Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Bridal Party Help

Do I have to invite my finace's sister to stand up in my wedding party?

Re: Bridal Party Help

• Options
    Nope. Who you want in your bridal party is completely up to you. I personally am asking my fiance's sister to be a bridesmaid because we get along really well and we bonded as she is the only girl in her family and she likes having me around like an older sister figure. But if you aren't close with your fiance's sister or have people you would rather have in your wedding party, you are in no way obligated. She can always stand up with him as a "groomswoman", if that is the right word. That is becoming more and more popular nowadays.

• Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    Nope, you do what YOU wanna do. It's your and your FI's wedding.
  • Options
    Just make sure you know family dynamic.  While you don't have to ask anyone you don't want to, I know my ILs would have been really upset if I hadn't asked my SILs to be in our wedding.  
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    BM's should be close friends, perhaps girls you grew up with or feel like you grew up with.  Girls you would share anything with, girls your have fought and made up with before.  Bugs me when bride's ask FSIL's and FI's family members to be in their bridal party just because their FI's family. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:23d43729-6704-47c7-9df7-acdbadde0f36Post:e301f7a4-754c-4e31-8c36-60798b158b66">Re: Bridal Party Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just make sure you know family dynamic.  While you don't have to ask anyone you don't want to, I know my ILs would have been really upset if I hadn't asked my SILs to be in our wedding.  
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>i agree with this. if you're on the fence maybe ask your FI what he thinks and make sure he doesn't mention it to her!   and of course if you do ask her, it must be genuine and not just because you "have" to - that would be weird and hurt her feelings probably.</div><div>
    </div><div>i'm definitely asking my FSIL, but we've started developing a very genuine sisterly relationship and i wouldn't want a WP without her - i've never had a sister before, so i feel lucky i'm getting a great one!</div>
  • Options
    no you don't have to, I am only having my FI's sister in my wedding because we are descent friends and she has done a lot to help us with wedding planning. My brother's wive's had me in their party, but not knowing them very well (because they lived in different state) I felt a little out of place and awkward.
    but it's your day and your wedding. you need to do what makes you happy! I personally would only be comfortable having close friends up there with FI and me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. But if he wants them in the party, either of you could have them on your side - as bridesmaids or groomswomen.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    No you do not have to ask her.  If you FI wants, she can be one of his attendants. 
  • Options
    I'm not particularly close to my FSIL, but she was really excited about the wedding and being in the wedding.  She can also be a bit dramatic.  

So, to keep family peace, she's in the Wedding Party :)
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards