Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

What reception songs do I need?

So since my mom passed over 10 years ago I need some help with questions... I know we need our first dance, mother/son and then father/daughter. What else is there typically??

Re: What reception songs do I need?

• Options
    That's typically it.  Some brides do a WP dance (where the BMs and GMs dance together), but I'd skip that.  Other guests will want to dance too and after 3 "spot light" dances, they'll be more than ready to join in the fun.  Plus it's awkward for the WP who may or may not know or care about the other WP members.

But, yeah. Usually just first dance, father-daughter, mother-son.  Then you're good. 
  • Options
    I've seen people do a "Longest married" dance too.  Its usually at least 30min-1hour after the "spotlight" dances and gets lots of people on the floor.  It starts with "Everyone that is married come on the floor"...then "anyone who's been married for more than 5 years stay on the floor" and so on until you find the longest married couple.  Usually grandparents. :)  Not required, but I've seen it done.  You've covered the big ones :) 

Sorry to hear about your mom! 
  • Options
    We did the longest married dance and it did end up being my grandparents :)  It was really sweet and then the DJ came on the floor with the mic and asked them to give us advice. 

We had to pick songs for the cake cutting and bouquet toss and the garter toss as well.  Also make a "Must play" and "Don't play" list. Its something I waited till the last minute on and I wish I had given myself more time to think about it.  I didn't realize how hard it would be. 
  • Options
    Ditto PPs.  We did the anniversary/longest married dance in lieu of a bouquet and garter toss.  Our DJ asked if we had a song in mind for that, also for cake cutting and for our entrance.  I think we had the option to pick songs for the tosses if we'd done them.  I'm glad we did a must play and a don't play list.  It helped a lot. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, my mother passed away 3 years before our wedding so I understand where you are coming from.

As far as dances go we had a song that for the WP introduction then a different song for our introduction.

-First dance
    -M/S dance
    -F/D dance
    -cake cutting
    -garter/bouquet toss
    -"anniversary" dance
    -money dance (tradition in our families...don't do it unless it's tradition since it breaks etiquette).
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    We did not have any special dances, other than our first dance together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards