Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

mexican traditions...

My FI is mexican and I want to incorporate some of their traditions in the wedding, but he isn't really telling me any of them. The only one he mentioned was something about putting a rope around both of us, but he just wants me to plan it how I want it! Can anyone help me with some traditions in his culture? It's OUR wedding and I want him and his traditional family to enjoy it just as much as I do! Thanks! :]

Re: mexican traditions...

• That tradition is the Lasso (I may not be spelling that correctly) and then there's the 5 coins (oh, dang, I might not have that term correct either).  Anyway, yes, go to the board that relates to your fi's traditions. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Hi my name is Dora and I'm Mexican and post on the latino board. Yes their is a tradition of the laso which is a large rosary place around you guys during the mass or ceremony. It is maily popular among mexican couples getting married through the catolic church. Also their is the arras which is 13 coins that represent that your husband to be will provide for the two of you and the family to come. That is also included in the mass or ceremony. At the reception you can include the "bibora de la mar" which is sort of like a dance in which your maid of honor starts sort of like a train with all the lady guest at you wedding and dances around the reception site with everyone one else following. For this you set two chairs so you and your husband stand on top so you create sort of a tunnel through which your guest go through while they do this dance. You then repeat it with all the male invites. Also their is the tradition in which your husband is lifted by all the male invites and thrown up in the air several times. I'm not sure what is the background on that one. Well hope this helps you if not definetely post on the latino board.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My FI is Mexican as well, and I want to incorporate as many traditions as possible. I've read that there's a tradition of the bride sewing blue, red and yellow (I think) ribbons to her undergarments (I'll probably sew mine to my slip). And also, if you're doing a Catholic mass ceremony, then after the priest makes the sign of the cross on the groom's head, the bride is supposed to kiss it (I thought this was adorable!). And instead of a unity candle, we're just going to take communion. I've read about the lasso thing and the dance thing as well, so we'll be incorporating those too.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Thank you so much for the replies! They were very helpful the lasso and the 13 coins were the ones he did tell me about I will talk to him about the other ones and go from there thanks! you guys are great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards