Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Engagement ring and Wedding ring tradition.

Do any of yall know what the tradition of a woman gettin 2 rings.  Like where did that tradition come from?  I know that one is an engagement ring and one is a wedding ring, but how did the tradition of 2 rings get started or where did it come from? My Fiancee asked me and I came up with a "I don't know" So if any of yall have an answer that would be great Thank yall for yall's help!

Re: Engagement ring and Wedding ring tradition.

• Is your FI asking because he's miffed at having to purchase two rings? Google is your friend.
  • Ha ha no of course not! He was just curious and wanted to know how it came about. He made me curious so i thought maybe some one one here knew. His mother gave him her engagement ring and now i'm wearing it. I love it and it is beautiful!!!
  • Thank you so much!

• Actually, from all my reading, engagement rings were rare up until Victorian times. In medieval times the most common engagement gift was a thimble. Through the regency period, engagements were generally so short, people still only had one wedding ring. come the Victorians, however, engagements could be upwards of a year. ALSO, it was very common for brides to be to "lose their virtue" during this engagement period. As some less scruplous men would propose to get into someone's pant, they started making it possible to suing men for basically breach of contract if they proposed and then ran. Expensive rings were another "down payment" making it do men didn't propose and then take off leaving the woman "ruined"
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • edited February 2013

Question...does the wedding band have to be first, then the engagement ring?

• I've been wondering the same thing. I'm actually the one that doesn't want a wedding band. My ring has an uncommon shape around the setting so we'd have to get it specially made. I really like the look of just my engagement ring (not a solitaire) and if we get a band, it would have to go on top & bottom (otherwise it would look weird/off-balance), which would basically double the size. I'm really not in to jewelry or bling, so I love the simplicity of my ring on its own. My FI will just have to give it to me again at our ceremony :)
  • You could always move your engagement ring to your right hand and wear a wedding band on your left hand?  I've seen that done before :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards