Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

tanning?

So even though I am of a darker complexion i still get rather sallow in the winter months.  Any and all discolorations, bumps and bruises come flaring to life.  Since my wedding is in April in New England I will still be rather sallow in coloring.  I was wondering if anyone recommends a quick tanning trip (I know taboo) or a good self tanner that might help bring my color back for the wedding.   I've never bothered to care before but I'm willing to give it a go.

My ivory dress just glowed with my summer tan but looked noticably yellow when i tried it on during my first fitting.  I'm hoping with a golden hue the dress and me wont look so wan.
"All I want is for you to be happy And, take this woman and make you my family And, finally you have found someone perfect And, finally you have found Yourself." -RHCP image

Re: tanning?

• I used to tan in the beds but have since discontinued due to the standard concerns. From experience, however it does take awhile to build up a tan, depending on your complexion. I am medium/light and it would take about a month of consistent tanning to get to a "summer glow." Of course that is going to vary if you are darker complected.

I have since done a few spray tans and had varying success. I did a Mystic branded tan last march and it gave me great color- for about a week. Do not count on these lasting long.

Maybe look into an airbrush tan? That is something I am considering for my wedding since I don't want to get back in the booths.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • First, as a melanoma survivor, I'm glad to hear you don't want to go in the beds. :)  As far as trying to get a glow, a friend of mine who is an esthetician recommends using a versa spa self tanning system over airbrush or mystic.  She thinks it provides the most natural looking tan.    I asked her about airbrush and she thinks its ok, but it tends to go on darker than using a spray booth.

I am going to go try the versa spa and see how natural looking the color is.  I am not tan by nature, and am not going to for the ultra-bronze look for my wedding day because that's not who I am.  However, I do get very sallow and unhealthy pale in the winter, and I might want to add a slight glow for our wedding day. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • just ordered an airbrush deal off groupon...hopefully it works. If not ill just look a little funny for a week and be out $20.  At least my curiosity wll be satisfied :)
    "All I want is for you to be happy And, take this woman and make you my family And, finally you have found someone perfect And, finally you have found Yourself." -RHCP image
  • Melanoma survivor also, I'm glad you want to steer clear of beds. I've tried many many spray tans since my skin cancer and mystics are pretty reliable, but get one long before your wedding to see how you like it. I can't remember the name of it but a local salon does custom spray tans that were wonderful and lasted a little longer than mystics. A lot of hair salons or spas do spray tans now, try those and see how you like them. I promise you won't turn orange, spray tans have come a long way :) Also, I buy the darkest shade of the Jergens daily glow lotion (even though I'm extremely pale) and after like three days of use I'm noticeably tan. Plus it's easy to correct if you accidentally get a streak. Good luck!
  • edited January 2012
    I've used both versa spa and the california tan spray booths, and was the most happy with the california tan one. You'll get the best results if you exfoliate your skin a day or so before getting the spray tan, it will help it go on and stay on even.  The versa spa I didn't notice the color as much, but my skin was already tanned at that point.  However, the california tan one I got at one salon and then went back to tanning beds at another salon and they had NO clue it was a spray on.  I figure if it fools tanning salon employees, the color is natural!

I do definitely recommend trying it out at least one option first.  Hopefully the airbrush tan goes well for you!  If not, try out other options because different solutions work better or worse for different people.

~Katy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards