Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

acrylic nails - please help!

I have acrylic nails.  I have had them for a few of months now, and I get them filled in and re-painted every 2 weeks.  My wedding is in July, and I am planning to keep my acrylic nails at least until then and indefinitely afterwards, continuing to get them filled in every 2 weeks.

However, I am having problems with them breaking.  I don't do much physical work, and I wear gloves when I clean or do dishes, so I can't figure out what is causing them to break.  I broke one putting on my shoe last night.  The entire top just snapped right off.

I seem to have better luck with them not breaking when I just get the traditional french manicure as opposed to getting other nail polish colors, but maybe I am just being superstitious.

Could anyone help me?  I'm wondering what might be causing them to break. The salon I go to is great about getting me right in to fix them, but since I have to pay per nail (and tip, of course) when they break before my 2 week appointment, it's starting to get expensive.

Re: acrylic nails - please help!

• You might have water under the acrylics from hand-washing.  When I had mine filled last year (wore them for a few months only), they snapped RIGHT off after the first filling doing small household things.  All I can imagine is that something is under there, again, like water to prevent it from remaining sealed onto your nail.  I would probably have them soaked off and a fresh set put on. Hope this helps!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a nail tech and either there's water under them or they weren't filled properly. Maybe a step was missed or did they get new product and used it over a different product? I would suggest soaking them off as well letting your nails breath for a while, even if it's just for a few weeks, and get them put back on.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Have you tried shellac nails?  I used to wear acrylic years ago but it damaged my nails and I absolutely love the shellac.  They don't chip or break and the polish looks like it's brand new, even after 2 weeks.

• I agree shellac is much better on your nails than acrylic. I wear shellac on my nails because it doesn't damage your nail beds!
  • I have heard great things about the shellac. If the french manicure works better for you, you could maybe do that and just have them painted a different color.
  • Thanks, everyone!  She has me wash my hands right before she is ready to fill in the acrylic to get rid of the dust, so I'm wondering if I didn't dry my hands well enough before she applied the acrylic.  I am going to be more careful and see if that solves the problem.  If not, I will definitely consider switching to the shellac.

Thanks so much everyone for your help and advice!  I really appreciate it.
  • That's definitely a possibility, but I normally wouldn't have anyone wash their hands right before applying acrylic.
  • Some times you would leave acrylics off for at least a month every once and a while so your nails have time to breathe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards