Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Brand New Here!

Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself here as I just registered on the Knot!! My fiance and I got engaged over the holidays, and we just set a date for December 3rd last night. There is so much information from so many ladies, and I love it. What sort of things should I be looking to take care of first? I am lost as to what the first step should be..

Re: Brand New Here!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!

Sit down and figure out a budget, after you have the budget then at least get an estimate for the size of guest list you are looking at.  The guest list could eliminate some venues up front.  After budget and guest list I personally looked at venue (because some have their own caterers and other things that may not require additional vendors) and photography as it was high on my priority list.

There is a post at the top of the threads that has all the vendors past and current knot girls have used so check that out and if you have more detailed questions let us know.
  • Options
    dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!

I concur with Bobbileigh - Once you have an idea of budget and estimated guest list you should move forward with the venue (since you already have a date).  But that doesn't mean you can't start getting quotes/researching other vendors!

Poke around! In addition to the posts at the top (stickies), people's bios are linked at the bottom of their posts and can be super helpful, too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the board!  I agree with Bobbileigh - Budget, Guest List, Venue and then any other vendors that are top priorities for you (for us it was the photographer).

Good Luck with your planning!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  Ditto what everyone else has said!  This board is a great resource for information.  Every one of my major vendors came from a recommendation off of this board and every one of them was wonderful.  Be sure to check out everyone's bios too for ideas--those helped me alot when I was trying to pull my vision together.  Happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Boards!! Not going to repeat what's been said since it's perfect! Happy planning! You'll love the girls on this board they are great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!!! 

What others said sounds great to me!  You may also want to think of the type of wedding you want when choosing a venue. Do you want outdoor, or ceramony in a church then drive somewhere for the reception (if so what type of church)....do you want your ceramony and reception in the same place, do you want casual or formal...etc. That would also kindda help you with choosing a venue.

As soon as I got engaged, my mom and I went shopping for a planner. I'd suggest investing in one, or using the knot.com since they have one. They are very useful and keeps things organized!
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome!!  It seems like you've gotten great advice so far from the ladies... let us know what you come up with and if you need any help along the way.  Please stick around too!  We're a fun bunch.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! :-)  I would just do what the other ladies suggested...look at your budget and decide on your number of guests first!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    carmen9311carmen9311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    welcome to the board!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and Welcome!!

Great advice given so far.   If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  We have a quite helpful group around here. :)
  • Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *waves*

Hello!! Welcome :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome to the board!! These girls are all super helpful! Good luck with your planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
    "The things I've done, the places I've been, just don't compare to the love I'm in, it beats all I've ever seen."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome to the board.  I definitely agree with PP about buying a planner.  That thing saved me so many times.  Happy Planning.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Welcome and congrats!!!  Everyone has given you good advice so I'll just welcome you!  Don't be afraid to ask questions!  We are here to help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sarathirzasarathirza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looks like everything has already been said, so I'll just say congrats and welcome! A lot of the vendors I've booked have come from recommendations on this board :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!! I have just started and I already feel like I you all are going to make my life so much easier :) Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello and Welcome to the boards!!  We all love it here!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats! Very exciting!!!

I haven't read the rest of the replies, but as far as a first step, SET A BUDGET. That is KEY, before doing anything!!

After you set a budget, since you already have a date, pick a venue. Then everything else will fall into place after that. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    jenngbjenngb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!!! Have fun planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards