Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Benzoyl peroxide?

So I've been using Proactiv for about 3-4 months and my skin has got clearer from it. I barely even break out so much when I get my period! (whoo!) But I heard some good and bad things about benzoyl peroxide and I just don't know what should I do. Should I find something thats just as good and won't age my skin, like a natural alternative way or stick with proactiv?... Is there any good skin care products that anybody could reccomend?

Thanks!

Re: Benzoyl peroxide?

• Options
    I haven't used Proactiv because I'm very sensitive to benzoyl peroxide, but I think they put medicine in the cleansers as well as the treatment. If you're using multiple medicated products, you might cut down to just an application of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide at night.

You might even try salicylic acid instead. I think it's gentler, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Don't forget to moisturize.
  • Options
    I'm not using any other products except the stuff from Proactiv. I'll definately try salicylic acid sometime, thanks! :)
  • Options
    My sister is an esthetician and she says that Proactiv is too harsh for your skin. Use something with salicylic acid like Obagi's clenziderm cleanser. That's what I've been using for a couple years now along with dermalogica's skin prep scrub and it works wonders. I do have Obagi's serum gel for some trouble spots I may be having and it clears then right up. Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll definately check those products out! :)
  • Options
    Some of Proactiv's products DO have salicylic acid.

Salicylic acid will exfoliate within the pore and help keep your pores cleared out and looking smaller. It does have some antimicrobial properties that can help kill acne-causing bacteria.

Benzoyl peroxide is an antibacterial. So it also kills acne-causing germs.

It's really best to use them BOTH.

Benzoyl peroxide has been shown over and over in serious scientific studies to be safe for skin. It also doesn't have a bacterial resistance issue, meaning that even if bacteria change or mutate, it has been proven to to STILL be effective. As Leia suggested, if you're worried about it, try different concentrations (2.5%, 5%, 10%) OR try applying every other day or once a day instead of twice a day.

You may need to try different combinations of products to find what works best for YOU.

Here is a list of great acne products:
    http://www.cosmeticscop.com/best-acne-fighting-products.aspx

And thorough reviews of many many products can be found here:
    http://www.beautypedia.com/BrandList.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    acne treatments will only work if they have salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide so dont change ur routine if it works
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards