Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

not doing makeup?

I don't normally wear any makeup. Occasionally I will put on some eyeshadow but that's about it. I went for a makeup trial a couple weeks ago and it looked fine, but no one seemed to think it made me look any better and a couple people said I really didn't need to wear makeup. I haven't booked an appointment because of this. The wedding is in 11 days. At this point I'm just planning on doing a bit with my eyes... I'm still just a bit worried that if I don't do makeup my skin will look bad in pictures, or that I'll regret it. Or what if I break out a couple days before just from nerves? Then again I don't think the foundation or powder looks very good on me either - it made my face really shiny which it isn't normally. I'll be wearing my glasses for the wedding. Can anyone recommend a good brown pencil to use? I'm brunette, have grayish blue eyes and medium skin tone. I'm thinking of using brown and purple on my eyes. My lips are also really dark pink and I don't usually use lipstick - just gloss. Has anyone not done makeup for the wedding or is anyone else not planning on it? What's your experience?

Re: not doing makeup?

• Are you having a pro-protographer?  If you are you should go along the make-up route because the flash can be extremely harsh and unflattering on naked skin- making you look pasty or shiny - both bad : ( If you aren't used to wearing make up ask them to tone it down and make sure they understand you want to look natural, you don't want to feel uncomfortable.  But I see no reason why you can't wear lip gloss instead of lipstick though.Just re-read the post and it sounds like they didn't do a great job -You could just pop in to a department store and ask them to recommend some matt foundation to reduce shine (MAC is a good one) and some pressed powder, or get them to show you how to do your own make up.If you are just having friends take your photos with standard cameras I'm sure you can pull it off without make up
  • I don't normally wear makeup either and I happen to think that I look a little strange with makeup on. However, compare a picture of yourself with makeup to one without. Just because you look fine in person without makeup doesn't mean you'll look good in photos without it. I notice a HUGE difference in pictures of me with and without makeup!
  • I normally don't wear makeup either, but I'm doing it myself for the wedding. I think a little foundation will go a long way, or even just a loose powder on your face. Try going to Sephora or a makeup counter at a dept. store and asking them for advice and recs for products.  Just be very clear on what you are asking for, they will be happy to help you and you can likely get a similar product for much less at CVS or Walgreens (Almay, for example, is the same company as Clinique).
  • I never wear makeup. Ever. I was a bridesmaid recently and very turned off by the amount of makeup I had on in formal pictures (I had it professionally done). I am planning on doing my own makeup for my wedding in Sept., and I plan on using Youngblood, a minerals makeup line. Instead of liquid foundation and eyeshadow, they use powder. I am going with the bare essentials: foundation, blush, eyeliner, mascara, and some sort of lipgloss. Good luck!
  • dbmusdbmus member
    First Comment
    Thanks for the comments! I did actually compare pictures of me with the makeup from the trial to pictures of me without makeup and thought I looked better without it. And the trial wasn't bad... they just did a little, very natural, the lady even asked if I wanted foundation at all. I didn't know that pro-photography can make you look worse though... So what about the guys, then? Do the photographers just "edit" the pictures?
  • Agreed with PP regarding flash photography washing you out. I don't wear much MU either. But I want to make sure I look good in photos, so I'll be wearing more around my eyes. And I'll definitely be wearing foundation to even out my skin tone.
  • Make-up can be a wonderful thing if done right. Even if you dont usually wear make up the is so much available out there to just give you a lift and make your eyes pop. Bare escentuals is fantastic on most people and you can put as little of as much as you need gradually, you will need a bit of moisturizer and monistat chafing is FANTASTIC for a primer over mouisturizer before faoundation. It will give you a vvery smooth look and not pricy at all. About $7.00 at Walmart. I use it during the humid months and it works wonders. Dont be afraid of make-up. You can still acheive you but better buy practicing yourself and see what you like best. Even my mother in law wants me to do her make-up for my daughters wedding and she NEVER wears make up. I did a trial run and she loved it and so did the family. It was her but better....she really looked fantastic. Do wear make up and dont over do. You will be quiet pleased! As for blush and eyes...a glowing pink is great on brides, get help with a shade for your skintone and a nice mascara for eyes. You can use you blush to lightly add color to your lids and a medium brown to lightly line and a great mascara.  You will look fantastic. Like I said, you but better. Have fun and good luck!!
  • I don't wear makeup either and wasn't planning on it. However, after reading the threads on here, I might at least get a trial to see if it will help. I'm already pasty as all get out, so a flash could end up making me look like Casper, the friendly ghost. Not good!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards