Moms and Maids
Options

Bridesmaids dress question

I have 8 bridesmaids. Originally I had a dress picked out for them, but 2 girls informed me it was out of their budget. I am now having each of them pick out a dress that they want, so that they can find something they will wear again and it wont break their budgets. I am having them stick to my color family and knee length.
4 girls have dresses and 4 girls dont.
My wedding is less than 5 months away, and 3 of my girls are saying that they arent going to look for a dress until august.
It has me completely stressed that they wont find something in time. and wont have time for alterations.

Question:
Should I set a date for them to have  a dress by, and if so when should it be?
How would you handle this situation?

Re: Bridesmaids dress question

• Options
    The date they need the dress by is your wedding date. Five months is way early. They can easily find something off the rack in August or even September. And honestly, they may not need alterations, and if they do, it shouldn't take more than a couple weeks at most to get them done by a local seamstress.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-dress-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:be9e06ea-cb64-4997-984b-2d95fd8e391bPost:1dc1652f-9219-4175-96f8-191317ac42ff">Re: Bridesmaids dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]The date they need the dress by is your wedding date. Five months is way early. They can easily find something off the rack in August or even September. And honestly, they may not need alterations, and if they do, it shouldn't take more than a couple weeks at most to get them done by a local seamstress.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. However, knowing my girls if I dont give them a date or some kind of guideline they will wait til last minute and make it more stressful on everyone than it needs to be. Thats why I was wanting to see if it is appropriate to give them a date.
  • Options
    If you've told them the color and length guidelines, then your part is done and you don't need to worry about it because it is now their responsibility. I don't understand how individual people procrastinating on buying a dress will be stressful on anyone but themselves. Don't let it get to you and just relax. Because since they're not ordering from a particular place that needs time to get the dresses in, it is not appropriate to tell them any date to have the dress besides the wedding day.
  • Options
    I think if they are going to order a dress that has to be shipped out or something then they should give the dress extra time to get in so I would give that like 3-4 months.If they are going to get a dress from a store i would say just have the dress maybe like a month before the wedding. I am in my cousins wedding in June and I am STILL waiting for my dress to come from here comes the bridesmaid (i ordered the darn thing in January).  Getting a dress altered wont take long at all that is the quick part. I think that is great same color different dress.they say thats the new thing  
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, they'll get it done. Maybe offer to go shopping with them one day though so you can hint at a timeline without being too pushy.
  • Options
    http://www.dresstimes.com/product.php?productid=23214&cat=332&page=2
    Buying the bridesmaid dresses in one order from a webstore maybe a good choice.
    What do you think,dear?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards