Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

weight loss advice needed

My wedding is in 20 days, and I need to loose about 10 lbs. I've been going to the gym 3 days a week for the last month, I'm going to up that to 5, and cut out soda and fast food (no easy task, I might add) but does anyone have any advice on what else I should be doing?

One of my coworkers is getting married in October, she suggested diet pills, but I don't know enough about any of them to trust one and she wants me to use those with efedrin, and that just scares me a little.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Re: weight loss advice needed

• It might be unreasonable to try to lose 10lbs in 20 days.  Some people can do it, but usually it is because they have a lot more than 10lbs to lose and usually it is mostly water.  I don't recommend diet pills, they usually have no effect and can be unsafe.  A crash diet can back fire.  Have you reduced your salt intake?  usually that can take off some water weight.  How many calories are you eating?

Some low carb diets might give you results in that time, but you'll want to talk to your doctor first.
  • edited February 2010

Do you drink a lot of water?
    Up your water to 10 glasses a day and you will hydrate your body and lose a lot of your retained water!
    Also, minimize your portion sizes...

Good Luck!

• if you're already working out and cut out extra stuff like soda and fast food, i suggest cutting back carbs....no bread or past or atleast very little.  My FI and I were hosting a halloween party this past year and we were making homemade costumes (He was Leonitus from 300, I was the Queen).  We both wanted to lose 10lbs each or atleast inches before then and we had approx. 22 days till the party.  We eat rather healthy anyways, so the only thing we could do was cut carbs.  We would limit our carbs to 1 or 2 a day (meaning breads and pasta).  So we mainly at chicken and vegetables, or tuna and vegetables.  Fruit for dessert (with cream, it's low in fat and sugar)...but hardly any bread.  I lost 7lbs, he lost 8lbs I think.  Add that to your excercise, you'll atleast cut some inches off in those annoying places!
  • Wowzers that's 1/2 lb a day!  Each pound of fat is equal to 3,000 calories, so you would need to burn 1,500 calories a day.  That isn't safe for your body.  You can do some serious damage with all of the metabolites and electrolyte imbalances.

That being said, Ali is the only FDA approved weight loss supplement.  It prevents your body from absorbing fat, so you can't absorb as many calories.  The fat has to go somewhere, and that's out of your body.  You will probably have terrible bowel movements until you adjust to a low fat diet.  It is supposed to train you to eat right.  Those who can put up with having massive fatty diarrhea swear by it haha.

The best thing to do would probably be to increase your fruits and vegetables.  You should be getting 5-10 servings a day.  F&V have a lot of fiber which helps to keep you full, longer.  It also absorbs cholesterol, so it naturally lowers your blood counts.  Try not to drink juice, because it has all of the sugar and calories of fruit, but without the beneficial fiber.  (One glass of orange juice is made up of about 8-10 oranges.  You would never eat that many in one sitting :) 

Take a multivitamin and drink plenty of water (at least 2-3 liters a day).  Many times thirst and hunger signals can get confused. You may think that you are hungry when in reality, you're just thirsty.  A multivitamin can also help decrease cravings.  This isn't a proven fact, but it is theorized that having the essential nutrients can decrease hunger.

Get plenty of sleep and de-stress.  Turn one of your workouts into a yoga session.  Stress causes the release of the hormone cortisol, which is responsible for gaining/retaining fat.

Do you need to lose the weight to fit into your dress?
    Photobucket
  • Losing 10 lbs in your time frame is going to be tough.  Rather than resort to diet pills why not try some natural approaches.  Reduce your sodium intake so you're not retaining water, eat healthy, use Spanx.  Mesotone cream is a natural cellulite product that has clinical studies backing up its efficacy.  It can start to show results in 10 days.  You may not lose 10lbs but if you try some of these tricks, it just might look like you did!  Good luck and congratulations on your wedding!
  • Everything Nilla said.  Read, reread, and read again.

10lbs in 20 days is not reasonable or healthy.  Sorry.  Health experts will say 1 or 2lbs a week is the most your body can safely lose and sustain, so you're looking at 6lbs max... still nothing to sneer at.

Good luck!
  • Paleo diet! Basically cut out carbs..no pasta, bread or starchy veggies like potatoes. Trust me, if you eat fish, meat, fruit and veggies you will definitely be able to do it. And you will feel great. Here are my before/afer pics:

http://evolutioncatering.blogspot.com/2009/05/cavewoman-kats-before-and-after-pics.html

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 132 Invited so far! image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 12 Will be missing out
  • Wow...katmstrange...your pics are impressive! Dou you have a good webiste source to learn more about the paleo diet?
    Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The best / fastest / most effective way to lose weight (that I have found) is the following:

Go to the gym as much as you can (I recommend 5 times a week having 2 days to rest) - CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO and small weights to add a little definition

Drink LOTS of water and have several, small meals a day (I recommend 6 meals - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, small snack). This will boost your metabolism and really get the fat burning going.

For snacks you can have fruits (with low glucose contents) or a cup of low calories cereal. Stay completely away from bread (you can have one small serving everyday.. only wheat or grain bread), pasta, fast food, soda, sugar, desserts, even fruit juices. Water is key here!

Your last actual meal (dinner) should be the smallest of the day (breakfast and lunch should be larger to get you thru the day), and should not happen after 6pm. Then you night snack can happen at 7pm... and then no more until the next day!

I think thats it... I hope that helps!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers image Val
  • sorry, i haven' t checked this blog in a while! yes, check out these blogs to learn more about paleo:

marksdailyapple.com
    freetheanimal.com

Feel free to ask me any questions too :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 132 Invited so far! image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 12 Will be missing out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards