Moms and Maids
Options

Maid of Honor passed away.

A beloved cousin passed away a couple of years ago. And we were very close and made a "pact" as children to be part of each other's wedding parties. I am now engaged and trying to pick my bridal party and I want to ask her mother, my aunt, to take her place and actually be my Matron of Honor.  I need to know if I am being selfish to ask her and how I should go about asking her. I do not want to open the wounds of my cousin's death. But I feel with how close my Aunt and I have become, there is no one else I would want by my side to honor my cousin's memory on my big day.

Re: Maid of Honor passed away.

• Options
    I also think she would be honored, this is so sweet... I dont think you will open any wounds, she would be proud to stand up there with you. Good luck and so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    I would ask your Aunt to be your MOH, but not to "take the place" of her daughter.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_maid-of-honor-passed-away?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:d5d3b42f-b4c9-4cc4-9149-5f2f0c74478aPost:c8b23143-ca15-4cc9-a9d5-8758cba54ca8">Re: Maid of Honor passed away.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would ask your Aunt to be your MOH, but not to "take the place" of her daughter. I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin.
    Posted by twotimemob[/QUOTE]

ditto this.  I think it's lovely that you and your aunt are close and that you want her to be your MOH, but don't ask her to stand in for her daughter.  She should be your MOH b/c you are close, not b/c she's genetically similar to the person you wish could fill that spot. 
  • Options
     My daughters close high school friend died thier freshman year of college. When my daughter was married several years later, she had her friend listed as an honorary bridesmaid  - her name was printed in the program and additional flowers were placed on the alter. This was a day of celebration - not grief - but this was a way to honor that missing piece
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards