Moms and Maids

How did you do bridemaid dresses?

I have 7 bridesmaid and I was wondering if I should get all of us together to shop for styles we like or if I should take just my MOH and decide with her. What did you do?

Re: How did you do bridemaid dresses?

• Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I started by asking my BMs for input via a group FB message.  they didn't have many requests, just that it not be strapless (several were heavier up top) and that it not be yellow (for skin tone clashing) or pink (bc my MOH hates pink, which I already knew - she even said she'd wear it if I really wanted her to)

I decided to use David's Bridal because my girls were all over the place.  I started looking at styles with my mom when we went shopping for my dress.  I found a few that I liked, and DB tagged them to my account.  I then emailed my girls the links to the styles and asked them to go into their local store and check them out by X date.  I went with them for the few that I could

They all sent me pictures and comments on the dresses.  We eliminated one because it was a little too short.  Then it was just down to two that they all said they were fine with, and I picked the one I wanted.  I picked the one I did because as much as I loved the other dress the cotton was just too casual for my wedding.  So then I emailed the girls that we'd be going with that one and to order it by X date.  done and done :-)
  • edited December 2011
    First, you want to make sure to talk to each of them about their budget. Better to know in advance than to pick something you love but not all can afford it.

I just went to DB and decided on what color/fabric I wanted. I am going to let them pick their own style as long as it is short.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I gave them color, fabric, and length and gave them 14 dresses to choose from.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! Very helpful!!
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only request I got was that it be full length. So, I decided full-length satin in "moss" from Da Vinci, and let them pick whatever style from there.
  • MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Start with budget first, then go with whatever the lowest budget is.

My first wedding, I did David's bridal.  I picked a color and asked anyone if they had strong feelings about it.  They were all fine with the color.

Then I chose a few dresses and asked everyone what they thought of them.  Luckily they all had the same favorite.  Told them all when to order by and they did it on their own and handled alterations (or not.  whatever) on their own too.

This time around, i sent them a link to the Alfred Angelo site and asked them which dresses they liked and what colors within my palette they liked best.  They each picked some dresses, we went and tried some on.  They liked some, but we haven't picked specifically yet.  Every once in a while one of them emails me a dress they like.  I honestly don't care as long as its a color within my color palette, isn't longer than my dress (mine is tea-length, so it'd be goofy if they had floor length IMO) and doesn't look like a BRIDESMAID!DRESS!  (I haven't told them yet that I don't particularly care what they wear though!  I would like to at least have a veto vote)
  • edited December 2011
    I have seven bridesmaids too! Mine are all different shapes, sizes, heights. Having been a bridesmaid myself a few times I know that it's super uncomfortable to be stuffed into a dress that just doesn't suit your body and to have people's eyes on you all night evening long. So I decided that I would pick a color and a length and let my bridesmaids choose their style. It worked great!

I used David's Bridal . I dislike them as a company but they had a wide range of styles in the color I chose for good prices. I told the girls - marine blue, floor length, no poofy flower details. They all found dresses that suit their shapes nicely and they still match.  I did the same with shoes - silver heels of any height.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My BM dress situation was supposed to be easy. I only have 2. They're the same size. They're my sisters. I was going to give them a color and some guidelines 'cause it's a formal church wedding, and let them decide between themselves 1 dress they liked. Mom said they'd never agree. I had to choose. I'm hoping the color will be very popular next fall, and I can find something off the rack for less than $100. I've bookmarked dresses that would work that are less than $30-50.
  • ekelly83ekelly83 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All 4 of my bridesmaids met up at DB with me one day, they all tried on different dressed until they found the dress that looked best on all of them. It wasn't too hard to agree on a dress and I already knew the color... It also turned out to be one of the cheapest in the store!
  • Bett2012Bett2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went out with only my MOH, who has the toughest body type to please. We found a couple dresses we liked, with one out on top. So I asked the other two BMs if they liked it and they did.. so we settled on that. i wouldn't have cared if they had the same colour/fabric but different dress, but they all liked the one MOH and I picked out :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards