Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

How long before ceremony to get hair done?

My ceremony is at 1:30, have 5 people getting hair done including myself, and 2 people getting makeup done. My stylist said to be there at 8, but I don't think it will take that long.

Re: How long before ceremony to get hair done?

• My wedding was at 6pm with pictures at 2pm. I had to be in the salon by 8:30 am.  There were 7 of us (2 hairdressers and 2 MUA) and we left at 12:30.  It's better to get there early and have more time than you need than to run late.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just don't want my hair/makeup to get messed up being as it will be a few hours before ceremony.
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Our wedding was at 5:30 with pictures at 2:00.  My three bridesmaids and I had hair appointments starting at 9:00.  Two stylists worked on our hair.  We finished in just under an hour and a half (side note: my sister's hairstyle was simple and took all of 15 minutes to do - the rest of us were a little bit more complicated).  The MUA came to my parents' house (5 min from salon) at 10:30 and she did myself, my sister, and my mom.  One MUA applied airbrush makeup and we finished in about an hour and a half.  We had time to spare, which I was happy with.  If anything would've run late or if anything went wrong, we had some buffer time.  By 2:00 in the morning, after dancing all night, my hair and makeup still looked perfect.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • 8 am sounds about right. If you hairdresser and MUA are worth their salt, they will style you in a way that won't easily be mussied up.

What are you planning to do with your hair? For formal styles they usually load up the hairspray to keep it looking freshly done for hours, even if it is partially down.  Your make-up should be fine, as MUAs use primers and setting sprays to keep it in place - the only thing you may need to touch-up is lipcolor.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • FSIL and FMIL are not getting makeup and hair done, they are doing it themselves.

Now it's just myself=hair and makeup
    MOH-hair and makeup
    BM-hair and makeup
    Mom-Hair

Should we push it pack to 9??
  • edited January 2013
    I had a 1:00 PM ceremony and had my hair & makeup done at 9 AM. Wishing we would have started earlier. It took a good 1 1/2 hours to get done, and I have very short hair. It took that long even with short hair becuase I did have a good hair stylist who took her time to make sure it was done right & that it would hold. Same for my makeup, took a lot longer the then 5 minutes I spend on it in the morning (but it held up all day long, except for lipstick but that's to be expected). Here was my schedule & it was tight

9:00 Hair done
    10:30 Limo picked up girls from my parents house & my dress (limo had to pick me up from reception hall because I it took a lot longer at hair salon then I expected)
    11:00 AM I got picked up from limo
    11:50 AM - arrived at church (it was about 30 minutes away from where I was picked up but due to traffic it took a lot longer)
    12:00 pM - had a quick lunch with my bridesmaid
    12:20 PM - girls got dressed
    12:30 PM - I got dressed
    12:45 PM - Made sure everyone looked good
    12:50 PM - Hurried up & cleaned up our mess (we got dressed at church)

If we would have started earlier w/hair, we would have had a larger cushion which would have allowed for more time to relax and just enjoy the day/morning instead of it being crazy & busy. And I might have had time for some pre-wedding photos with my girls and parents.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_how-long-before-ceremony-to-get-hair-done?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:bf0dd362-f398-4399-a413-3e890d5bd953Post:54c5f86d-2bc9-4c6f-aff4-ab530d2c2ed9">Re: How long before ceremony to get hair done?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FSIL and FMIL are not getting makeup and hair done, they are doing it themselves. Now it's just myself=hair and makeup MOH-hair and makeup BM-hair and makeup Mom-Hair <strong>Should we push it pack to 9??</strong>
    Posted by emricmacy[/QUOTE]

<div>I would keep it at 8.  </div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Stay at 8. It's better to have a little down time than running around frantic, don't you think?

It's your wedding day, and from your other posts, you seem to be stressed out about it! Take that extra time to soak in the day, and you never know what will come up the day-of!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The earlier the better. If the makeup and hair are done right, it will stay put for the ceremony and reception. Be sure to do a trail run to make sure everything stays put.
  • We started getting our hair and makeup done at 9am, and everyone still looked gorgeous at midnight when the wedding was over. I wouldn't really worry about starting too early. We also ended up taking a full hour more than we planned, BUT we had put an hour cushion in just to be safe, so really we were fine. I can't imagine what we would have done without thata cushion!
  • edited January 2013
    I agree having it earlier is better. Your hair and makeup should stay all night. I definitely agree to keep it early, especially if your ceremony is at 1:30. You have to factor in transportation time, waiting time while your guests are seated, etc. Are you taking any pictures before the ceremony?

I know I am a bit concerned about my makeup, but only because I have really oily skin...so I'll have to ask my MUA about that. I know I'll be stressed enough as it is, though, so we are starting our hair and makeup appt at 9am (any earlier and we pay extra for them to open the shop early) even though pics don't start until 2 or 3, ceremony at 5:30. I will be happy if there is a bit of time in between to relax, calm down and get a bite to eat :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • We are doing pictures at 4:00 and we are starting hair and makeup at , just to be safe.  Generally, 30 min for bridesmaids, 45 min for bride.  I only have 1 girl doing hair and we are doing own makeup and there are 3 bridesmaids.  Plus, the photographer will be there snapping away and I'm sure we'll have to stop to pose or redo something here and there.  I think 8 am sounds early just ebcause it's 8 am in the mornig!  Better find yourself with some time on your hands then possibly feeling rushed or being late.  And don't forget to schedule in travel time if needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards