Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Braving the Brazilian???

2»

Re: Braving the Brazilian???

• Options
    Hello,

I understand your concern!  I will be having a full Brazillian prior to my wedding as well.  I had one done years ago, and from what I recall, it was substantially more painful than having my legs/bikini area waxed.  There are a couple of issues to consider.  As some other Knotties have mentioned, you want to make sure to get it done at least one week prior to your intended date.  There is significant redness and irritation that occurs after this kind of waxing (especially if it is your first time), and the last thing you want is to look red and feel uncomfortable on your special day.  The issue with the pain, I feel, can be lessened if you have all of your other areas waxed prior to the Brazillian.  Your endorphine level will increase, and naturally your pain receptors will be eased before having the mega-pain of a full Brazillian.  I would definitely recommend taking naproxen sodium (Alieve) 30 minutes prior to your Brazillian.  This is an anti-inflammatory as well as a pain reliever, which you will be thankful for after the fact.  Continue taking Alieve as directed, but if you do take this product, please do not drink alcohol during "treatment", as this can be dangerous for your liver, stomach, intestines, etc.  Finally, consider having someone drive you to and from your appointment if this is your first time.  The level of endorphines can be so high in some people that the mind becomes somewhat "cloudy", and you don't want to be driving if this ends up being the case with you.

Good luck, and take care!
  • Options
    ive been doing the brazillian on and of for a few years.. it honestly doesnt bother me.. yea it hurts, but its not enough to deter me from doing it again. def dont go right before or on your period.. everything hurts more.. tylenol before hand is a good plus.. and i think trying the regular one first might be a good idea.. as long as you find someone your comfrotable with, its not that bad. perhaps whoever you go to for the reg bikini wax also does brazillian (most places do).. Its just so nice being smooth for at least 4 weeks! (well after waxing repeatedly thats about how long mine lasts for)..Another tip to save some pain.. do a little trim.. make sure its long enough to still be waxable.. but hair thats 1" long hurts more to pull out than hair thats 1/2" long.. i wouldnt go shorter than that tho.
    best of luck!
  • Options
    My best friend is a waxer at a high end waxing salon in Downtown Dallas and she did my first brazillian. I was so scared and nervous about the pain and her seeing my junk but really it is not that bad! It hurts but its over so fast and the results are totally awesome. Also, try it 2-3 times before deciding to NOT go anymore. The pain gets so much more manageable and your hair grows back thinner and less so it gets easier and faster. Also, try to find a salon that has hard wax. That is wax that they spread on then let dry for a couple of seconds then pull off. There are no strips and the wax only sticks to hair NOT skin, so its MUCH less painful! Go to a place that is nice and experienced in waxing. Definitely try it out. It is sooo worth it!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • Options
    It really isn't that bad...i think. I had my first brazilian about two months ago and i've had one more since then. I LOVE the result. Its not the funnest (yes thats a word) thing you'll experience but it's totally worth it. I think a glass of wine would definitely help. My wedding is in December but I wanted to try it out before the 11th hr; also i was told by the tech that by then the hair will be thinner and the process faster and easier....works for me!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Def. not like I imagined! It wasn't as painful or uncomfortable as I expected.... And honestly in between appts I can't wait to go back!! ha!! One of the best things I ever started doing!!
  • Options
    try Sugaring instead of waxing. It's the same concept, but a lot less painful!
  • Options
    I worked at a spa a few years ago.  A new esthetician started working there so they needed to demonstrate how they did waxes on people and how to use the products.  So they asked for a volunteer to guinea pig it up....  I volunteered..always wanted to be waxed.  When we were in the room they asked what I would prefer to have waxed and I said I didn't care.  "Oooo... let's do a Brazilian and under arm wax!" she said.

Brazilian was first.  It's painful.  A lot of places do an initial Brazilian and follow up Brazilian, both of which you have to pay for.. it'll be at least $100, if not more, to do it.  I would recommend it if you really want to have the area waxed on your wedding day.  That first time will suck, and your pores will probably bleed from the hair being ripped out.  Mine did.  I didn't have any kind of reaction to the products they used (I hear it happens a lot), but I did bleed quite a bit.  I didn't have it done again, and probably never will.

Under arms were 100x times less painful.  I didn't bleed.  I didn't react to anything.  It was really a magical experience in comparison.

You could try doing the Brazilian like 3 months before and see if you like the outcome despite the pain.  Then maybe a week before the wedding you can go back again and be freshly waxed.

Also, I saw it was mentioned above...  It's VERY intimate.  Underwear comes off and  you might have a towel to cover up, but they uncover you completely in order to do the wax.
  • Options
    I've been getting the brazilian for about a year now, and I highly recommend it. My esthetician has become one of my dearest friends, and she has made the experience almost pleasant. The first few times that I got waxed, I was kind of loud because the heat of the wax was hard to deal with. It proved to be a source of laughter for both me and my esthetician. The last time I got waxed, I made up in my mind that I wasn't going to be so vocal about my discomfort, and just let her do her job. It really is mind over matter.

--Make sure you're going to someone who uses fresh wax on each customer. Many places (like those associated with strip mall nail salons) don't.
    --I do not recommend taking Advil/ibuprofen because it actually makes the blood vessels more sensitive to the pain. Instead, take Tylenol/acetomeniphen (sp) about 30 minutes before you get waxed.
    --I have found that talking while the waxing is going on actually takes my mind off what's going on.
    --Do EXACTLY what your esthetician says. There are points in the process when you will want to move a certain way, but I promise you, you will regret that.
    --Exfoliate regularly in the days after you wax, preferably with one of those bath sponges.

I love the way it feels to be "clean" and while I thought I was doing it for my FH, it turns out, I do it for me. His pleasure with it is just an added bonus.
  • Options
    I am also Brazilian and I have been waxing all my life. I agree with the other Brazilian girl here: it is SO FUNNY you call this "having a Brazilia". Anyway, the truth about it is that the more you do it, the less it is gonna hurt in the long run. I repeat, in the LONG RUN. For me, it does not hurt at all, but maybe it is because I have high pain tolerance, maybe it is because I have been doing this for a loooong time (ever since I had my first hairs in th bikini line). Anyway, some things I would highligh are:
    a. The bikini line, at least for me, is much more sensitive than the other "parts" that get wax. So, why not go ahead, have the Brazilian done, and feel great with the result?
    b. Don't go if you are in your PMS period. This is SO true. You will get a lot more sensitive and it won't be fun at all.
    c. Once you do it once, avoid shaving that area. Try to do it frequently. As I said above the more you do, the better/easier it gets.
    d. I bet you FI will LOVE IT. And so will you.
    e. Please definitely don't wait till 2 days before your wedding to get it done for the first time... do it as many times as you can till your wedding. It will pay off.

Hope this helps!!!
  • Options
    FYI, the first is the mostpainful. I go once a month and the hair grows less dense and the roots don't dig as deep. Def do like these ladies said and take advil or something before. I'm going to have to try the no scream cream, but honestly I don't think it's that bad.

As far as awkwardness, I think the key is finding someone you're comfortable with. My chick is amazing and we just chat and laugh the entire time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I won't lie...it will hurt!, but the pain also subsides very quickly, and I think it is so worth iT!! My mistake is that I don't "upkeep" the Brazilian and will just do reg. bikinis in between, so I'm always going through it as if it wre for the 1st time when I DO get the full Brazilian. Once I went in for the "maitanence"-every 4 week upkeep wax and it made SUCH a HUGE difference in the amount of pain...it was easy-peasy. I just can't justify the expenditure as often as would be necessary to avoid the pain.

I say go for it!! You're prepared! I DO think your idea of dipping your toes in slowly and getting a regular bikini is a pretty good idea though. Just FYI - I NEVER shave anymore! Only waxing. I bet once you wax you won't go back! It's such a difference...so much better!

Good Luck!
  • Options
    If you have several months and can spare the money, I'd highly recommend getting laser hair removal.  It's painful, but less so than waxing in my opinion, plus the results are permanent--you never have to get waxed again.  You usually get 7-10 treatments, but can start to notice a significant decrease in hair by the first or second.
  • Options
    I echo the adice of others that say to get it a few times before the wedding, and then three days before. 

The best time to go is right after you have finished your period.  The week leading up to it you are much more sensitive.  I find this to be the case for myself and my other friends feel the same.

If you are reluctant to do the full on brazilian you could also do a "french".  everything but one little area.
  • Options
    Take an Advil or Motrin 20 mins prior, and just go! Trust me, it's worth it when it's over ;) And with time, it gets easier. It's no walk in the park, but it does get easier as the hairs grow back finer. Good luck!  Ah, the things we ladies go through! Kiss
  • Options
    Well, Brazilian waxes are definitley not for the faint of heart or the modest! But chances are if you can handle having your legs waxed, then you can handle this also! My fiance likes it and I get it done every often. I won't lie to you it was extremely painful the first time, but I found that taking a couple of tylenol about 30 minutes before helps numb the area a bit. But here's the good news! After the first couple of strips, the area gets a bit numb anyway and doesn't hurt as bad!
  • Options
    There is already a lot of good advice here. The areas where you have shaved for a long time hurt worse than the places you rarely shave. I just started getting waxed a few months ago and am keeping it up until the wedding (and probably after since it's so nice not shaving!). Aside from being smooth longer, I LOVE the fact that the hair grows in thinner and finer. I pay around $80 for mine but the lady is worth it because she is quick, does a great job, and from the first time made me more comfortable than I thought was possible. When you take medicine before you go, make sure it's an anti-inflammatory like advil/ibuprofen and not just a pain reliever. Good Luck. =)
  • Options
    Get sugared instead... you will not get burnt by the wax and it is less painful
  • Options
    Hi there,
    I have been doing it for a few years now and honeslty find my eyebrows more painful to be waxed!  Like others have posted, I too think you may want to try it once or twice before taking the plunge prior to the big day.  Also and advil about an hour before is very helpful!

Good luck  & congrats!
  • Options
    My question is how do youfind a place to go...I've wanted to get one done, but I'm not sure where to go...
  • Options
    The first time hurts the most, but after that it's not bad @ all.. Take Motrin (ibuprofen) or Aleve ~20-30 min before, I think it helps a little.. Hard wax seems to last longer than strips.. What ever you do don't shave.. It grows back prickly & hard.. and you'll probably get more ingrown hairs.. Definitely go to someone who your friends or someone you know goes to & they say they're good.. 

I say, Just do it.. It's not that bad..

Good Luck!!!Laughing
  • Options
    As a heads up on taking Tylelol or Advil before you go, it really depends on what your worried about. Tylenol takes away pain, but not swelling. Advil is an anti-inflammatory and a pain killer, meaning that it will help reduce swelling and the pain at the same time. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]It is definitely worth it. Just make sure you find a place that DOES NOT double dip the stick.  Also, my advise would be to get Lidocain and spread the cream over the area you are going to get the brazilian. It does not completely numb the area but it definitely helps with the pain a little bit more than not using anything. <strong>The part that hurts the worst is the "hood", meaning the traingle area just below your stomach. All other areas are not as painful.</strong> Plus, once you start to get it done on a more frequent basis, the less painfull it seems to be. I would go a few times before your wedding to try it out.
    Posted by Jax2127[/QUOTE]

I don't know which surprised me more, that that area hurt, or that my rear (yes I went all the way around) didn't hurt at all.
  • Options

Well, Im more open than most so you will get a pretty R rated answer--so if you cannot stand frank open thoughts-skip me!

I tried a brazillian once and found that the sex sucked big time because my fiance kept slipping out.  I prefer the cleanup up look where i still have some hair for the friction needed but I still look and feel good.  I would say do the brazillian at your own risk!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been getting brazillians for two years. I would reccommend getting them a couple months in advance. It helps loosen the hairs. I usually go the week after my period. Do not tan or work out the day you are getting waxed. Tanning just makes the skin sensitive and I found that working out just makes me nervous and gives me the jitters. Also, if you start a few times before your wedding the after-effects won't be as red and severe looking.

Don't be nervous! It's what they do. My esthetician told me before to remember that she's seen worse. When you keep that in the back of your mind, makes you feel a little better.
  • Options
    Hey Ladies...

So they have a great saying for brazilians in the salon I go to:

Hate going in but love coming out!

To be honest... it's no walk in the park but you will LOVE the results (and your new husband will too)!  If you are really considering it, I say go for it!  It's a bit unpleasant while it's happening but I always feel like a total vixen as soon as I step out of the salon!

In my opinion, certain areas are definitely more sensitive but some spots are on par with eyebrow waxing.  It helps to have someone you're comfortable with do the waxing.  

Word to the wise... Aside from the obvious areas, the center strip is the most sensitive (lots of my friends agree).  Landing strips or other shapes that keep that center line in tact seem to have a lower ouch factor.

A couple tips to keep in mind:
    • Look for salons that can do a blend of hard wax and soft wax (each can come in handy, especially if you have some hair that is different lengths)
    • Make sure your hair isn't too long or too short
    • Keep in mind that if you've used any self tanner around your bikini line, the wax is going to leave paler spots (as it can slough off some skin) 
    • Remember to breathe!  It'll all be over soon!
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    My advice is to go to a waxing salon. I've gone to hair salons and nail salons for the brazillian and of the hair and nail salons I would never go back. I don't mind paying a little bit more to have a professional do my waxing. The nail salon burnt me and the hair salon briused me, the waxing salon knew what they were doing and got all of the hairs in the least painful way possible for waxing.
       Good Luck To You!Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards