Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid-zilla

So one of my bridesmaids refused to wear purple in my wedding (my colors are brown and purple). I said fine, the girls can wear brown. She refused to carry down purple flowers (cause she hates purple for some reason). She also refused to buy the shoes I picked out for my bridesmaids to wear. Fine, I told her to just buy whatever she wants, but she'll stick out like a sore thumb. After much annoyance she got me to change the shoes for all of them.

Now, my Matron of Honor just planned a bridal shower for me and asked the other bridesmaids to chip in (cause she couldn't afford it all on her own) and this same bridesmaid SAID she'd chip in. A week before the shower she said she was broke and couldn't make it to the shower cause she had to go out of town.  Fine. I didn't seem to want her there anyway.

Since then, both my church and FH's church are planning me bridal showers. I picked dates and I thought I'd be nice and invite this bridesmaid to one or the other. She said that she couldn't come to one cause she's throwing a shower for someone else (and she's not even a bridesmaid or family to that girl). Then she coudn't come to the other one either cause she's going to her boyfriend's GREAT AUNT'S birthday party.

I blew up at her and said if she didn't want to be a bridesmaid, it would be okay if she told me. (Because she's done nothing but complain from the get go). She said that wasn't it, I just wasn't choosing dates that worked for her. I needed to ask her before I chose dates.

I haven't been a bridezilla at all till now. I really don't think I should have to ask anyone before I choose a date for a shower. And when I was a bridesmaid, I dropped whatever plans I had to go to showers. Especially the one the bridesmaids were  throwing.

It's okay if anyone tells me I'm wrong for being infuriated with this girl. I just needed to rant for a bit.

Re: Bridesmaid-zilla

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-zilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:e9113351-c850-48cf-8212-d0f03634f518Post:66d1380e-1186-48c1-9cad-8dd9d8c73552">Bridesmaid-zilla</a>:
    [QUOTE]So one of my bridesmaids refused to wear purple in my wedding (my colors are brown and purple). I said fine, the girls can wear brown. She refused to carry down purple flowers (cause she hates purple for some reason). She also refused to buy the shoes I picked out for my bridesmaids to wear. Fine, I told her to just buy whatever she wants, but she'll stick out like a sore thumb. After much annoyance she got me to change the shoes for all of them. Now, my Matron of Honor just planned a bridal shower for me and asked the other bridesmaids to chip in (cause she couldn't afford it all on her own) and this same bridesmaid SAID she'd chip in. A week before the shower she said she was broke and couldn't make it to the shower cause she had to go out of town.  Fine. I didn't seem to want her there anyway. Since then, both my church and FH's church are planning me bridal showers. I picked dates and I thought I'd be nice and invite this bridesmaid to one or the other. She said that she couldn't come to one cause she's throwing a shower for someone else (and she's not even a bridesmaid or family to that girl). Then she coudn't come to the other one either cause she's going to her boyfriend's GREAT AUNT'S birthday party. I blew up at her and said if she didn't want to be a bridesmaid, it would be okay if she told me. (Because she's done nothing but complain from the get go). She said that wasn't it, I just wasn't choosing dates that worked for her. I needed to ask her before I chose dates. I haven't been a bridezilla at all till now. I really don't think I should have to ask anyone before I choose a date for a shower. And when I was a bridesmaid, I dropped whatever plans I had to go to showers. Especially the one the bridesmaids were  throwing. It's okay if anyone tells me I'm wrong for being infuriated with this girl. I just needed to rant for a bit.
    Posted by frotheecappuccino[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>The purple thing is ridiculous and you shouldn't have changed for her but you were very nice to do so.</div><div>
    </div><div>The girls don't all need to wear the same shoes.  They won't stick out like "sore thumbs" if one of them wore different shoes.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Things happen with money.  Sometimes it just goes more quickly than you think.  You shouldn't have been told that she couldn't pay her portion of the shower that she couldn't attend.  I'm assuming your BM are adults and they should have worked that out between themselves and not involved you.</div><div>
    </div><div>Showers are not mandatory for her to attend.  My girls didn't come to mine, no biggy.  It would have been nice for her to show up to one of your showers but she doesn't have to.

</div>
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am sorry to hear that you are going through that. It has always been my understanding that when you say yes to being a BM, then you wear what colors the bride wants you to. It is the bride and grooms wedding, so who cares if it isn't their favorite color? If she can't get over herself for a day, then I would consider asking someone else to take her place and explain you decision nicely to her. She can't go ruining and controlling your wedding bc she refuses to wear the colors you choose for your wedding.
  • MrsParker6411MrsParker6411 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be finding a replacement. you need dependable bridesmaids. thats kinda what theyre for right? She seems like more stress and trouble than what you need. BMs are supposed to help lighten the load not add to it.
    Anniversary
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-zilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:e9113351-c850-48cf-8212-d0f03634f518Post:aa0e0e42-0e51-420a-8bd5-2d437e48a303">Re: Bridesmaid-zilla</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would be finding a replacement. you need dependable bridesmaids. thats kinda what theyre for right? She seems like more stress and trouble than what you need. BMs are supposed to help lighten the load not add to it.
    Posted by MrsParker6411[/QUOTE]
    No on finding a replace, and the only thing that they need to be dependable is to be AT the wedding not any other bridal activity. Bridesmaids are suppose to be your closest friends/family, not props for making sides even, not to make them your slaves.<div>
    </div><div>I will stick up for you and say that you should have stuck to your guns about the colors if she really can't stand wearing purple for one freaking day she needs a friendship check because a friend would suck it up for a day and wear the color the bride picks. As for the shoes, I'm telling you, that no one gives a big whoop about shoes if they are the same or different, as long as they are nice dress shoes (one color would be fine just to keep some cohesiveness) I don't ever notice BMs shoes at a wedding (maybe if they were bowling or clown shoes then it might be more noticeable). </div><div>
    </div><div>MOH should NOT have brought you into the Bridal Shower problem. She's a big girl she needs to deal with it, if the bridesmaid has become financially strapped MOH should cut down on some things. And if bridesmaid cant make the shower, you have to let it go, people have lives and you can not dictate how they run it. Plus she has a FAMILY commitment, I'm sorry, but I don't care if my BFF had a shower the same day as something dealing with family, my family is and always will be FIRST and my friends know this (I have turned down things because of family things and they are annoyed but understand), as for her planning another shower, she has already made a commitment to that Bride to go back on her word would be rude, if you really want her there you will work with her on a shower date, if not proceed without her. </div><div>
    </div><div>Once again all a bridesmaid has to do is get the dress (which you should have stuck your guns with the color), show up sober to the wedding, and smiling for pictures. Everything else that they offer is icing on the cake which include, hosting any parties, coming to any parties, and helping the bride with invites, favors, etc. You need to take a deep breath and let this go, do NOT ask her to step down, she obviously doesn't want to, so just leave all this stuff alone.</div>
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Don't replace her.  That is a no-no.  It is disrespectful to the replacement, who wasn't good enough to make the cut the first time.

2. I think you were being nice by changing your colors to accommodate her and she's being over the top with her apparent disgust for the color purple.

3. Shoes don't have to match.  No one will notice or care about her shoes.

4. My MOH and FMIL (who both threw showers) did check with the BMs before setting the date.  Not everyone's schedule is going to work with every event.  It happens and you just have to let that go.  But, I do think it is nice to at least check with the VIPs if you expect them to attend, or plan to attend.

5. Stuff happens with money.  Regardless of what she is spending her money on (including other showers) if she can't afford it then she can't afford it.
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you care that somebody attend an event, then yes, it is appropriate to check the date with that person in advance.  It is unreasonable of you to expect that she back out of prior plans she had made because of your shower, no matter what those plans were.  The fact that YOU would drop prior committments to attend a shower doesn't mean that you can demand that of other people.
    Married 10/2/10
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ah, expectations...

The purple thing is ridiculous - you were really nice in changing the dress color and shoes for her.

The rest...?  Well, I think you need to tone down your expectations for this girl.  If she has her dress and plans on showing up for the wedding, be happy with that.  Otherwise, I think you'll go down the dangerous road of "well, she won't come to showers so clearly she's a bad friend."  It's not a good idea to equate the two.

I'm MOH in my older sister's wedding right now and I feel a bit like I'm failing in certain areas simply because I don't have time or money.  I'm so scared she's going to be upset with me but circumstances are what they are.  My inability has nothing to do with how much I love my sister.  I'd be devasted if she started thinking so...
  • eleonhardteleonhardt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People in life seem to show their true colors when big moments happen....whether good or bad, a friend should always be there for you. Sounds like she isnt too much of a good friend. When accepting the position of BM, that means you go with the flow and do what the bride wants. I have worn some weird dresses in my day but you just put on a happy face and deal with it.

i am sorry to hear you are dealing with this, think about everything and you know, you can always ask her to not be in the wedding, especially if she is going to make your life stressful up until the big day.

good luck!
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-zilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:e9113351-c850-48cf-8212-d0f03634f518Post:c62c6db6-da22-405d-a05e-190e40b58677">Re: Bridesmaid-zilla</a>:
    [QUOTE]People in life seem to show their true colors when big moments happen....whether good or bad, a friend should always be there for you. Sounds like she isnt too much of a good friend. When accepting the position of BM, that means you go with the flow and do what the bride wants. I have worn some weird dresses in my day but you just put on a happy face and deal with it. i am sorry to hear you are dealing with this, think about everything and you know, you can always ask her to not be in the wedding, especially if she is going to make your life stressful up until the big day. good luck!
    Posted by eleonhardt[/QUOTE]

Sigh.  So.... because I can't throw my older sister a bridal shower, commit to showing up before the rehearsal for the wedding, or even buy her a wedding gift, I'm a bad MOH/sister/friend? 

It's very dangerous to have this mentality going into your wedding that all your friends are going to drop everything and behave to your perfect standards at all your pre-wedding functions. 

Yes, you want them to come.  Yes, you can be a little bummed if they don't make it.  But the fact remains that we all have lives and circumstance can get in the way.  It doesn't necessarily dictate that the person doesn't care for you and to assume so only leads to hurt feelings, misunderstandings, bumped bridesmaids and ruined friendships. 

This is a wedding!  Be understanding, go with the flow and move on to other more important things that cause "stress."
  • xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-zilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:e9113351-c850-48cf-8212-d0f03634f518Post:c62c6db6-da22-405d-a05e-190e40b58677">Re: Bridesmaid-zilla</a>:
    [QUOTE]People in life seem to show their true colors when big moments happen....whether good or bad, a friend should always be there for you. Sounds like she isnt too much of a good friend. When accepting the position of BM, that means you go with the flow and do what the bride wants. <strong>I have worn some weird dresses in my day but you just put on a happy face and deal with it.</strong>
    Posted by eleonhardt[/QUOTE]

Yup, and that's all that was ever required of you or anyone who signs on to be a bridesmaid. You do not have to "go with the flow and do what the bride wants" gee, I envy your free time and money that potentially requires.
  • lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree about your annoyances, especially since she wants to plan someone elses shower and not even come to yours.

I understand what the other ladies are saying about how some people don't have all the money and that things happen, but I know I would suck it up and do anything for my girls because I love them dearly. I think you were more then accomodating in switching the dress color, but then she won't even carry the purple flowers? That is insane.

It doesn't sound she is on your side much or willing to budge about anything. She is a bit selfish if you ask me. I'm sure you will see her true colors in the future I am afraid to say.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I understand her shoes sticking out especially if she goes with a lime green or hot pink. If it was the same color it wouldn't really matter
  • edited December 2011
    All right. My big deal about her not coming to showers is that she didn't seem the least bit sad that she couldn't make it. I'm sorry...even if I don't want to go to something, I always say "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it! Wish I could be there!". And she didn't. And I have been working with her on dates, but nothing works with her schedules so I've given up.

As for the shoes, all the other girls agreed on a color and style. She's the only one that wanted something different, so she wanted the other girls to change their shoes to fit what she wanted. Sorry I didn't make that clear. That's why I told her I didn't care if she stuck out if she didn't want to buy what the other girls wanted.

Well I guess I didn't understand what it meant to be a bridesmaid. I thought there was more to just standing at  a wedding.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-zilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:e9113351-c850-48cf-8212-d0f03634f518Post:a13b3b7a-2f36-46b1-862e-5e10eee18826">Re: Bridesmaid-zilla</a>:
    [QUOTE]All right. My big deal about her not coming to showers is that she didn't seem the least bit sad that she couldn't make it. I'm sorry...even if I don't want to go to something, I always say "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it! Wish I could be there!". And she didn't. And I have been working with her on dates, but nothing works with her schedules so I've given up. As for the shoes, all the other girls agreed on a color and style. She's the only one that wanted something different, so she wanted the other girls to change their shoes to fit what she wanted. Sorry I didn't make that clear. That's why I told her I didn't care if she stuck out if she didn't want to buy what the other girls wanted. <strong>Well I guess I didn't understand what it meant to be a bridesmaid. I thought there was more to just standing at  a wedding.</strong>
    Posted by frotheecappuccino[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>There is.  She shouldn't have given you such a hard time.  She doesn't sound like all that great of a person but she's in your WP, you chose her now you have a diva on your hands.</div><div>
    </div><div>From what it sounds like, I wouldn't have expected her to sound sorry that she couldn't make it to your pre-wedding parties.  She sounds selfish and thoughtless so you should stop being surprised that that's the way she's coming off.  </div><div>
    </div><div>My advice to you is to not expect anything of her except for her to show up to your wedding.  This way you have no expectations and you won't be disappointed by her actions.  I wouldn't try to plan anything around her anymore either.  It's just too much work for you and still leads to disappointment.  

</div>
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know why you would expect her to be sorry.  Based on her past behavior she doesn't really seem like the "I wish I could be there type."  If you lower your expectations you won't be disappointed.

It is nice if BMs participate above buying the dress and showing up but they don't have to.  She sounds like one of those BMs.  The less you expect the less you'll be disappointed.
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree. It is all about choices and priorities. She doesn't seem to think this is a priority and you need to accept that. You shouldn't have changed the color, but what is done is done and you are really sweet for doing it. Just from now on, things that you want to happen, don't let her alter. Don't expect her to show up to anything but the wedding, unfortunately. Other than that I'm really sorry and I hope things get better :) If you want to treat yourself to something email me at vee@swimspot.com. I can get you 25% off a new swimsuit for the honeymoon. You sound like you deserve a break.
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Expect her to flake for the wedding itself.  That way if she doesn't, you will be happily surprised.  After the wedding, I would call 1 time to hang out & then after that wait for her to call you to do friend stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    This is YOUR wedding. Sorry to those who think that for some reason the bride should have to work around others schedules but I don't think that that is the case. I did it for quite a while and realized I was becoming resentful of my friends. I had been arranging my wedding errands/dress shopping/bridal shower/etc. around what worked best for my friends schedules not what worked best for mine. I finally put a stop to that and started setting dates for things and not asking if they were good for everyone else, and I'm much more happy for doing it. The people who want to be there will be there and those who can't make it won't. Having said that, you can't be upset if you're not willing to budge on a date and someone can't make it. It doesn't mean that they have bad intentions or are doing it to hurt you but sometimes things come up and that's life. It sounds like you have a selfish BM on your hands either way but you've already asked her and it's too late now so you are just going to have to deal with that. Just don't let it suprise you if she continues her pattern of not being there for you. Let it go and move on, focus on all of your amazing friends who are there with you, not the one who isn't. Her loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards