Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Getting rid of blemishes/ How much for a derm, what do you do?

Hi Everyone,

I have never been to a dermatologist before--how much do they typically cost?  I have blackheads MAJORLY and an occasional breakout, nothing to big though.

I have tried a TON of different "blackhead removal" scrubs--they don't work, tons of visibly noticeable ones on my nose.  I want to get rid of them once and for all! Any tips or products you've bought?

I've seen ads for Clarisonic face brushes, like on sephora and ulta--but I don't want to drop $100+ for something gimmicky, anyone use these or have thoughts on them? 

Re: Getting rid of blemishes/ How much for a derm, what do you do?

• Options
    You should get regular facials for your skin problems, especially blackheads removal. I used to go in every two months, now just once in a while since I'm all cleared. As far as the dermatologist, mine charges around $100. You should have a derm. check up every year anyways, so I'd say go in and ask him to help clear out the breakouts. I don't own one but I've heard very good thing about the Clarisonic, and it's a good alternative to going to get facials since you're only dropping the money once and for all.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    A dermatologist is just like any other doctor, I think it should be covered by insurance. But if you don't have insurance and splash out a ton on a dr.'s appointment that won't necessarily solve your problems. At an appointment the dermatologist can take care of things like mole removals, scar or sun damage reduction, etc. but I've never heard of a black head removal that would happen during your visit (but then again, I'm not a dr., nor have I personally had tons of problems with blackheads)

A lot of what a dermalogist could do, if anything, I think would be to prescribe something, which you won't know the cost of until you get the prescription, although you can request generic.

As far as blackheads go though, I know a lot of people have had great success with Biore Strips (use the brand name ones, generic ones are cruddy), you apply them about one a week and they're about a dollar or two a strip. Definitely try it.
  • Options
    I have a dermatologist, but it's covered under my insurance, so it only costs what my copay is. 

I also have a Clarisonic, and I love mine.  I have incredibly dry skin with hormonal breakouts along my chin, and my skin is a lot better since using the Clarisonic... but it is expensive. 

If you're looking for extractions of blackheads, that's something that an esthetician would do in a facial, not a dermatologist.  Dermatologists look for ways to treat.  They prescribe medicine.  An esthetician is treating the skin...and trying to deep clean it and rid your pores of gunk.  It sounds to me that you're looking for an esthetician, not a dermatologist.  It depends on your area, but facials can run anywhere from $40 to $75.  A European facial is going to have extractions.  If you're looking to save money, I'd look into any esthetician schools in your area.  There's a school around me that does facials for $39 where every other place charges $55 for the same service. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    I get extractions and then the Blue U laser. I only do it once a year. It kills the acne causing bacteria. I'm a big fan. It kept my skin clear for about a year!
  • Options
    Just buy an extractor online at amazon.  If your only problem is blackheads, that should help.  Make sure to read up on how to use it though so you get the best results!
  • Options
    I do have the same problem and with break outs. I thought I was done with that in my teens but with added stress, I guess not. anyways I ordered proactive and have used it for 3 days now and my face looks better already. Right now you can get it for $20 to $40 bucks. No joke it really works...
  • Options
    If you need to spot treat a blemish you can go straight to your dermatologist for a quick 5 minute quickject.  They inject  it with some bacteria killing agent- i think they use benzyl peroxide and literally it will start reducing in just a few hours.  Plus with an insurance co-pay, it costs only $20 versus the $75 and up facial cost.

A great alternative if you get a bad zit on an important day!

Please note that they will make you sign a waiver since if injected wrong you could get bruising, but if they know what they are doing this shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options

I am an Aesthetician and I would recomend that you go see one to get you on a regular skin care regimen. Pay all that money to see a Derm. really is not worth the money or the time. They dont analyze your skin they way a aesthetician does. You dont have to have regular facials I know they are expensive. But if you go to a spa and have a consulte and one facial they will recomend products that work for your skin. There are five basic things you need Cleanser, Toner, exfoliant (key product to have), moisturizer, and sunscreen. Your skin care specalist will recomend the ones that are right for your skin. In your case products that treat oily skin which causes blackheads. Proactive and those type of products only work for certian skin types, so i would not try that.

I personly know from having bad acne that just using a regular skin care regimen really works. My skin looks the best it ever has. I tried all sorts of stuff form the dermatologist and none of it work.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards