Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Hair growth suggestions?

Hello ladies :)Perhaps this is a ridiculous question to even bring up, but does anyone know of any sort of supplement or anything in general that helps hair growth? My wedding is in roughly 5 months and as that is still a lot of time, my hair takes FOREVER to grow. At the moment, it falls midway between my chest and I'm not a busty girl. It is long, but I'm going for a retro hairstyle and will be leaving my hair down, but curled, so that alone takes off several inches of length. I'm on prenatal vitamins so I'll clear up that myth that it helps your hair grow...hahaAny suggestions would be wonderful!

Re: Hair growth suggestions?

• Options
    5000 mcg of biotin a day- i took this supplement for about the same amt of time you're looking at now and it helped keep my hair healthier, stronger, and growing faster than normal. it also did the same with my nails! GL!
  • Options
    Biotin, for sure.  When I was taking it, I noticed how much faster the hair under my arms was growing, so I'm sure it was helping my head, too!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I 3rd the Biotin suggestion!! It work great..it makes your hair, nails and skin look noticeably healthier and your hair and nails grow a lot faster!!
  • Options
    To beat a dead horse, biotin. Walmart sells the 5,000 mcg pills for pretty cheap for a big bottle of them (it's a green bottle). I ditto what everyone else said about what it does! :)
  • Options
    hmm I was going to suggest pre-natal vitamins but maybe I should try this Biotin as well! lol I'm makin a trip out to Wal-Mart later today I just may have to pick some up
  • Options
    Pre-natal vitamins! My hair grows very fast and is much shinier since I started taking it in May.
  • Options
    After everyone's suggestions, I think I am going to pick up some biotin! My doctor had initially prescribed prenatal vitamins for me after I complained about feeling lethargic. Ladies! If you're on prenatal vitamins make sure you take one EVERY OTHER day-since you're not taking them for pregnancy, our bodies can't have that much of specific vitamins in the prenatal. Any who, they aren't doing a thing for my lack of energy nor my hair! haha
  • Options
    actually, biotin is supposed to help with energy and metabolism as well. google it to see all the uses.
  • Options
    Biotin is a B-vitamin, so I agree about the energy/metabolism thing.however, it doesn't make your hair grow FASTER, merely STRONGER. you ladies that have notice your hair growing faster, your hair is merely stronger and not breaking as easily.my hair has always grown fast (I'm talking like 10 inches a year) but it broke easily due to damage so I could never get it very long. I started taking biotin about a year ago, and my hair has gotten to its longest length ever because it doesn't break as easily.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    and prenatal vitamins have biotin in them. hth.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Try Ovation cell therapy shampoo. It is guarenteed and will also thicken and add shine. I just ordered it yesterday!

<a href="http://www.theknot.com?cm_sp=community_badge-_-classicbride-_-20090903&quot;&gt;&lt;img src="http://partnerimages.theknot.com/classicbride.gif&quot; border="0" alt="Visit The Knot!" /></a>
  • Options

My hair breaks off in the middle area and being an African American woman with short hair it's very noticeable what can I do my wedding is in 6 months, I don't want to wear weave and I want it to grow an suggestions? Oh by the way I'm on high blood pressure medication is that affecting my hair growth?

MJ

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_hair-growth-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:10494626Post:e532be55-af79-4334-889f-df29d0e47b98">Re: Hair growth suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My hair breaks off in the middle area and being an African American woman with short hair it's very noticeable what can I do my wedding is in 6 months, I don't want to wear weave and I want it to grow an suggestions?<strong> Oh by the way I'm on high blood pressure medication is that affecting my hair growth? </strong>MJ
    Posted by camden1981[/QUOTE]

That last question would be better answered by your doctor.  He/she can tell you if that's a possible side effect or not.  My hair breaks off in the middle as well which is funny (I've never met anyone else with that problem lol), but my hairstylist was a little concerned about it.  She suggested that I get my hormone levels tested, such as my thyroid levels. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I so didn't even think of any of this! Walmart, here I come! :)

I just got my hair cut, because I dye/straighten it, and it gets damaged....maybe this will help!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Biotin will definately help your hair and nails grow stronger- my cousin is a hairdresser and actually called me up when I told her I was engaged to tell me to start taking it to make my hair beautiful for the wedding! I dont take 5000 mcg- you should really consult with your doctor, because I also take a multivitamin that already has biotin in it- but Vitamin Shoppe sells 300 mcg supplements that work fine for me!! Also, if all else fails- you can throw in extensions at the last minute. I know theyre pricey, but they end up looking beautiful if done right!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am SUPER glad that I saw this post!!! I am heading straight to the walmart tomorrow!!!  Thanks!  Also, my FMIL is a cosemtologist and she has been helping me grow my hair out.  A regular trim to keep off dead ends always helps hair...but you only have a few months so I don't think that will help much.  Biotin sounds like the thing!
  • Options
    ShenMin

google it, it's in Connecticut somewhere and they have a website.. Vitamin supplement,  It's for hair, nails and skin. 

Only drawback is that ALL your hair grows like crazy so you'll have to double up on the waxing time:(

A friend of mine said it's the best product for African American hair.  No idea at all where that came from other than the fact that she is AA.  She's funny sometimes
  • Options
    ladies don't forget about your omega 3's (epa/dha).  Hair growth is a side effect that is not listed when taking omega 3's.  I have been taking flaxseed for several months and my hair as grown a lot more.  There are several other benefits with the omega 3's too...which will be very beneficial during the stress of planning your wedding/honeymoon and any other issues related.

happy planning.

• Options
    I take Biotin too but was told to take no more thatn 3,000mcg a day. My nails grow so fast and my hair looks healthy!

Also I eat eggs every morning (not anymore) and I noticed I started getting horrible headaches in the afternoon. The eggs were causing this because there is something in eggs and in the Biotin (starts with an A) and if you take too much of it can cause headaches, upset stomaches, etc.
    Married June 5, 2010. I am very blessed. :)
  • Options
    not to beat a dead horse...but as a stylist I have to give my 2 cents...

Biotin will work great to keep your hair strong, thus decreasing the breakage.  It will not make your hair grow faster though. It may appear to be growing faster but it is not actually growing faster. The other problem is the biotin will only really be affecting the hair when it is actually alive inside your scalp. This will be doing NOTHING for the hair that is already dead, hanging from your head. 

The average person's hair grows at the rate of a half inch a month.

The best thing you can do is take good care of the hair you have.  Take biotin, eat well, and get yourself some GOOD shampoo, conditioner, conditioning treatments, and leave in conditioner. Try to cut down on washing your hair.  This IS possible.  When hair is wet, it becomes very weak.  I'll skip the anatomy lesson here and just say that surprisingly, washing your hair is almost as bad for it as putting heat on it.  Your sebaceous glads can be "trained". Your body wants there to be oil on your head, it puts it there to protect it, and actually, a small amount of this oil is good for your hair. Sebaceous glands can go into overdrive when a scalp is being cleaned too often.  By washing your hair everyday, you are telling it to release as much oil as possible quickly. If you wash your hair everyday, start trying to go every other. Sure, your hair may be a little greasy for the first week or two but eventually your body will get the hang of it, I promise. Your hair will thank you (and so will your pocket book!). If you must comb your hair when it is a wet - use wide tooth comb, leave in conditioner (sexy hair products makes a nice soy leave in) and be gentle.  Your hair is in a compromised state when it is wet.  Even slight pulling and tugging will cause breakage, Also, decrease the use of direct heat on hair.  Let it dry naturally whenever possible.

If you need a trim (i.e. you can SEE your split ends), get one. In the long run, a trim will help your hair stay longer, for well...longer. It will get the split ends off that would otherwise move up the hair shaft and create worse breakage. I know this is scary because there is so many horror stories of people asking their stylist to cut a half inch and they leave with 4 inches less than when they came in. Find a reputable stylist and DEAR GOD, especially if you are doing ANY chemical treatments. Don't hesitate to spend good money for you hair.  Cut out a couple times of eating out a month and you'll have beautiful hair. It is definitely worth it.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    The PP has excellent advice. 

Here is another trick used by Indian women.  A head of long lush shiny hair is a crown of glory for any Indian beauty.  The secret is that alot of them oil their hair at least once a week.

If you live near store that sells Indian products, go in there and look for something called "Amala Oil"  it will smell like a cross between strawberries and pears and it will be green in color.

Before taking a shower, take a good tablespoon of that stuff and work it into your hair.  Let it sit for an hour. Then wash it out like you normally wash your hair.  The oil will coat your hair and make it less likely to dry out.

Another oil that is good for your hair is castor oil.  I sometimes comb it on my lashes to make them longer.

• Options
    Try extensions if all else fails.
    August 2012's May Siggy challenge: Favorite TV mom:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I know this is going to sound really crazy, but Peppermint Mouth Wash. Use it between your shampoo and conditioner. Just pour some on your head, massage it in like you do shampoo, and let it sit for about a minute, then rinse and use conditioner. It works really well for hair growth, shine, strength, and even gets rid of any dry scalp/dandruff. It is amazing.
  • Options
    The doctor prescribed biotin for my mom when she went through chemo, and it really worked wonders.  I've been using it with her, and I love the way it makes my hair and nails look!  Good tip with the mouthwash too, I think I might just have to try it.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards