Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

First time coloring my hair...

I have an appointment to color my hair on Saturday. I've always wanted highlights but couldn't justify the cost until I started going grey :( I did a consult with my stylist the last time I was in for a trim, but I'm still pretty nervous about how it's going to turn out.
This is my hair now:

Dark brown on top, lighter reddish-brown at the bottom (naturally). Here are a couple pics of what I like:

How would I ask for these sorts of color? Is there anything I need to do to prep my hair for color? I know I want to go lighter - is there something else that might look good?
Thanks!

Re: First time coloring my hair...

• Options
    I think the second picture is too light for your hair. Your base color will still come through with highlights. I would suggest asking for a honey or caramel colored highlight rather than the typical "bleach" highlight. Your stylist should be able to choose a good color that complements your natural base. My only advice is to not bleach.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    CA.GiraffeCA.Giraffe member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    Thanks! I have a dumb question - how is it possible to lighten hair, if not by bleaching it? And, while I'm at it - my "grey" hair isn't actually grey - it's white, and white hair runs in my family. Will the dye take to those strands as well?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_first-time-coloring-my-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:11abad3a-452f-4af1-adb6-6a1a77a8684cPost:93a4b7e3-4757-4432-aee8-7439bdf30572">Re: First time coloring my hair...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! I have a dumb question - how is it possible to lighten hair, if not by bleaching it? And, while I'm at it - my "grey" hair isn't actually grey - it's white, and white hair runs in my family. Will the dye take to those strands as well?
    Posted by CA.Giraffe[/QUOTE]

The peroxide in hair color mixture is what lightens it. You say your hair is virgin, which is good! Color can't lift color - that means that if you color your hair black, you can't color it blone - you need to use bleach to strip the previous permanent color. Usually a higher volume peroxide will give a higher lift - a low peroxide (20 volume) won't come out as stronly as a higher peroxide (40 volume). BUT, using peroxide can lead to some brassiness (orangey-tinge) of your hair color, but you already have red undertones, so you should be fine.

Does the colorist know you have grey hair and want it covered? There's an additive called "Grey Magic" that my mother swears by - a few drops in the mix makes the grey go away - it will work on white hair too. I think it helps coarse hair grab onto the color.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If you want to cover the grey AND get highlights, you may be looking at a double process (base colour and then highlight). Or your stylist might be able to do the highlights in a way that the grey blends in.

Either way, I would recommend foils for the highlighting, as it gets closer to the roots so you don't see regrowth as fast. I would also go with a warm blond tone for your highlights, it will blend better with your hair.

I get my roots done every visit (base colour) and then i get highlights every third visit, cause they're a lot more expensive! Let us know what you choose!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    And I also agree with Jessa - the second look is a little too light for you (I think) honey and caramel highlights will compliment you without being too bright.

I knew a girl with natrually black hair and she got blonde highlights - NOT GOOD.

Also! Your colorist should have hair swatches that you can look at and hold up to your face and in your hair to see what looks good and what doesn't.
  • Options
    You should be able to show your stylist the picture and a good stylist will be able to match it. I agree with going with foils for the highlights; it does get closer to the roots and you will be able to go longer between trips to the stylist.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_first-time-coloring-my-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:11abad3a-452f-4af1-adb6-6a1a77a8684cPost:7698de50-2187-4228-a808-d8940b0d37eb">Re: First time coloring my hair...</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Either way, I would recommend foils for the highlighting, as it gets closer to the roots so you don't see regrowth as fast. I would also go with a warm blond tone for your highlights, it will blend better with your hair. I get my roots done every visit (base colour) and then i get highlights every third visit, cause they're a lot more expensive! Let us know what you choose!
    Posted by Angelface225[/QUOTE]

Ditto highlights. They are easier to place and control. I get a pull through cap about once a year and then a few foils 1-2 more times a year to touch up around my face and the top of my head.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. My stylist knows I want to cover the greys (whites?) - in reality, I have maybe 40 non-colored hairs spread randomly throughout my head, that are probably noticeable only to me (and the stylist when she trims it). The stylist believes lighter highlights would probably do a sufficient job of hiding the white hairs for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards