re: Demands of FMIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is unreasonable to ask that she come directly to you with wedding requests. Her son is the other half of this wedding, and fully capable of fielding her requests, which I am sure she realizes. Probably better off, because if the requests get too ridiculous, he can run interference before they start driving you nuts.
    Posted by HappinessByTheKilowatt[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

As far as reaching out, have you thought about asking your FI for suggestions of what you can do? He probably has a better idea of what his mom might be comfortable doing.
  • vwhitney2107vwhitney2107 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't see the issue with the "lack of contact". Like PP said, this is her son. He is a part of the wedding so it would only make sense that she would go to him for ideas and information. My parents adore my FI but they don't contact him directly about the wedding, they go to me first because I'm their daughter. As long as your FI is relaying information and communicating I don't really see it as a problem.

Also, I'm sort of in the same boat. My FI is Cambodian and even though it is important to us both to have the traditional American ceremony, it is also very important to his family that we do their cultural ceremony. I would hate to get off on the wrong foot with his family and I understand the importance of it so we are doing 2 ceremonies, along with a total of 7 outfit changes, followed by the reception. It may be a long day but it's not impossible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • S&MIIIS&MIII member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_demands-of-fmil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a0718371-aa6f-4d96-bab7-a2cbbee032dePost:90c8ff2b-df0f-41af-a2fb-94fb68eefd58">Re: Demands of FMIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lane Kim pulled off Korean and Christian ceremonies in the same day in two different dresses. Just make sure you have enough chairs at the second ceremony.
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]
    I usually just lurk, but I have to ask, is that a Gilmore Girl reference? If so you just made my day lol! If it's not then ignore my dorkyness.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_demands-of-fmil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a0718371-aa6f-4d96-bab7-a2cbbee032dePost:b697f876-2607-4b19-b4da-8ad0dbf847c4">Re: Demands of FMIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Demands of FMIL : I usually just lurk, but I have to ask, is that a Gilmore Girl reference? If so you just made my day lol! If it's not then ignore my dorkyness.
    Posted by S&MIII[/QUOTE]

Haha I was totally wondering the same thing.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • lintstormlintstorm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the input, all.  It might just be that I'm used to a very different family arrangment.  My parents and my FI are very, very close and they often email or talk on the phone several times a week.  Throughout our relationship, his parents were very open with me and we spoke quite a bit, but ever since we started discussing marriage, his mother has sort of clammed up.  I might be reading too much into this, but her approval and an open relationship means a lot to me, so I'm worried that she has a problem with the engagement.  My FI and his parents have definitely had their problems in the past.  I think the best bet is to just sit down and talk to him about this and see if we can't bridge the gap sooner rather than later. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think being family is also a two way street.  Perhaps considering her ceremony would help her want to reach out to you more.
  • lauraf1202lauraf1202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP, is there a language/culture barrier?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards