Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Tell me about teeth whitening

I have been using teeth whitening toothpast and mouth wash for the last couple months. I am under 3 months until my wedding now and would like them to be whiter! Any recommendation on strips or trays would be appreciated. Oh and how far out from your wedding did you start using them? Thanks ladies!
*~The Future Mrs. Paine~*

*~Planning Bio Updated April 16th~*

image 331 invited image 107 are ready to party image 96 are missing out image 128 can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 30th!

Re: Tell me about teeth whitening

• jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Crest white strips are amazing. I used one box and everyone complimented me on how white my teeth looked.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Whitening toothpaste really won't do much for you, as it isn't on your teeth long enough to make a difference. I use the Crest Advanced Seal strips. I think a box comes with 2 weeks of strips, but you can see results within the first few days.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had never whitened my teeth before, but I just tried Crest Professional Effect 3D Whitening. (It is called that or something very similar!) I heard it can hurt for people with sensitive teeth, but I have sensitive teeth and was fine. There are 2 weeks of strips.

I normally wouldn't do this, but since it's for the wedding, I left the first strip on longer than it said to (2 hours instead of 30mins) and saw immediate, but not dramatic, results. It was the perfect amount for me. Good luck!
  • You will usually see an immediate difference that will fade away in a few hours.  It's a cumulative thing for the most part with the at-home whitening.  The biggest thing that I've noticed helps is the little lights they give you now with the home kits.  They really speed up the process.  I would start now and once you get them where you want do maintenance weekly or bi-weekly depending on your coffee, wine or smoking habits.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If your teeth arent perfectly straight, strips wont attach right, but ive seen whiteners that use a whitening tray thatll fit all sets of teeth.
    Also, i saw on the Dr. Oz show (granted that i have not tested this) that before you brush your teeth, to take an orange peel, and rup the white part on your teeth and then brush your teeth. Its supposed to be a natural whitener. But i have no idea how long it takes either. 

Good luck though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Hmmm the orange peel is interesting, I have a whole bag of cuties in my fridge. I think I will try that. Thanks for sharing!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • I've used them off and on for 10 years and they work amazing. I get compliments constantly.
  • obviously your dentist would know best, but as an FYI if you have fillings in your front teeth, they will not whiten with your natural teeth. 
  • I second what Caitlin said above- be careful with the Crest Advanced Whitening Strips. They worked wonders but once I got down to the last 2-3 I began to have some severe tooth pain (like a sharp stabbing, almost as if you have an exposed nerve or something). Just be careful with them, and don't use them longer than the directions say. If you do experience pain with them, just stop using them & it should go away within a week or so. 
    Once you do start whitening I would stay far away from any coffee, wine, & hot choclate type stuff.... 

July 2013 Knottie Siggy Challenge: Location, Location! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've been doing the whitestrips since ... Monday I think and I already notice a difference - love it.

First thing I learned is to dry your teeth off before trying to put them on :)

I also switched to sensodyne when I started them after reading about tooth pain - hoping to avoid it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_tell-me-about-teeth-whitening?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:25a68977-691c-4cf2-9c97-5cbd64222ad9Post:42b36627-a89a-4902-9bdb-3c29a12c19e9">Re: Tell me about teeth whitening</a>:
    [QUOTE]I second what Caitlin said above- be careful with the Crest Advanced Whitening Strips. They worked wonders but once I got down to the last 2-3 I began to have some severe tooth pain (like a sharp stabbing, almost as if you have an exposed nerve or something). Just be careful with them, and don't use them longer than the directions say. If you do experience pain with them, just stop using them & it should go away within a week or so.  Once you do start whitening<strong> I would stay far away from any coffee, wine, & hot choclate type stuff.... </strong>
    Posted by eureka30030[/QUOTE]

<div>Glad you added in hot chocolate I would have never thought of that! Everyone says coffee, wine, and smoking so I always think I am good, but hot chocolate I will need to remember to take out of my day! </div>
    *~The Future Mrs. Paine~*

*~Planning Bio Updated April 16th~*

image 331 invited image 107 are ready to party image 96 are missing out image 128 can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 30th!
  • AmJam04AmJam04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I doubt this is true, and in fact, I think it has the possibility to mess with your enamel.
    Not worth it, IMO. (ETA: I was referring to the Dr. Oz episode using oranges right before you brush your teeth! I don't know where my quote post went!)

I would certainly recommend the Crest Professional strips. I'll use them as directed and see noticeable results within a few days. I think the whitening will last as long as you take care of 'em (stay away from staining foods/brush your teeth frequently/etc).

You can also look into a mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide as a cheaper alternative (though I have not tried this myself... but I have heard that it works.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I used a home kit called GlamWhite. It's expensive but I got it off Amazon Local for $40 instead of $150. You make your own mouth trays and it comes with whitening gel and a gel to help with the sensitivity. I saw results after only two uses.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_tell-me-about-teeth-whitening?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:25a68977-691c-4cf2-9c97-5cbd64222ad9Post:2e6ee566-5d5f-4922-9e2d-28ddc49b6bf5">Re: Tell me about teeth whitening</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your teeth arent perfectly straight, strips wont attach right, but ive seen whiteners that use a whitening tray thatll fit all sets of teeth<strong>. Also, i saw on the Dr. Oz show (granted that i have not tested this) that before you brush your teeth, to take an orange peel, and rup the white part on your teeth and then brush your teeth. Its supposed to be a natural whitener.</strong> But i have no idea how long it takes either.  Good luck though!
    Posted by ckozlowski91[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>DO NOT DO THIS!  I hate when shows put stuff like this on tv! I'm dental hygienist and oranges are very acidic and they weaken the enamel. That is why they "whiten" because they weaken the enamel then you would be further damaging the teeth by brushing. Over the counter whitening products work in the same fashion. They open up the tubules in the teeth and allow the stain to come out. If you want faster results talk to your dentist and you can use professional strength whitening products which are just stronger and more concentrated than what you can get over the counter. I hope this info helps!!

</div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I got a good deal through my dentist and I had special trays made for my teeth and get free whitening tubes every 6 months when I go in for my cleaning. This has worked best by far than any over the counter whitening.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I heard off of Pinterest (I'm a total adict) that if you rub peroxide on your teeth that it will whiten them! I've been trying this and I've seen a big difference and I haven't had any bad side effects like my teeth getting really sensitive. It says to only do it about two to three times a week. Rub it on with a q-tip and let it sit for about 30 seconds before you brush your teeth. Peroxide is one of the main ingredients in teeth whitening tooth paste so try that!

McKenzie VanOsdol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards