Moms and Maids
Options

Dress Problem!!!!!!!

I'm having a formal, evening wedding in November and my colors are blue and orange. I wanted my bridesmaids wearing short (knee length) strapless blue dresses and holding orange boquets, my mom thinks will look very dumb because of the formality and the time of year. What should I do?  Should I have them wear dresses with straps, or longer dresses or is my style fine?
November 2011 Siggy Challenge - February - Venue

Photobucket
Daisypath Wedding tickers
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Dress Problem!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    As for the length of the dress, you know what style you are going for. My opinion-shorter dresses are for more semi-formal weddings.  Floor length is for more formal weddings.  That being said, do you think the knee-length will go with the formality of your wedding? 
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    A short dress can be just as formal as a long dress in my opinion. Your style seems fine to me.

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    A formal evening wedding really dictates long dresses.

I don't see any problem with the color though
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think your idea is fine.  I don't care for floor length bridesmaids' gowns simply because I like the wedding gown to be the only one that extends below tea length!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think it will look fine together. Ask your florist for help as well. My girls are wearing knee length dresses for a formal daytime wedding. I thought about the long dresses, but judging by weddings I have been to in the past, dancing and everything at the reception you get so hot and long, bulky dresses can be so uncomfortable. That is the reason why I went with short dresses. I think it also depends on how you accessorize them as well. And you have to take into consideration the venue and the time of year, how hot it will be, etc.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    By formal, are you saying black-tie formal will be printed on the invitation? If the guests will be wearing tuxes, dinner jackets and evening gowns, the BMs should wear floor length gowns.

But for most 'formal' weddings, knee length cocktail dresses would be fine. For this type of events male guests wear suits and ladies wear cocktail dresses, dressy suits or long gowns. The dress code is more flexible, but still very dressy.

Since Detroit is chilly in November, the BMs might need wraps or boleros to wear over their dresses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards