Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

red bumpy spots on arms help

Hi girls,

Im wondering if any of you have any idea how to help me. Ever since I was a kid I got little patches on my arms of red and bumpy dry skin (noticable on my very pale skin), My mom always called it "goose skin"  but Im sure thats not the technical name  for it :p

I never worried too much about it before but now that I am getting married and wearing a straples dress I dont want all my photos to have these blotchy looking arms in them.

Have any of you ever heard of this or had any luck getting it to go away? My wedding is not for 7 months so I have some time to try a few things out.

Thanks for your help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: red bumpy spots on arms help

• Have you ever been to a Dermatologist about it? It sounds like eczema or psoriasis to me. 
  • Only a dermatologist can tell you for sure, so I highly recommend going to see one.  I had something that sounds similar that turned out to be eczema.  She wrote me a prescription for a cream to put on it, and a week later the patch was gone.  I still have the tube and apply the cream when I see a new spot cropping up, and I haven't really had an issue.
  • I have a mild form of excema on my arms and that's what it sounds like to me. Going to the derm isn't a big deal... I go once a year!
  • souptinsouptin member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Thanks guys!

I had not considered that it could be eczema but it would make sense, as a kid I would occasionally get an eczema rash on my face-but it was different, itchy, sore and the stuff on my arms was just "there"

totally worth a trip to a derm to check out, I honestly thought it was just really dry skin

I almost feel a little silly asking now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My brother and I both have it we were always told by our grandma it's our Irish skin. When I went to a dermatolgist he told me it was just my heredity I wonder if it is the same for you. I am red haired and extremely pale too. I have found a lot of luck with exfolating clothes. I have a special exfolating towel from the company Earth Therapeutics that works. I use that and have started to put my daily mositurizer on my arms and it seems to be helping.
  • It could be keratosis pilaris:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

There is a product called KP Duty by dermadoctor which I've used.  Also, sunlight helps.  Just don't rub it too hard when you exfoliate as you could make it worse.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_red-bumpy-spots-on-arms-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:c2b83fbd-a80e-46f4-a7d3-eb60a8bb888fPost:c6143a5a-9f2b-4fa8-8feb-d74a615fdff5">Re: red bumpy spots on arms help</a>:
    [QUOTE]It could be keratosis pilaris:  <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris</a> There is a product called KP Duty by dermadoctor which I've used.  Also, sunlight helps.  Just don't rub it too hard when you exfoliate as you could make it worse.
    Posted by lodonnell616[/QUOTE]

<div>I was just about to suggest that it could be KP!</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, would you compare the bumps on your arm to goosebumps?  Do your arms look almost sunburnt?  If so, I would definitely think it's KP and not eczema.  For years, people constantly asked if I was cold (because my KP resembled goosebumps) or if my sunburn hurt (because my arms were blotchy and red).  I was so embarrassed by my arms.</div><div>
    </div><div>I haven't tried KP Duty, but I've been using sulphur soap daily and I also use Lac-Hydrin Five several times a week.  I have been following this regimen for over a year now and it has helped a great deal.  </div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_red-bumpy-spots-on-arms-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:c2b83fbd-a80e-46f4-a7d3-eb60a8bb888fPost:239a8cc2-479a-48d4-b9ad-898164e2b5a9">Re: red bumpy spots on arms help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: red bumpy spots on arms help : I was just about to suggest that it could be KP! OP, would you compare the bumps on your arm to goosebumps?  Do your arms look almost sunburnt?  If so, I would definitely think it's KP and not eczema.  For years, people constantly asked if I was cold (because my KP resembled goosebumps) or if my sunburn hurt (because my arms were blotchy and red).  I was so embarrassed by my arms. I haven't tried KP Duty, but I've been using sulphur soap daily and I also use Lac-Hydrin Five several times a week.  I have been following this regimen for over a year now and it has helped a great deal.  
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

that describes exactly what I am talking about! I checked the wiki link PP put up and I swear that photo could be my arm!
    Looks like I am booking an appointment to see a dermatologist.

thanks for the advice girls :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jojoba Oil works well too if KP. I loofa in the shower then put the jojoba oil on as soon as I get out of the shower. 

• You should try the Body Micro Dermabrassion Bar and the Soothe Regimen by Rodan + Fields Dermatologists.  The doctors have made these prescription medicines in over-the counter strengths .  You will be so pleased with the results as so many others have been.  Take a look at my site:  https://iLangman.myrandf.com or facebook.com/IrisLangmanSkincare

You can order on -line from my site.  Be sure to join as a Preferred Customer(PC) so that you can receive discounts and free shipping.  These products are so good that the doctors offer a full money back guarantee.  Use the products for 60 day, if your not fully satisfied you can send them back for a full refund.  Contact me if you have any questions.  Happy wedding and happy life..with beautiful skin you will be proud ofSmile

• my skin doesn't get dry, but I have that red bumpy thing going on. i believe it started as a side effect to certain meds I had to take as a teenager. So now I have the bumps and scaring as well. I'm wondering if I would get my upper arms airbrushed lightly as a part of my make-up package. I wonder if anyone has done this before.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards