Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Lithuanian Wedding Traditions?

My fiancé is from Lithuania and his parents were hoping that he would end up with a tall, blonde-hair, blue-eyed beauty from Kaunas.  When he brought home a short, brown-hair, brown-eyed, plain Jane from Michigan, they were not impressed.  Since we have decided to delay telling them about our engagement, we cannot ask his parents about Lithuanian wedding traditions, which we are hoping to incorporate into our ceremony and reception.  Is anybody familiar with how weddings are currently celebrated in Lithuania?  Please and thank you!

Re: Lithuanian Wedding Traditions?

• Options
    1. Your fiancé doesn't know his own culture's traditions? Has he never been to a wedding with his family?

2. If you're adult enough to get married, you're adult enough to tell his parents and let them think what they want.
  • Options
    You should tell them. If they're not impressed now, they will be even more disenchanted with you if you keep lying to them.
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's a matter of timing and now is not the time to tell them, but that is a separate issue.  My fiancé moved to the states when he was young so he has never attended a wedding before.  I've been searching online for ideas, but even that seems limited!
  • Options
    You bring up a really good point, thank you!
  • Options
    There are a lot of traditions in Lithuanian weddings, but if you just incorporate some of those things I'm sure it will make your FI's family feel more included. 
    Traditionally, the parents will greet the newlyweds at the entrance of the place where you are having your reception, holding a tray with bread, salt and water. There is also an old tradition where a guy has to chop a piece of wood, to show that he will be able to take care of his family, the bride has to dress a doll to show that she will be a good mom, and finally there will be a small bench and both the bride and groom have to be to lay down on it. It simbolizes that while you might be a new family and don't have much, you will still make it work.
    Good luck with your wedding and your in-laws.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards