Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Hi everyone!

Greetings, I'm Heather and i just got engaged a month ago. My FI is Chase and we were best friends for three years before he finally got his head on straight and realized I was the only girl for him.

He proposed when we had been together six months and a seafood place with a view of the lake. He even made sure my mom was there :)

We are getting married next august and my current stress is a severve lack of funds. So just about everything is DIY. If any one has suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Re: Hi everyone!

• Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

Budget?  Venue? Guest List?

First things first.  Set a budget.  Set a guest list.  Find a venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats! 

As for DIY, you should hop over to the DIY boards and check out their bio sticky.  They have some incredibly talented DIYers over there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!  We have a ton of girls on here who do almost completely DIY weddings, so you should get lots of ideas!

I would almost recommend venue before guest list.  Obviously you need to get the important people down, but one thing I really wished I had done was had a set number of people to invite, then breaking that down into a number FI and I could invite, a number my parents could invite, and a number FILs could invite.

You can also do the numbers thing before you pick your venue, just determine that you want x number of guests and then start looking for a place to accomodate you.
    Anniversary

• Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_hi-everyone-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:f96283bf-38a8-4e27-9601-491cce2d4012Post:78ee3098-b51a-4cbc-a7af-ad6aab9f075e">Re: Hi everyone!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome and congrats!  We have a ton of girls on here who do almost completely DIY weddings, so you should get lots of ideas! <strong>I would almost recommend venue before guest list.</strong>  Obviously you need to get the important people down, but one thing I really wished I had done was had a set number of people to invite, then breaking that down into a number FI and I could invite, a number my parents could invite, and a number FILs could invite. You can also do the numbers thing before you pick your venue, just determine that you want x number of guests and then start looking for a place to accomodate you.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I say that because what if you sign on a venue that allows 100 guests, but when you compile your guest list, you have 150 <u>MUST HAVES</u>.  Traditionally, guest list is first to prevent that from happening.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_hi-everyone-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:f96283bf-38a8-4e27-9601-491cce2d4012Post:e91160bb-367d-4d52-9950-20ac9621f449">Re: Hi everyone!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hi everyone! : I say that because what if you sign on a venue that allows 100 guests, but when you compile your guest list, you have 150 MUST HAVES .  Traditionally, guest list is first to prevent that from happening.  :)
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you.  My situation is different I guess, with FI's family inviting half of their hometown.  If I'd had my venue booked before FMIL started extending verbal invites, I might have been able to tell her she could only invite x people and made it a little easier on her.  After we booked our venue and I told her she had to make some cuts (I mean, our venue has a HUGE capacity, but when you factored in all our friends plus FILs friends/clients, it was ridiculous) she got really upset because she felt like she'd have to eliminate entire groups of friends to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.  It was a nightmare.  I guess it's something to consider if you or anyone in your family is a big socialite.  =)
    Anniversary

• Options
    winechic25winechic25 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!! You will find so many ladies on here with awesome ideas and advice...enjoy the planning!!
  • Options
    LoverBean27LoverBean27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree guest list before venue!! We did it venue before guest list... and although we LOVE our venue.... we had to drasctically cut our guest list because we didn't realize how many ppl we needed to invite!!

Welcome :) and congrats!! Can't wait to see how your DIY wedding turns out!!
    image 279 Invited!
    image 137 Are ready to celebrate!
    image 93 Cannot make it!
    image 40 Have not responded! aka: officially uninvited! ;)
    RSVP date 2/17

March 2012 Brides

**SIGGY (March 2012 board) January CHALLENGE

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You don't marry the person you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without"-Anonymous

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I'm remotely new here too, and these boards have been so helpful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    btweety04btweety04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Congrats on your engagement!! We have a sticky at the top that has everyone's bios-check them out! Lots of DIYers here :-)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank y'all so much for the kind welcome! I've got budget, guest list pretty much set.... 115 must haves at the moment lol. I'm going to check out venues tmr. To say I'm excited would be an understatement!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards