Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Hair and Makeup Trial before signing contract?

Hi ladies,

I have found a hair/makeup artist that i am considering using for my wedding day. I have seen some photos of her work which I really like but there aren't too many reviews online since she just recently went out on her own. (She was the assistant to another stylist in my area who gets rave reviews but has retired.) Her prices are reasonable and she has been extremely helpful and responsive with my millions of questions. She wants me to sign a contract to lock her in for her services but suggested I have my trial towards the middle or end of the summer (my wedding's not til October and I don't have a veil picked out yet.) What if I sign with her and then after the trial I hate my hair or makeup? Have any of you signed a contract without having your trial first? Am I overstressing since I do love the photos of her work?

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary

Re: Hair and Makeup Trial before signing contract?

• Options
    Yeah this can be a tough one.  I signed with my MUA before my trial but she did my makeup for my E-pics and I loved it so I felt confident signing.

Before that, I had a trial with a MUA which was a disaster and I had to start completely over.  That was 7 months before my wedding (about where you are now).  I just got a cheap veil from Wal-Mart and used that since mine had not come in yet.  This woman I thought was fairly reputable, was very nice over e-mail, and she was cheap.  But I was very unhappy and paid for the trial and that was it.

I chose my 2nd MUA based on reviews on my local board and also every bride I had seen her do looked beautiful.  If I had booked with her sight unseen, it would have been perfectly fine.  But based on my experience, I don't know that I would book someone without a trial first.
  • Options
    I signed a contract without the trial. The MUA was picked based on recommendations and proximity to my venue. She recommends the trial closer to the wedding because of changes in skin color and hair color ect. I have signed the contract and paid a deposit, but have clauses in it that I can cancel if I am not happy for any reason with the trial. Of course this could be risky because I might have a hard time finding a replacement at that late date, but I guess this is where having good recommendations comes in handy-I am not worried at all I will have to cancel the services.
  • Options
    I would pay for the trial and if I was happy I would sign the contract. My first MUA, I was prepared to sign the contract because of the proximity, etc. but she was a touch dramatic. She flaked on two appointments for my trial (I showed up, she called and cancelled) and then called to tell me that she needed me to push my ceremony time back because she had a date that day. I was SO grateful I didn't sign the contract first with her.
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    I signed my contract (which includes a clause allowing me to cancel if I am unhappy with the trial) before my trial. I won't be getting my trial until I know how I want my hair done. My makeup is going to be completely different colors by the end of the summer so getting one done now would be pointless. Also, I plan on doing my trials and then getting boudoir pictures taken. Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    I wouldn't sign anything until the trial. What if you hated it but had already signed? That would be terrible!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to check out my stylist for another event I have in May before I sign. I appreciate the input!

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary
  • Options
    I think the stylist might want to wait until later in the summer so it's easier for you both to remember exactly what you want.  If I were you I would pay for a separate trial prior to signing the contract, and then if you want another trial later in the summer there's no reason why not!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards