Moms and Maids

What is wrong with my mom (long vent)

I am trying to figure out what is up with my mom.  I do not understand where some of her comments come from.  My sisters tell me all the time stuff she says to them, but my wedding is really bringing comments out in my direction.

I've lived out west for 12 years, not near to any family.  We’re doing the wedding near us.  Basically everyone has to travel to our wedding even if it were in our backyard.  This place is pretty centrally located so no one side is favored.  Only immediate family, their SO and kids, and close friends. 

My dad most likely will not make it - or even be alive - because he’s dealing with cancer and other issues.  He couldn’t even fly if it were tomorrow.  It would be too risky to plan stuff around him and he’s completely OK with this.  He’s also not into weddings and is all for eloping as a more practical option. 

Mom will have to have to fly/drive/train here somehow, just like other people, if she wants to be here.  We chose our location where there is an airport.  She has a lot of anxiety and takes Xanax if we just talk about flying on the phone.  Mind you, she has visited me twice before, and was trying to visit me this summer but schedules did not work out.  She’s capable of flying, it’s not debilitating.

Some of her comments are really off.  They always have been even before dad's illness.  Background – she’s got a horrible marriage with my father, she’s already insecure, thinks everyone’s talking about her or making her look dumb.  Very easily hurt.  I know she's depressed too. 

Examples:

She wants to make her trip out here a vacation time with me.  She said she prefers to stay in our house before the wedding (fly into an airport near us) stay with us 48 hours before the wedding, then come back when it's all over.

"Is there going to be anything else besides a wedding, because that's a long way to go for just a wedding."

“What’s the point in going out there for 2-3 days if I cannot even stay at your house?   I might as well not even go, and then visit you a month later when it's over."

I finally said, this visit is not the time to be hosting guests.  I will be too stressed/busy to host people.  No she wouldn't come to help out.  That's just not my mom.  She told me she guesses she  understands, but will eventually get over it.  This seemed to have prompted other comments. My sisters have told me that she’s  decided to not even go at all! 

Note: I travel home two times every year for the past 12 years.  I’ll still see them 2x the year of my wedding.  The wedding is like a bonus visit.

I do not believe letting her stay in my home prior to the wedding will fix everything. She's convinced I simply don't want her to visit me.  Our schedules not lining up this summer also had something to do with this hurt.

I told her we’re having a 3 day weekend event so that we can all see each other while we’re here. We might even get to hang out Monday before our HM. Then one sister and her family are going to Yellowstone and mom can go with them if she wants.  Sister invited her.  So it’s not “just 2-3 days!”

"How can you do this to us?" - She means "making" her fly out to see a wedding - I've lived here for 12 years!  The west is my home!  You wanted to come out West just this summer!  Dad is not upset about where it’s at.  His goal is to just stay alive until March to see his two new grandbabies.

"Why are you excited to get married?  You already live together" - WTF.  We just moved in together 5 months ago after we got engaged, and dated for 3 years! 

I was married before.  She did not see me get married the first time around, actually no one did because of her.  I was planning something in my state and gave her 6 months’ notice to save $$.  Her answer was, "Well gee, I don't know what we're going to be doing 6 months from now."  That right there stopped me I my tracks of planning anything.   This time I will proceed without her there.

She complains that she's not going to have enough money for a ticket (probably split lodging and a car with a sister), but then she emails me asking if she should buy new solid surface counter-tops for $2200!

Another example, she cried in the dressing room of my other sister's wedding [all of us were in there] because she felt so ugly and no one told her she looked good.  Cried!  We told her she was not ugly, but it's not about her, it's about sister's wedding day.  We are not into coddling her.

What do you think?  Is this how depressed people talk?  Is she jealous of her children’s happiness?  Is this narcissist?  She is rather awkward in social situations.  As in doesn’t know how to engaged and ask questions about the other person.  She’s always thinking someone’s out to make her look dumb.

Re: What is wrong with my mom (long vent)

• ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for the large font - I typed it in Word and it doesn't retain the font size when I pasted.
  • RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Is this how depressed people talk?   Is she jealous of her children’s happiness?   Is this narcissist?   She is rather awkward in social situations.   As in doesn’t know how to engaged and ask questions about the other person.   She’s always thinking someone’s out to make her look dumb.  
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]

<div>Either she's a manipulator, who has learned that making unreasonable demands gets her more concessions than wearing her big girl underwear, or she has a psychiatric condition that isn't being treated by the occasional Xanax.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Some of this reminds me of a friend I have with Asperger's syndrome (essentially, mild autism.)  He is socially akward, has trouble engaging, and takes offense over little things because he doesn't know how to accurately read people.  He isn't clear on social boundaries, and what is and is not an acceptable burden to place on a friend, and any rejection of a request gets taken as a rejection of him.  Unfortunately, it's not the kind of thing that can be treated with medication.  Depression is a possibility, and could be treated, but there's just no way to diagnose her through second-hand internet stories.  There's probably other possibilities, too.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like she's going to change any time soon.  You do not have to live at the mercy of her hang-ups, whatever they are.  Good luck finding a balance that lets you deal with her and stay sane.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for reading all of that.  So nice to get some validation that it's her and not me!
  • edited December 2011
    People act that way because they have been allowed to get away with it in the past.  Given her behavior the first time, I wouldn't hold out hope that she'll be any better this go round.  I would stop engaging her about it.  Tell her she is wanted, and that you hope she is there to share your day, and if not...you'll send her pictures.  Then tell her you love her and hang up the phone.  She's a gron woman.  She'll either show up or she won't.  Don't let it ruin YOUR day!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stuff goes back between her and I from high school, so dad's illness has just intensified stuff but isn't the cause.  He's always been pretty mean to her and not to his daughters.  I'm sure that hurts her as well.

She did go to a support group once.  It consisted of two very in love poeple who both beat cancer and talking about some menial issue they had.  She didn't get a word in, and their issues were so small compared to hers.  She decided it wasn't for her.  She needs a full time therapist.  She went a few times to a therapist and that lady moved away (not sure why she took on patients).  I've offered to pay for her sessions because she really needs a counselor, and I cannot be her sounding board.  I don't want to hear what my dad says/does. 

I generally have a lot empahty for her, she's had a rough life, but she driving her children away too and still thinks is all of us who are crazy.

It will be unfortunate if she doesn't go, but maybe it'll be the simplest for everyone.  Funny how she was all excited about Jackson Hole (where the wedding is), and as soon as I said I cannot host guests in my house before/after the wedding she started with these comments.  I'm not caving.
  • scorpgirl1120scorpgirl1120 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agreed with the girls on here.  Sometimes you just can't change people.  Yea it sucks it's your mom making these comments, and yes of course you want your mother at your wedding, and yes you're going to be upset for a while because she didn't put you before her selfish feelings.  But in the end, the people who love you and support you and your fiance in your marriage are going to be there!

I'm sorry your dad won't be there, but I hope it helps knowing that he supports you from home.  And, as a side note.....maybe you can talk to your dad or one of your sibling about how upset you are about this and see if they can get to the bottom of it or snap mom out of it.  You never know!

Good luck!!!  And congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am a social worker and have studied behaviors all throughout my schooling. I haven't been in school for a little bit but I have been working in a hospital with all sorts of patients and to me, PERSONALLY, this sounds like a personality disorder. i can't decide which one (obviously I wouldn't be able to know considering I have never met her) but there is such thing as narcissistic personality disorder, borderline also jumps to mind. However, this is by no means what I THINK your mother has...it could just be stress with your dad, depression, etc. but my mind keeps traveling to those disorders...

Hope I haven't offended (I am never sure on these boards), I just wanted to let you know from my experiences what this truly sounds like. Hope it works out...and BTW help for people with personality disorders is usually intense counseling, like behavior modification...medications rarely work (other than for anxiety associated with personality disorders). 

Have a great day!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It certainly sounds like mental illness. You can talk to her all you want but it will be like talking to a wall. Unless you seriously give in and let her have things her way, she probably will not show up. My FMIL is like this too, right down to the sobbing fits when things don't go her way.

Does the rest of your family see how she is? Does everyone agree she has issues?
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No worries, I am not offended.  If fact if she did have a disorder, it would be much better to grasp rather than flat out jealousy and rudeness, you know?  I could have empathy if she were suffering from a disorder, but not really with jealousy/rudeness. So I'm torn between empathy and anger.  A hard place to be.

I can still tell she's mad at me because her emails are very short.  She, my one sister and I are all planning a baby shower for the other sister in January.  Fuuuuun!

There were a few times that letters were written to her.  Sister's husband even wrote a letter of apology and explanation over an "incident" that she misunderstood.  She took only one sentence out, morphed it into something negative and deemd it a nasty letter and was highly offended.  So explaining stuff to her in a rational way with logic doesn't always work with her.

So having a come to Jesus moment with her from one of my sisters will just make her feel like everyone doesn't love her.  We usually don't bring up old stuff with her as it's not productive to have therapy talks with her.

"Does the rest of your family see how she is? Does everyone agree she has issues?"

Oh yes, my sisters and I are all aware of her ways.  My dad says she's crazy too but my dad is an emotionally abusive alcoholic which could contribute to the insaneness.  He's super nice to his daughters.  Such a dichotomy. 

If your mom is supportive and positive about your life and wedding, give her a big hug or call her today. :)
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think she sounds depressed, but yes, she sounds like she has some other kind of disorder.  I'm so sorry your dealing with this. 
  • ElinetrouwtElinetrouwt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_wrong-mom-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:bde2367a-f18c-4c98-9c80-b9f0cab9067ePost:6a34b1b3-6e0e-4a20-8401-39159bc7d2ee">Re: What is wrong with my mom (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE] If your mom is supportive and positive about your life and wedding, give her a big hug or call her today. :)
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]<div>
    I should do this. I'm not good at calling her and letting her know how much I appreciate her. Thanks for the reminder.</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck with all of this. I do remember your earlier post, asking if it was ok not to let your mother stay at your home before the wedding. I can imagine that if she's dealing with anxiety problems, staying at a hotel might be stressful for her - not that that's an excuse for her behaviour, but still. I hope that you and your sisters can figure this thing out.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • staceycainestaceycaine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_wrong-mom-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:bde2367a-f18c-4c98-9c80-b9f0cab9067ePost:20f773da-66b6-4533-9305-4db549e71ffd">What is wrong with my mom (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am trying to figure out what is up with my mom.   I do not understand where some of her comments come from.   My sisters tell me all the time stuff she says to them, but my wedding is really bringing comments out in my direction. I've lived out west for 12 years, not near to any family.  We’re doing the wedding near us.  Basically everyone has to travel to our wedding even if it were in our backyard.  This place is pretty centrally located so no one side is favored.  Only immediate family, their SO and kids, and close friends.  <strong>My dad most likely will not make it - or even be alive - because he’s dealing with cancer and other issues.</strong>   He couldn’t even fly if it were tomorrow.   It would be too risky to plan stuff around him and he’s completely OK with this.   He’s also not into weddings and is all for eloping as a more practical option.   Mom will have to have to fly/drive/train here somehow, just like other people, if she wants to be here.   We chose our location where there is an airport.   She has a lot of anxiety and takes Xanax if we just talk about flying on the phone.  Mind you, she has visited me twice before, and was trying to visit me this summer but schedules did not work out.   She’s capable of flying, it’s not debilitating. Some of her comments are really off.  They always have been even before dad's illness.   Background – she’s got a horrible marriage with my father, she’s already insecure, thinks everyone’s talking about her or making her look dumb.   Very easily hurt.  I know she's depressed too.   Examples: She wants to make her trip out here a vacation time with me.   She said she prefers to stay in our house before the wedding (fly into an airport near us) stay with us 48 hours before the wedding, then come back when it's all over. "Is there going to be anything else besides a wedding, because that's a long way to go for just a wedding." “What’s the point in going out there for 2-3 days if I cannot even stay at your house?    I might as well not even go, and then visit you a month later when it's over." I finally said, this visit is not the time to be hosting guests.   I will be too stressed/busy to host people.   No she wouldn't come to help out.  That's just not my mom.  She told me she guesses she   understands, but will eventually get over it.   This seemed to have prompted other comments. My sisters have told me that she’s  decided to not even go at all!  Note: I travel home two times every year for the past 12 years.   I’ll still see them 2x the year of my wedding.   The wedding is like a bonus visit. I do not believe letting her stay in my home prior to the wedding will fix everything. She's convinced I simply don't want her to visit me.  Our schedules not lining up this summer also had something to do with this hurt. I told her we’re having a 3 day weekend event so that we can all see each other while we’re here. We might even get to hang out Monday before our HM. Then one sister and her family are going to Yellowstone and mom can go with them if she wants.   Sister invited her.   So it’s not “just 2-3 days!” "How can you do this to us?" - She means "making" her fly out to see a wedding - I've lived here for 12 years!  The west is my home!  You wanted to come out West just this summer!   Dad is not upset about where it’s at.   His goal is to just stay alive until March to see his two new grandbabies. "Why are you excited to get married?  You already live together" - WTF.  We just moved in together 5 months ago after we got engaged, and dated for 3 years!  I was married before.   She did not see me get married the first time around, actually no one did because of her.   <strong>I was planning something in my state and gave her 6 months’ notice to save $$.</strong>   Her answer was, "Well gee, I don't know what we're going to be doing 6 months from now."   That right there stopped me I my tracks of planning anything.    This time I will proceed without her there. She complains that she's not going to have enough money for a ticket (probably split lodging and a car with a sister), but then she emails me asking if she should buy new solid surface counter-tops for $2200! Another example, she cried in the dressing room of my other sister's wedding [all of us were in there] because she felt so ugly and no one told her she looked good.  Cried!   We told her she was not ugly, but it's not about her, it's about sister's wedding day.  We are not into coddling her. What do you think?  Is this how depressed people talk?   Is she jealous of her children’s happiness?   Is this narcissist?   She is rather awkward in social situations.   As in doesn’t know how to engaged and ask questions about the other person.   She’s always thinking someone’s out to make her look dumb.  
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]

While your mom sounds very difficult, I would expect to not be myself either if my husband were dying. I'd give her a little extra wiggle room here. I know you said she's always been like this, but I just wouldn't expect much from her. You say they have a bad marriage, but still...someone she's married to is dying.

Also, pretty much TELLING her you were giving her time to pay for your wedding was kind of crappy. You don't tell someone they are paying for your wedding. They offer, and you accept or decline. It's never expected.

I'm just saying--your mom sounds difficult, but you seem a little difficult, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "You don't tell someone they are paying for your wedding."

This was grossly misinterpreted and I didn't clarify enough, so let me clarify.

I NEVER ask anyone to pay for my stuff, especially wedding stuff.  I believe a wedding is the sole responsibility of the couple. 

I was telling her she had 6 MONTHS TO SAVE UP FOR A PLANE TICKET TO UTAH.

Yes, my dad has been battling cancer for 5 years.  We thought he wouldn't live past 18 months and that was 3 years ago.  Who knows what the next year will bring.  Both their lives are very depressing and their marriage is awful - always has been.  If dad needs hospice care or 24 hours care come summer, then that is completely understandable if she cannot go then. 

Currently, he's not on hospice care and still can drive, etc.  They do not do anything together, he takes himself to all his appointments, like bad roommates.  One of the reasons why I moved away from them 12 years ago - I cannot stand to witness their unhealthy interactions.

NOTE: she was trying to visit me in Utah this summer (as in fly, get hotels, do a  road trip together), but our schedules never lined up.  She has said to me that she believes I just didn't want her to visit!  No, every weekend I proposed to her that I was free didn't work out with her.  I tried!  Example A) she is capable of coming here with flights and hotels and all.  She's done it before.

She also was all excited to come to Jackson Hole (where the wedding will be in July) because I have taken her there before.  However, the excitement quickly turned when she learned I wasn't able to accommodate house guests in my home 48 hours before my wedding.  All these times she slept in a hotel just fine (not sleeping well and flying were her anxieties).  Example B) she was at one point excited to come out here and see JH again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards