Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Need dress advice!

Soooo I have found THE DRESS! But I have one problem! We are having a long engagement and my wedding is not for another two years. The dress is exactly what I want and I really felt like a bride in it. Also the price is extremly good. 
So now I have mixed feelings coming from people with making the purchase so early. My MOH does not think I should buy it because she says styles will change and she thinks I may not like it in 2 years. My mother as well as mother in law think I should purchase it if I really like it and because the price is way below my budget which is also nice.

What do I do?? Say yes to the dress and purchase two years in advance? or wait it out and if that dress is not longer available find a new one? HELP!

Re: Need dress advice!

• Options
    I don't think there's a RIGHT answer, but I personally would not buy it. I am having a seven month engagement and I bought my dress a month in and I STILL have second thoughts. Ultimately, I love it and wouldn't have chosen anything else. However, I would still wait, and just keep your eye on the dress and the designer. Some designers keep dresses around for a few years.
  • Options
    Depends -- are you the kind of person who likes to check things off your list and be done with them, or do you second guess everything until the day of? Personally, I'd love to get it done with and not revisit it again. One less thing to stress about, especially if it's what you like and under budget. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_need-dress-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:e8a6957f-7c2b-4928-938c-06c52afa3e64Post:1dedbccd-31c2-4dd7-a09e-42e6ccbc50d7">Re: Need dress advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think there's a RIGHT answer, but I personally would not buy it. I am having a seven month engagement and I bought my dress a month in and I STILL have second thoughts. Ultimately, I love it and wouldn't have chosen anything else. However, I would still wait, and just keep your eye on the dress and the designer. Some designers keep dresses around for a few years.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I think I agree more with this.  I too bought my dress a month in, and second guessed it for 9 months.  I can't imagine fretting over my decision for 2 years -- and trust me, you will do just that.  So I vote wait.  My guess is even if you bought it now, you will be buying another one next year. 
  • Options
    I would wait.

Have you set a date and picked a venue?

Will the dress fit the season?  I liked a dress, but it looked too wintery for my spring/summer wedding.  What if you do a winter wedding and this one looks too summery?

Will it fit the location?  I'd wear a different dress for a beach wedding than a chapel wedding.

If you don't have a date and venue yet, i'd definitely not get it.
  • Options
    honestly i didn't wait my wedding is in a year and a half and i have a dress already. i loved it. and i'm a very decisive person. i've been dreaming about that dress since i got it so i know i wont go back. go with your heart on this one.
  • Options
    The only reason I would caution against it is in case your eright fluctuates a lot.  If you find that you can go up or down a dress size from time to time, I would highly caution against this.  I bought my dress in September and my wedding is in June and I find myself going to the bridal shop to make sure it fits wayyy too often.  Im sure you will be able to find something similar, just take lots of pictures of yourself in the dress and remember what you like about it so much.  I would be afraid the material would deteriate, discolor and or develop odors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards