Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Damaged Hair

Hey ladies!  I need some hair advice.  I just ordered my dress and have recently started looking at veils and hairstyles.  I always thought I'd wear my hair up and out of the way, but after looking at tons of photos, I think have decided that I really love the look of half-up/half-down with loose, natural-looking curls.  However, about 8 months ago, my hair dresser at the time messed up while coloring my hair and I had to go back to another hair dresser a few times to re-color it.  The color looks better but it left my hair pretty damaged with split-ends.  I get regular trims and deep condition it often which definitely helps.  It's finally starting to grow out some (thank goodness!) and luckily, I have until June for my wedding.  But I know it won't be completely back to normal by then.  I know there is no way to actually "repair" damaged hair, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to "mask" it I guess you could say (?) to make it appear healthier..?  I know some products help hide split-ends.  I was also wondering if you think a hair stylist could still make it look good while it's down for the day of the wedding.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I guess I'm asking you all on here because I don't have a trust-worthy stylist at the moment!  Haha, I'm still searching for one...Thanks in advance!!

Re: Damaged Hair

• Options
    I have found that curls hide damaged/split ends pretty well, so I think you'll be fine for the day of with a curly down hairstyle.I'm using Loreal's Ever Pure Smoothing Deep Conditioner for my split ends, and it's helping a lot. when I used to color my hair a lot, I also used John Frieda's Frizz Ease serum (the light formula) on my ends to keep the frizziness/splits at bay.in the meantime, make sure you're protecting your hair before you use heat as well as deep conditioning. use a heat spray (like Chi, or Sunsilk) on your hair before blowdrying and straightening or curling.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply!  That's what I was thinking and hoping for (what you said about curls hiding split-ends).  I straighten my hair often and it makes it look sooo much better...although I know how bad it is for your hair.  Anyway, I've been using Pantene Heat Protector prior to blowdrying and straightening.  This may be a silly question, but how often do you deep condition your hair?  I try to do mine at least twice per week, but I was wondering if it's any better for it if I did it daily.  If it actually helps, then I'm willing to try whatever I need to, but I was just curious before I go wasting money.  P.S.  Thanks for the suggestion about the John Frieda serum...I will definitely try that!
  • Options
    I grew out my hair suuuuuper long for my wedding and wore my hair half up/half down and since my hair is high lighted and colored it was VERY damaged come wedding day.h/ever, you could not tell in the photos.as soon as the wedding was over, we cut off 8 inches and had a proper burial for my poor dead hair :-(here is a photo of my wedding hair if you are looking for style ideas:[img]http://leoandvanessa.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/9/7/2397263/5639018.jpg?349x520[/img]
  • Options
    oh, and another you can do to help condition your hair is use Kerastase nutritive masquintense- at night in the shower wash your hair, then apply this masque (don't rinse).sleep with it on and in the morning rinse it off. if you do something like this at least once a week it will really help with the condition of your hair. you can also apply it when your hair is dry and let it sit for a few hours while you do housework etc- then rinse.
  • Options
    to answer your question, I deep condition my hair twice a week. but my hair isn't as damaged as most, since I don't color my hair. it's only heat-damaged.

• Options
    and if you've never used the Frizz Ease serum, here's how you use it: apply it when your hair is soaking wet--not dripping, at least dry it with the towel a little bit, but it needs to be very wet still. put a little in your palm (no larger than a penny), spread it around on your hands, then apply only to the ends of your hair. use a comb to distribute it evenly, again, staying on the ends. don't go higher than the middle of the shaft of your hair. your hair can then be air-dried or blow-dried.you want to keep this stuff away from the roots, since it will make the roots greasy and your hair fall flat.

• Options
    Gorjush, no one would've ever known that your hair is damaged in that picture...it looks so great!  Thanks for giving me hope :-)  That's pretty much the same look I am going for also, except mine is not quite that long yet.  P.S.  I love your flowers too.Pooh8402, thanks for the directions on the serum.  I will definitely go look for some of that today!    
  • Options
    [IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2zqbho8.jpg[/IMG]these lovely ladies have given you great advice. my hair is super damaged because its so long. the curling iron does wonders!! i wish i had a hair stylist at all times.GL :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Goldwell Kerasilk Conditioning TREATMENT...not the normal shampoo and conditioner...but the treatment conditioner. It works wonders on damaged hair! You use it every other day after you shampoo and let it sit as long as you can in the shower, then rinse...once you start to notice a change..which may be weeks...then you can do it less often per week. It is expensive at the salons, so if you know someone who has a license to buy it at the beauty store I would go that route! I 100% believe in this product, it saved my hair!
  • Options
    hey katie thanks! and don't worry too much about this issue. you will be just fine!
  • Options
    Then there's always extensions.  Which I think I will need for an updo.  My hair is super fine.
  • Options
    use a serum to smooth split endsI like Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum, Morrocanoil and Kerastase nutri serum
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Options
    I also wore extensions on my wedding day to add a bit of length and volume!
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Options
    Look into Keratin hair treatments... they are pretty pricey but AMAZING at helping damaged hair look lush and silky smooth!If you can't go that route, what I do is a V05 hot oil treatment coupled with Pantene's Long Lengths 5 minute hair mask once/week. I switch off between cheapo shampoo/Dove conditioner one day and Freida's blond shampoo/conditioner line the next. Every time I get out I use the Dove Daily Replenishing mist and I love that stuff! It's like a light leave in conditioner... smells good, doesn't gunk up the hair. The biggest thing I would recommend though would totally be the keratin treatment...Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the great advice!  I bought some better salon shampoo, condition, and serum (Biosilk) and Biolage deep conditioner the other day and have been using it for the past few days, and so far, I LOVE it!!  My hair already feels stronger and smoother just by using different products...I have to admit I was using cheaper ones before because I didn't realize it would make such a huge difference.  Now I'm kind of kicking myself for it :-)  But thanks..I appreciate the info!Some of you mentioned extensions, but I'm a little hesitant because I really don't know much about them to be honest...cost, how do you match your hair color, where to get them, who to trust, would it look okay on me, etc.Also, where can I get the Keratin treatment stuff?  Is that something I can buy in a store or would I need to try a salon?
  • Options
    I second Verona and recommend Paul Mitchell super skinny serum. It will also reduce your drying time and help prevent further damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards