Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Bridesmaid Make Up

My older sister is one of my bridesmaids. The other day, I told her that I plan on getting all the bridesmaid MAC foundation (since it is suppose to hold the best), a foundation brush, lipgloss/lipstick (whatever they end up choosing) as a part of the bridesmaid gift.  I figure we can all go shopping together and get the foundation and learn how it is applied.  My sister uses foundation everyday, I doubt that she would have a hard time with it and applying blush+ brozner.  I have a friend who went through beauty school, and is willing to do everyone's eyes for free the day of the wedding.  So I was going to buy 1 set of eye make up, and a spray to set everyones make up for the day of.  My younger sister, who is also my maid of honor and my mother will be getting professional make up done with airbrushing with me on the wedding.    My older sister insists on having airbrushing too.   (She got married this past September.)

I believe in having my bridesmaids look good, but I don't feel like making them pay to look good on my day.  I thought that I had found a good compromise.  I think they will look good enough with my plan.  MAC foundation is known to stay on well, if they use primer and a spray to keep the make up in place, I think it will hold.   I think my older sister is being a bit of a bitch and I am seriously annoyed.   I don't feel like she needs airbrushing since is is not the bride.  Should I just hire someone to do everyone's make up so everyone gets airbrushing, or set my older sister in place?  My MOH offered to not get airbrushing, but I do not think that is fair.  My other 3 bridesmaids are okay with this arrangement.

I don't want my make up artist to work on 4 people because she won't have enough time, and I want her to focus on me.  

On another note, I was engaged when my sister was still planning her wedding, and she had reminded me a couple of times that it wasn't about me yet.  Should I remind her that it is no longer about her?  Shouldn't she just do as I ask?  I am not asking her to spend 100+ on her make up and hair like she asked me to.

I could just hire someone to do my whole bridal party's make up and pay for it.  It would probably end up being about the same,  I am a little torn though.  

Any advice?

Re: Bridesmaid Make Up

• Thanks for the responses.  I think I will just hire someone to do my BP's hair and make up.  My BP isn't young, but 2 of them are  inexperienced with make up and hair, and if I leave it up to them, there will be no make up left on them by the 4 pm ceremony.

There are 5 ppl in my BP, three of which are my sisters.  If it was up to me, I would have two friends and one younger sister as my MOH.  My mother insists that I include all of my sisters in my BP.  My youngest sister will pretty much stand there and look pretty all day (which is what she did last September).  My older sister has already made me change my wedding colors because it reminds her of prom, and told me my dress, which I told her was "the one" was not the one, and in fact looked cheap.  I have since then changed my wedding colors, and found another dress that is twice the price that she thought was okay.  

My intentions were to pay for hair and make up of my bridal party.  My sister probably would have paid for her own make up, but I would have been uncomfortable with that, and would have paid for it myself.

I honestly wasn't trying to be a bridezilla, but I thought I was very supportive of my sister when she got married, and I am pretty annoyed that she is giving me so much drama and changing everything that I plan and the make up thing was the put me over the edge.  I didn't argue with her when she was planning her wedding, and went along with whatever she wanted, and I was hoping she could do the same for me.  She said she wanted heart confetti in her wedding colors, I sat there punching hearts with a hole puncher into cardstock to meet her request without complaints.

I wasn't trying to exclude her, but we aren't close sisters, and are barely friends.  I honestly didn't think it mattered.  She would have similar make up with the 3 other bridesmaids, and I don't think that would leave her left out. 

In the two weddings I have been in, I have had to pay for my make up or do it myself.  I am a graduate student, and 2 in my BP are still students.  I understand that it is hard to make ends meet with being in a wedding, and I thought that I would help my BP out with the make up and hair.  I honestly figured if I wasn't asking them to look hideous and not asking them to put out a chunk of cash, I wouldn't have objections.  I was looking out for my BP financial situations, who would have thought it would cause so much drama.

I guess this is the end of my rant...
  • I would say either pay for everyone's or leave everyone to pay for or do their own and let them choose and wear whatever foundation they prefer.  If you go the professional route, you will need more than one MUA to have everyone done in time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards