Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Rehearsal Dinner?

Is a rehearsal dinner necessary? Who pays for it? 

Re: Rehearsal Dinner?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_rehearsal-dinner-12?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:346dbfcc-6111-4552-99dd-e535713d65acPost:04e33a07-032c-4dc6-95df-de4086496b80">Rehearsal Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is a rehearsal dinner necessary? Who pays for it? 
    Posted by hbarry2428[/QUOTE]
    A rehearsal dinner is only necesary if there is a rehearsal.
    Who ever wants to pay for it, can. I think it used to be that it was (wrongly) assumed that the groom's family paid for it, but in 2013 most people are over that misplaced tradition. Even the bride and groom can pay for it.
  • Options
    It also doesn't have to be expensive. We paid for our own and just went to Pizza Hut.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ok...now is the rehersal necessary?
  • Options
    Generally not unless you are having a complicated or unusual ceremony.
  • Options
    We would have skipped our rehearsal if it hadn't been for logistics. We had to be driven to the ceremony site on golf carts and we needed to figure out where was the best place to stop and get out, how far back before he would see me, etc. But if you're just doing a normal walk-in, you could definitely skip it!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    My church and priest required a rehearsal the evening before our wedding. Therefore, we held a rehearsal dinner afterwards per etiquette standards.

If you don't have any church/officiant rehearsal requirements, and don't feel passionate about having a rehearsal...you definitely don't need to have one.
  • Options
    Not needed at all - I've never been too one and I have been 'in' a lot of weddings
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_rehearsal-dinner-12?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:346dbfcc-6111-4552-99dd-e535713d65acPost:fc1fbdf9-640d-4880-810e-109f6bc78961">Re: Rehearsal Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok...now is the rehersal necessary?
    Posted by hbarry2428[/QUOTE]
    Eh, it depends. I know I was grateful for a rehearsal when I was in my friend's wedding, but I'm an awfully shy person and I get anxiety. So going through the motions was super helpful to me. But not everyone is me.
  • Options
    Thank you, as this is a small DIY wedding with a MOH and 1 bridesmaid and Bestman and 1 groomsman ( flower girl and ring bearer) I think I will skip the rehersal dinner. As it was already said... people do not need to practice walking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards