Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

interracial wedding

My boyfriend of 3 1/2 years and I are not engaged (yet) but we have been discussing it a lot lately. He is African-American, I am white. One thing that he has brought up is the tradition of jumping the broom. Knowing what this represents, is this appropriate for a black/white wedding?

Re: interracial wedding

• Options
    Depending on your faith(s), there is also an interfaith wedding board if that might help you at all.
  • Options
    You might also want to ask this on the African American board.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    i'm black and because of what it represents i think it's wrong that jumping the broom is a tradition in the first place. guess i'm no help Smile
  • Options
    What does it represent? I've never heard of it before.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am engaged to a white man. Congrats to you! I would ask him why he wants to do it. If he says he wants to do it just because that is what he has seen others do, do not do it. Just to say you did it is a little "young".
  • Options
    As an American Studies major -- with intensive study in American slavery (including a lot of reading of slaves' writings) -- my understanding of the original significance of jumping the broom is connected to the fact that slaves were not allowed to marry legally.  Jumping the broom was, at the time, a slave couple's marriage ceremony -- somewhat akin to Church blessings these days.  Not legal, but a blessing of the union as recognized by the community.  That's a sketchy outline, based on this stuff I studied 30 years ago. 

I do not know/understand the significance of jumping the broom these days, though.  I hope that helps. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards