Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Need a concealer

So my wedding day is in one week and the recent stress has caused me to break out wayyy more than usual.  My makeup artist does not have any concealer so I'm looking to bring my own.  Does anyone have any recs?  I've been using Neutrogena but it's not very good coverage.  Is Smashbox Camera Ready good, or should I be looking for something made for breakouts?

Also, the makeup artist only has ONE shade of foundation.  I think it looked okay in the trial (PIB) but I'm not sure if maybe it would be best if I brought my own foundation too.  Should I go a shade darker than I usually wear so it will look better in the photographs?  I'm really vampireishly pasty.

EDIT:  I also have to bring my own mascara.  I bought Maybelline Stiletto to try but it looks NOTHING like the commercial and seems to counteract what my lash curler does.  I need something lengthening.  Any recs for that too?

My makeup artist is such a bum.
imageimage
Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Need a concealer

• Some non vendor responses, please?
    imageimage
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I really like Make Up For Ever Full Coverage concealer. It's really highly pigmented so it covers up really well. And I wouldn't use a darker shade of foundation than you normally do. As long as it doesn't have a high SPF it should be fine. Your makeup artist does sound like a bum, sorry! Good luck! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Panda - how much are you paying this makeup artist? I have seriously never heard of an artist that doesn't have concealer and has only ONE shade of foundation! That is absurd! The point of having an artist is so you don't have to stress about having the products.  She should be providing that.

Don't wear your foundation darker, just lightly have the artist add bronzer to warm up your skin.  Bobbi Brown makes a beautiful matte finish, oil free bronzer.  MAC has an awesome concealer in a pot and it's relatively inexpensive.  If you are trying to cover a breakout, a yellow concealer will counteract the redness.  You should apply the yellow concealer first and then add foundation, powder and bronzer.  Lancome also makes a yellow concealer. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • She's costing me twenty just for the makeup, she's also doing my hair (which turned out beautiful).  I think I will bring her my regular every day foundation.  Her makeup is also a kit from Ulta (Ulta brand) that retails for 17 bucks.  Unfortunately, I found all this out too late, and it's too late to find a new makeup person.

Thanks so much for the suggestions though!  I will definitely look into them!
    imageimage
  • What's your budget for products? I agree with pps, your MUA sounds a little fishy to me.

My favs for what you need are:
    - Foundation - Make up forever.  It's great for photos, no spf so it won't wash you out and holds up great

- Concealer - Estee Lauder Double Wear.  It lasts throughout my 24 hour shifts at the hospital and covers my dark under eye circles like a dream. 

- Mascara: Diorshow.  I love it.  If you want something a little last pricey do Cover Girl Lash Blast.
  • My budget isn't huge.  I found a concealer that matched my fair skin at the Clinique counter, and it covers very well.  Thanks for the mascara recs, I'll buy a tube of Lash Blast tomorrow and see how that works - hopefully better than Stiletto! 
    imageimage
  • seriously, what a waste of makeup artist when they only have one shade, you have to bring your own foundation, concealer, and mascara - i hope this is a friend doing it for free!!!
    concealer - I looove revlon's (I think) concealer - they have a liquid one with salacylic acid, which helps cover and heal blemishes!  I use it first, let it dry a little, and then use powdered makeup over it.  It's awesome!
    You could always try some spot treatment and drink LOTS of water and don't wear makeup this week - anything to help it clear up before your wedding. :)  Seriously, it sounds OCD, but I only sleep on a pillow case side once (I change them every other night) to keep my face from touching oils from previous nights.  But it helps.:)
    I'm on a search for good mascara, too.  I'm betting that as long as it's water-resistant, I'll be happy with it, though.
    Oh, as for foundation - be careful if you want to use something darker.  You wouldn't want your face to be obviously darker than your neck!  And depending on your dress style, makeup near the neck could get on your dress.  Granted, I'd imagine a *good* makeup artist could work with it to fade it away....but I wouldn't know!  I'm not one!!
  • I'm really pissed that it's 20$ for this woman to apply makeup that I bought and what she brings from a cheap Ulta kit.  I'm considering filing with the BBB after the wedding if it doesn't work out.  But when I found out this is how she was, it was too late to find a new artist and I can't do it myself :(  At least she applies what she does have very well.
    imageimage
  • I can't say anything about mark makeup? It's seriously one of the best I've used. But okay, I'll pick a drugstore/dept. store brand:

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Concealer. It's the 2nd best kind. :)

It kinda sucks that you can only get mark from a rep, otherwise I'd say you should order some.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_need-concealer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:ab559145-a0f4-4297-a903-b2a5ead2126dPost:00392cc3-fb01-417e-bde6-c20daffa4663">Re: Need a concealer</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't say anything about mark makeup? It's seriously one of the best I've used. But okay, I'll pick a drugstore/dept. store brand: Neutrogena Skin Clearing Concealer. It's the 2nd best kind. :) It kinda sucks that you can only get mark from a rep, otherwise I'd say you should order some.
    Posted by brimcleod[/QUOTE]

Mark/Avon products can be purchased on ebay.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Even thought the dept. store I manage doesn't carry MAC when it comes to concealor and foundation I have not found anything better. 

.....and I have tried it all. LOL For mascara I love Lancome but LashBlast works well too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_need-concealer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:ab559145-a0f4-4297-a903-b2a5ead2126dPost:00392cc3-fb01-417e-bde6-c20daffa4663">Re: Need a concealer</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'll pick a drugstore/dept. store brand: Neutrogena Skin Clearing Concealer. It's the 2nd best kind. :) 
    Posted by brimcleod[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ah, that's the concealer I was trying (and have successfully) replaced.  I thought the coverage was too light with the Neutrogena, but I'm sure it's different for different people.</div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, thanks everyone for the tips. I gave in and spent the forty bucks on the Forever Makeup Foundation but it's going to work beautifully. And now I'm all set for Saturday!

</div>
    imageimage
  • Congrats!  Post pics after Saturday! Have an amazing day!
  • edited December 2009
    don't have a suggestion for a concealor, but mark/avon products can be purchased on avon.com. I've bought from the website before and I don't know anyone who is a rep.

woot.
    http://shop.avon.com/shop/product_list.aspx?level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=314&cat_type=C

Kappa, you know I'm not a vendor and I'm one of the first to point out when a vendor is advertising. just pointing out that folks don't have to jump through hoops  to get their makeup.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_need-concealer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:ab559145-a0f4-4297-a903-b2a5ead2126dPost:34acb340-40ca-4f46-a9b4-aa6286c828b6">Re: Need a concealer</a>:
    [QUOTE]don't have a suggestion for a concealor, but mark/avon products can be purchased on avon.com. I've bought from the website before and I don't know anyone who is a rep. woot. <a href="http://shop.avon.com/shop/product_list.aspx?level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=314&cat_type=C" rel="nofollow">http://shop.avon.com/shop/product_list.aspx?level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=314&cat_type=C</a> Kappa, you know I'm not a vendor and I'm one of the first to point out when a vendor is advertising. just pointing out that folks don't have to jump through hoops  to get their makeup.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

Huh? I know you're not a vendor!  LOL  Am I missing something? 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
  • just in case Kappa :)

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Okay, cool... lol.
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards