Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Having trouble finding foundation for my skin tone...

I've decided to go ahead and do my own makeup for the wedding, because every time I have a professional do it, I tell them I like a natural look and I still walk away looking like I've escaped from the circus. I rarely wear makeup but when I put it on myself it looks pretty good. My problem is finding foundation. Every time I try a foundation, I turn orange. I'm really fair skinned, and i've heard that if the foundation turns orange then it's too dark for you. But I grab the lightest one every time, and as soon as I start to put it on, I turn orange. I'd really love to not look like an oompa loompa on my wedding day, can anyone help me out? I can only use cream or liquid foundation as well, because my skin tends to be flaky (even after exfoliating and using scrubs, etc) and powder foundations cause problems with that. Also, I don't have a ton of money to spend, I can't afford to drop 50-100 dollars on makeup that i'll only wear 4 or 5 times before it goes bad, so I'm a bit limited in my selection. Help please?

Re: Having trouble finding foundation for my skin tone...

• Options
    Go to Sephora and get color matched.  Let them know that you are on a budget.  Clinique and Sephora brands seem to be the most inexpensive.  If you do feel like splurging, I can't gush enough about how wonderful Makeup Forever HD foundation is.  
  • Options
    If you're coming out too orange, it could be that your foundation has too many yellow tones in it.  I have to get "cool" tone foundations or neutrals.  Try L'oreal Tru Match.  There is a card in the store you can hold over your jaw line to get the best color match.  I'm pretty pale, and my L'oreal tru-match is C-2, which is ALMOST the lightest cool tone they make.  C1 is Alabaster, I think.  As far as budget goes, L'oreal puts out coupons in the Sunday paper pretty regularly, so it might be $8 for foundation, but if you get a $3 or $2 off coupon, you can save.  Get one product at a time, and I'd start with foundation until you find the color that works best for you.  I have a warmer tone I mix together when I get more sun during the summertime (W4), and I never wear the warm tone by itself (too orange), but mixed in, it helps keep my complexion even if I have a bit of a tan going on. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    oh, thank you thank you thank you kelly! I went up to walgreens (where I work so I get a discount, whee!) and bought the N1 foundation, and it's ever so slightly light but once I blend it in, it doesn't turn orange! I still need to work on the fact that my skin is flaky, but this helps. Thank you!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_having-trouble-finding-foundation-skin-tone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:825c93e1-c18c-40f6-9d50-c8992e729de8Post:a01e7069-5b88-4f0f-96f2-a0a46f8b895d">Re: Having trouble finding foundation for my skin tone...</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh, thank you thank you thank you kelly! I went up to walgreens (where I work so I get a discount, whee!) and bought the N1 foundation, and it's ever so slightly light but once I blend it in, it doesn't turn orange! I still need to work on the fact that my skin is flaky, but this helps. Thank you!
    Posted by fireytiger[/QUOTE]

Glad you found this foundation.  I have the exact same one!  I'm actually crazy pale so it's not too light for me, lol.  I as going to post to check this one out otherwise b/c I have the card right in front of me too.  I got it in the mail for free and I keep it so I remember.  :)
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards