Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Gifts

We are paying for the whole thing ourselves... I know it is tradition to give a gift to the parents, but that is only of they pay for part of it right? We don't have to give them a gift as well? Groomsmen and BM's, but that is all no?

Re: Gifts

• Options
    I was under the impression the gift to the parents, while not necessary, was to thank them for raising you and being there for you, not for paying for the wedding.  And it does not need to be expensive.  Something as simple as an engraved photo frame with a picture of you and your parent is an awesome and sentimental gift.
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Parent gifts aren't necessary, but they are to thank them for raising you, not for paying for your wedding. How about parent albums after the fact? You need to get gifts for all of your attendants, as well as anyone that plays a roll in your wedding that you don't pay: pastor, usher, reader, etc.
  • Options
    Ohh I didn't realize it was for raising me.... now I feel stupid... We are doing parent photo albums after the fact, but they won't be ready for like 3 months later... should I give them something else at the rehearsal dinner? Any ideas? an engraved frame is nice, but my brother just had the first grandchild, so I barely exist at this moment in time... And every picture frame is now pictures of my niece, whom I love, but seriously she is 2 months old, do they really need 6 pictures of her in the living room? No I am not jealous, just not understanding i guess..
  • Options
    From my position as FMIL, I feel that my children do not need to give us gifts.  What I would really treasure, is a note of appreciation for the effort we put into being parents.  I know all parents don't put the same amount of effort into parenting, but I'm sure each child could find one or two special memories to recount in a note to their parent(s).    As we get older, things aren't as important as memories, and I don't know a parent out there who doesn't have a regret or two  When our children marry and start new lives with their loved one, it would be nice to have an acknowledgment of something done right.  Just my two cents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards