Moms and Maids

MIL inappropriate....

I need some help.....

My FMIL is saying some really inappropriate things to her daugher...my FI's sister/my BM. She has now called her fat in front of people at least 3 times. It has happened when we tried on BM dresses, at our engagement party, and just in talking about the wedding. My MOH and mom have heard her say it and my MOH is close to saying something to her because she thinks it's inappropriate. My FI's parents are funding part of our wedding and I won't say anything to her because I do not want to cause a fight. I also don't want my MOH and mom to go at it with my FMIL...Does anyone else have this problem? Help please!

Re: MIL inappropriate....

• aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only person who has any right to intervene here is your FI.  You, your mom, and your MOH need to stay the hell out of a family issue.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand you and your mom, MOH being really peeved but like the other ladies said, stay out of it. The best thing you can do is have your FI deal with her mean comments towards his sister.
  • edited December 2011
    Yup, your FI needs to talk to her and tell her this is unacceptable.
  • awick14awick14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I love it. lol.

I agree with the pp. You need to advise your FI about this an ask him to talk to his mom.
    The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • awick14awick14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sry I forgot to hit quote on my comment. I love what RetreadBride wrote.
    The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • jcamm11jcamm11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mil-inappropriate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:bb73f653-d31f-4b44-9ee7-f92f44872623Post:633781f4-fe42-4456-a9e8-8367032fb883">Re: MIL inappropriate....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Throw in a cheerful rejoinder whenever she does this.  "Susie FAT? My goodness. She's one of the most attractive women I know, and I'm so blessed to have her as a new SIL and bridesmaid." That will reinforce your support to her.  Nobody can continue to throw out ugly remarks without looking like a real B.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I like this advice.

Anyone "confronting" FMIL about her behavior is only going to piss her off, and it won't solve anything.  I do think it's important that you take the time to make your FSIL feel good about herself though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What a BEE-OTCH.  That is so incredibly mean.  But I can't even fathom how you'd say something.  I'd feel awkward saying something even if I were your FI. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mil-inappropriate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:bb73f653-d31f-4b44-9ee7-f92f44872623Post:633781f4-fe42-4456-a9e8-8367032fb883">Re: MIL inappropriate....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Throw in a cheerful rejoinder whenever she does this.  "Susie FAT? My goodness. She's one of the most attractive women I know, and I'm so blessed to have her as a new SIL and bridesmaid." That will reinforce your support to her.  Nobody can continue to throw out ugly remarks without looking like a real B.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

This...it's not ugly and will take the wind out of her sails while making your FSIL feel good.  Win Win...
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards