Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

do you tip for hair/makeup trial??

I am obviously tipping for when I get my hair and make-up done the day of my wedding.  However, do I need to tip for the (extrodinarily overpriced, IMO) hair trials?  My artists are employees of a small wedding based beuty salon- not the owner.  Thanks.   

Re: do you tip for hair/makeup trial??

• I plan on tipping for trials, although not as much as on the wedding day
  • I would tip.  A lot of hairstylists and makeup aritsts live on tips.  My mother used to be a hair stylist (YEARS ago.... like 20..) and I know she would be upset if someone didn't tip her.  They're still providing the service to you, and tipping shows that you're happy with it.  If you don't tip, they might think that you weren't happy with them. 

I do agree with arthomas though, and tip more for your wedding day.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • I tipped the same for the trial as my wedding day (20%).  My MUA provided the exact same service at my trial as she did at my wedding, maybe more so.
  • Yes, I tip everyone all the time.  I always get great service and never have problems getting appointments, even on short notice. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • I tipped my trials. They took the time and listened to me wanting to change everything its the least I can do
    RSVP: AUGUST 18,2010 image 256 Are Invited image 191 Are ready to Party!
    image 65 Will be missing out image 0 Where Are you? We can't wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ok, i am a hairstylist, and just to let you know, all tips are always accepted and appreciated. :)
  • I had mine yesterday and tipped her.  I didn't do a makep trial though since this same girl has done my makeup for 2 other weddings I've been in and I know she does good work.  And I'll tip her the same probably for the wedding.  Haha I'd be afraid if I didn't tip them at the trial that they would do something to my hair or makeup on the wedding day!

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited July 2010
    Im an esthetician and makeup artist; tips are never "expected" but always accepted and very much appreciated. We work on commission, and tips are a generous part of our income (about 10-15%). I'm always tipped for bridal makeup trials, partially because it is part of the contract system we use. Even if it isn't your "day of" service, I'm still taking time out of my schedule to service you. Not to mention, I take a lot of time with brides, we chat, figure out what to do, try a few different things, etc. I have some clients who tip me extremely well, and I will ALWAYS go out of my way to accommodate any last-minute schedule changes, appointment add-ons, etc., for those clients because they are loyal and appreciate my time and expertise. A word of advice: It is always remembered if you spent a lot of time and energy on a person who didn't extend a thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit NewHampshire.Weddings.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards