Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Second dance

My fiance has been married before and he has 3 grown children that I am very close to.  My fiance and I have our first dance song picked out ... but we were thinking for the 2nd dance to pick another song and have his children and their significant others dance with us.  I want them to know that they are very close to me ...does this sound okay?  And if so, any suggestions on a song for this?  Thanks all!!!

Re: Second dance

• Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it, you could do something more like a wedding party dance, and it could be an up tempo song and not a slow dance.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I think that sounds nice.  Ask the DJ to help out with a song choice and with mixing the 2 songs appropriately (DJ should make an announcement, inviting the groom's children and dates to the dance floor).  Just make sure they -- FI's children -- like to dance.  Otherwise, it might be a bit awkward ...
  • Options
    I think that sounds nice.  Does your FI & his children have a song of particular meaning for them?  I'd ask his opinion, he might have some good ideas.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think if they're okay with it, great! I would just make sure that you edit the music down. I think 2 mins is perfect for each dance. As a guest, despite how sweet it is, it can get boring/awkward watching people dance for more than that. 
  • Options
    My friends did this when they got married a few years ago. My friend's husband had two young children from his first marriage. In their case, the kids loved it and were really happy and excited about it. However, I'm not so sure they would want to still do it now that they are older. I think it's a very sweet idea, but it's something you need to discuss with them so they are okay with it.

Also, if they don't want to, don't force them or take it personally.
  • Options
    How old are we talking when we say "grown?"

I definitely think this is something you need to get everybody's approval on, including the SOs. Otherwise it could feel like they are being forced into a show of solidarity.
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Aside from making sure everyone is on board with this, I would suggest that rather than having a separate spotlight dance, that the DJ ask the children and their spouses to join you towards the end of your dance.  Nothing is more boring for guests than endless spotlight dances.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards