Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Embarrassing problem I am SUPER nervous about

Re: Embarrassing problem I am SUPER nervous about

• Options
    In case you also want some back up help, Herpecinel did wonders for me when I was getting constant cold sores due to stress about 5 years ago.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 8/9/11 EDD 4/11/12 M/C 8/20/11
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 6/18/13
    PgAL and PAL always welcome and appreciated!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I get them all the time, too.  You need a prescription for Valtrex - and it's very expensive - but so worth it.  I plan to get mine filled a week before the wedding and take the pills to prevent having one on the big day.
  • Options
    I know how you feel!  I get about 5 or 6 a year!  They are sooo embarrassing and I am scared to death that I am going to get one too!  I finally went to the doctor about 4 years ago.  She prescribed Valtrex and then also gave me a prescription for a cream called Zovirax.  Usually my cold sore would last about a week, but with these 2 prescriptions, it is usually gone within 2 or 3 days.  Sometimes however, if I catch it when I first feel it, it doesnt come up at all!  I will warn you though.  The prescriptions are pretty expensive, but completely worth it!   Hope this helps!
  • Options
    I have the exact same issue and I get embarrassed about it, too. About a year and a half ago, I got four literally in a row, so I went to my doctor and asked for a prescription of Famciclovir or equivalent. It's the drug people with herpes 2 take daily, but it can be used for occasional cold sores. When I feel like I'm about to get a cold sore, I take two pills, and then two more 12 hours later. Most of the time I don't get one. If I do, it's much smaller and lasts less than a week. I also think I've been getting the "feeling" I'm going to get one less frequently. I also still use Abreva if I get one. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm new to my area and don't have a doctor here yet.  Can I just go to any doctor tell him about how I get cold sores (usually 3 to 4 times a year - just got over one and my wedding is in exactly one month)? 

Do I need some sort of proof?  (I do have scars on my lips from them).
  • Options
    Hope all this info works for you! And just remember that if you do get one on your wedding day, it wont be the end of the world!  Your photographer should be able to edit it out so it wont be a problem in your photos :)
  • Options
    Zovirax and Acyclovir are generics of the antiviral Valtrex.  Being allergic to penicllin, which is an antibiotic not an antiviral, has nothing to do with it. 
  • Options
    I get them too, and I have found that when I first notice the tingle sensation that shows up before, I hold an ice cube to it, usually til the ice cube melts with a few quick breaks of course (as not to freeze my lip off) but it works wonders im not sure how, but it freezes the  virus and can help prevent it from breaking the surface. but once it has created the little blisters, i have found that tea tree oil can help dry it up, but bc of the virus, any injury, pimple, cut around the mouth, tend to take FOREVER to heal!Undecided
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As far as a make-up artist, find one in your area that can do airbrush makeup. It's not as heavy that will make it worse like liquid foundation, and they can cover anything from scars to tattoos. But, of course ask their expertise on your situation. Wishing the best for you! :)
  • Options
    I have a girl friend who gets them and when she feels one coming on she said she pops a couple of valtrex...I know they say its for genital herpes but apparently it will work on whatever sort of coldsore, even those you get on your mouth. If you are worried about one popping up before the wedding just get a prescription and take the dosage that week even if you don't feel one coming on...I'm sure you'll look beautiful regardless! Good luck!
  • Options
    I get several of these each year... and like you HATE it!!! I got a prescription from my dentist for Valtrex, or the generic Acyclovir ($4 at Wal-Mart). If I have a big event that I'm going to, I take the pills before the blister can even start. In fact, I plan on making sure to start taking them on Thursday (if not earlier) before my wedding to ensure I don't have the horrendous looking thing on my wedding day. Good luck!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    OMG!!!!! i am super worried about this as well! having a cold sore is THE WORST!!!! i also have rried everything---but i have found something that works really well for me. i know you mentioned you use Lysine and that it didnt work for you? i get REALLY bad cold sores and i take one pill in the a.m. with 500mg of vitamin C and again in the evening. at the health food store, they cary lysine lip balm- which is good for everyday. i barely ever get them now Also, there is a gizmo that if and when i start to feel something, it totally zaps it out . it's called INTERCEPT CS. i got it from a drugstore in toronto. it uses a laser treatment to kill the cells and believe me IT WORKS!!!!!!
    i am a makeup artist- so im not gonna lie: it is hard to hide a cold sore. depending on which stage it is in. if its in the first day or 2-before it really blisters, then lipstick will do fine. but once its blistered, not much can be done.
    try the intercept and take the lysine and C religiously and it will work. 
    also, i know its hard not stress, especially when you have a huge sore on your mouth, so i cant tell you not to! 
    take it from me, these things really work for me, and i get them BAD!!!!!
    good luck knottie!!
    xo
  • Options
    and on the heels of that last post - go see a health care provider when you first have a breakout.  Other problems can masquerade as cold sores (ie. canker sores, bacterial infections), and a medical eye can tell the difference.  Canker sores and bacterial infections have different treatment (yes, treatment so they go AWAY). 
  • Options
    I get these all the time too, and its always when one (or more) of 4 things happens: When I eat to much junk food too many days in a row, when I get sick, when I have too much sun exposure, or when I'm super stressed.  I noticed that these all have a common factor - low immune system!! This virus pretty much stays in your system, and I think the cold sores pop up when your immune system is too low to fight it.  When I work to keep my immune system running high, I don't get them nearly as often, and when I do, they are short lived.  

I also don't want to worry about getting one of these things on my wedding day.  I want to enjoy our kiss, as well as eating & laughing, which is too painful with these suckers!  What I'm planning to do is take lots of echinacea & vitamins the month or so before the wedding, work out regularly, eat healthy and keep my stress levels down as much as possible.  This may also help you!  If you want a good over-the-counter creme, Lysine works the best for me - it actually has more natural ingredients instead of tons of chemicals.  Abreva doesn't do a thing!  I have also used Echinacea/Goldenseal extract mixture & Tea Tree oil, which both work pretty well when applied with a cotton swab. 

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Oh, the Lysine I mentioned is actually a creme I found at a CVS pharmacy - not the pill!  When I keep applying it throughout the day, it gets rid of the cold sores in just a few days!!  Though I definitely am going to try that pill!  Much better to keep them from ever showing up!
  • Options
    As well as the oral medications, keep a tube of Carmex and a bottle of Campo Phenique on hand.  The minute you feel the tingle, liberally applyl them (alternating which one you use).  It will usually stop them before they start. 

That's a very valid concern and you're not alone with it.

PS:  Are there seriously still adult humans on this Earth that associate the common cold sore with genital herpes?  Absurd.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    I am so scared just like you! I have had terrible cold sores that take weeks to heal. So totally just start taking the Valtrex, do the Vitamine, but also watch your diet. There are websites that tell you what not to eat (like pineapple...that's a big one). But seriously stress is the issue. So every morning make sure you take a few moments for yourself, and every night too! Plus when something is bothering you or stressing you out, walk away for a minute. Just think, it's so not worth messing up your wedding photos!

Plus, no tanning or wind burn! That always gets me. I use chapstick only and not too much (the blue medicated one) and I haven't had a cold sore in 2 years! Just change your diet and don't sweat the small stuff. And when you feel the building up in your chest of stress, think about the honeymoon!

Good luck, and getting the Valtrex is a GREAT idea for piece of mind!
  • Options
    I'm a dental student, and we're taught to treat cold sores (if it's caused by the virus) with Acyclovir or Valcyclovir (Valtrex).  Go to your friendly dentist or medical doctor, explain the problem and that you'd like to be proactive about preventing the ulcers.  He or she will certainly understand!
  • Options
    No clue about cold sores, but I'm still dealing with adult acne and I'm splurging on using an airbrush makeup artist that day.  Airbrush makeup does wonders, and I just know I'll break out like crazy that week from stress.  
  • Options
    this sounds like bs but its not at all my father and i both get cold sores and you know when you feel it start to tingle which means one is coming, if you put rubbing alcohol on a qtip and put it over the area it tingles it USUALLY doesnt come in at all.  my dad is much better at doing this right away and hasnt had a cold sore in about 7 years, i only had 1 last year doing that and i generally got them frequently in the winter and spring.. still take the lycine pill tho 
  • Options
    I feel your pain - it's a worry I have about my wedding day, too!

Yes to the Valtrex, as long as you take it immediately when you start to the get the cold sore.

I was also told my coworkers about L-Lysine, a supplement.  They recommended that I take one daily, and then two per day if I think a cold sore is coming.  I started taking one dose daily (I just got the knock-off Rite Aid brand), and I haven't had once since.  I made it through the holidays and very stressful work days without one.  This was the first holiday season I haven't gotten one!  As far as I know, there are no side effects. 

Good luck with the big day!
  • Options
    My dentist actually prescribed for me, so if you have a dentist, they can do it.
  • Options
    Stress is usually a trigger for me, and they usually come at a bad time. I started taking 500mg of Lysine (in the vitamin section) every night before bed. When I can feel one coming on anyway - catch it early - I take two and it never shows up. Good luck!
  • Options
    To get rid of a cold sore in a hurry use toothpaste.  Make sure you are buying the paste variety and not the gel.  Put it on at night when you go to bed and again in the morning and it will help to dry it up.  Have you seen your doctor for a prescription to help with this?
  • Options
    I don't know about coldsores but if youre having a makeup artist, they should be able to cover it fairly well with some pancake make up, if you're not u can get it in most drugstore makeup aisles. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have hereditary cold sores which I have found out are really rare. In a bad year I can get between 10 and 12 major ones and they are huge and very painful (I've gotten them since I was little). When I was younger there was really nothing I could do about but now as an adult I have a prescription for Valtrax. I take two at the first sign on a cold sore and the pills kill the thing before it even has a chance to surface!! It really is amazing!! I don't think I've had a cold sore surface in 5 years.  in addition, a generic form of Valrax just hit the shelves so you can get it for less as without the "valrax" title that most people associate with herpes.
  • Options
    Okay I have had this problem my entire life and I have found the BEST way to kill the virus before the blister comes up.  You won't be advised by your doctor to do this but I have experience that it not only works it is the only thing I do and I have not had a blister come up since I've done it.  The second you feel the tingle of a blster get a que tip and dip it into fingernail polish remover and put that on the blister.  The first few times I did this I had to hold it on there for like an hour changing que tips throught the hour but now I can do it in 20 minutes and it kills the virus before the blister can form and it never makes it to the blistering stage.  Literally this had healed every one of my cold sores within the hour I've gotten them! The smell is strong so I suggest putting a fan on your face when you're doing it. My mother in law read this in Cosmo years age and we have both been doing this ever since. I'm getting married this June and will be keeping que tips and fingernail polish remover near me.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    If you can, go to the doctor as soon as possible, they will give you an IV and it will help it ease it down a bit within 2 weeks =/ I know its a long time, I had 2 big ones on my lip and they are no fun ... but make sure you take good care of it so it can disappear! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    www.mrandmrsponce.com
  • Options
    From a statistical perspective consider this:

By age 10: 30% of the population has been infected with Herpes Simplex Virus-1 - the type of the herpes virus that causes cold sores.

By age 50: 80-90% of the population has been infected.

You are in the majority!

I am sure you will look beautiful on your big day.  Definitely talk to your doctor about a quick-fix you could take if one came on in the days/weeks before the wedding.
  • Options
    Hi, do you know herpes patch from Compeed?

It's transparent and thin and makes the pricking go away. Since it's a patch, the herpes does not make those "crusts". If the herpes is more on the lip, you can even put the lipstick on it. It lasts 6-7 hours but is has really changed the days when I have this problem. Creams make nothing...

http://www.compeed.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards