Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Fake eyelashes?

Are they worth it?  I don't want them to look fake, but my cousin is a cosmetologist and knows how to do them.  Do you have any suggestions as far as brands or anything?  I want them to look as natural as possible, I just don't want to mess with mascara.

Re: Fake eyelashes?

• I used fake lashes for my wedding and e-pics. I am glad that I did because they really draw out and bring attention to your eyes. If you want a more natural look, I suggest getting demis-- they are the half sets that start at the outer corners and go part way in till they blend with the rest of your lashes. I bought cheap ones at Walmart that were natural hair and they worked just fine. They gave me oomph and yet nobody looking at me or my photos would say "oh, those are fake!"

I will say, though, that people do use mascara with false lashes. It helps blend the two together better.
    Photobucket
  • Thanks so much!  I was planning on doing a little mascara, but I didn't want to worry about making them perfect without the eyelashes.  Do you use the mascara after you put the lashes on?  I assume you would, but I'm not a big makeup person.
  • If your cousin knows how to do them well, you should be fine.

Have her use individual clusters of lashes, not strips - this gives the most natural look. I've done them for various events and I ALWAYS notice that the individual clusters look so much more natural than strips or even partial strips, and they're easier to customize so if one eye has slightly thicker eyelashes than the other does naturally, you can balance them out (I may be the only person with uneven lashes, but who knows)

Put your eyeliner on first, or at least some liner close to your lash line so you don't end up with gaps. Curl your lashes and use a light coat of mascara before applying the false lashes, then let them dry for at least ten minutes and ligthtly curl and apply more mascara to blend the false and real lashes. (Your cousin should know how to do this, though...have her do it, or do some trial runs first. it takes some practice before you get used to it.)

As far as brands, I don't think it matters much as long as you get individual lashes and actual glue, not self adhesive ones.
  • ditto the individual ones.  I prefer the Urban Decay ones, but that just a personal preference.  And like PP said, you'll mascara your eyelashes and the winkers (that's what I call my fake eyelashes).  They photograph so great and I feel like they're gentler on your eyelashes than the whole strips.
  • This is all good information because I plan on doing fake eyelashes for my wedding as well.  I have never tried them before, but I have heard that they make a very noticable difference in pictures.
  • You can get natural looking ones. Your cousin should know which ones work best. I recommend doing a trial run so you can get used to the feel. You will feel a bit ridiculous at first or feel like they're too obvious. But in photos, they will make your eyes look amazing. If full on lashes are too harsh, try putting on the smaller pieces.
  • I decided to skip the false eyelashes because they didn't seem to work very well with my veil.  I honestly have to say that I regret it and wish that I had worn false lashes.   I have pretty long lashes and in person they looked great on my wedding day.  However, you couldn't really see them in a lot of the photos, especially the full body shots.  
  • Thanks for everyone's help!  I will ask her what she recommends, she should have some good ideas since she does wedding makeup along with hair.  I will deffinatly do a trial run with her when we test out my hair.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards