Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

First Dance Song Appropriate?

My fiance and I have talked at length about our first dance song. This will be a second marriage for both of us. We are debating between using the first song we ever danced to (Can't Help Falling in Love With You - cover by Ingrid Michaelson), a song that we both love and gets us teary eyed (Hold You in My Arms - Ray Lamontagne), or a surprise song I want to play for him (The Luckiest - Ben Folds). He is totally excited about all three of these options, and said we could do them all, but I don't want to torture my guests like that :)
I am torn on these because the first one was our first dance together ever, the second is a song that I played for him one night and we both got all choked up, and the last is sentimental to me and special for us as we constantly "argue" about which one of us is the luckiest to have the other. However, given the lyrics of the third, I was wondering if it's inappropriate or might seem weird to some people. But, given that it's the second marriage for each of us, I think it's perfect.
Can any of you lovely ladies give me your thoughts? I know in the end it's our decision, but wanted to know what others would think, mainly about the last option. Thanks!

(edited for spelling)
Praying for a miracle!

Re: First Dance Song Appropriate?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-dance-song-appropriate-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:3b2be3b4-b779-4639-8f26-facbc94f58e6Post:f6d6a266-3d81-41cc-82ad-77fd077af8bb">First Dance Song Appropriate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I have talked at length about our first dance song. This will be a second marriage for both of us. We are debating between using the first song we ever danced to (Can't Help Falling in Love With You - cover by Ingrid Michaelson), a song that we both love and gets us teary eyed (Hold You in My Arms - Ray Lamontagne), or a surprise song I want to play for him (The Luckiest - Ben Folds). He is totally excited about all three of these options, and said we could do them all, but I don't want to torture my guests like that :) I am torn on these because the first one was our first dance together ever, the second is a song that I played for him one night and we both got all choked up, and the last is sentimental to me and special for us as we constantly "argue" about which one of us is the luckiest to have the other. However, given the lyrics of the third, I was wondering if it's inappropriate or might seem weird to some people. But, given that it's the second marriage for each of us, I think it's perfect. Can any of you lovely ladies give me your thoughts? I know in the end it's our decision, but wanted to know what others would think, mainly about the last option. Thanks! (edited for spelling)
    Posted by mandi195[/QUOTE]

I would have to listen to all three. . . .but if they have compatible beats, maybe you can speak to your DJ about mixing them together for a custom first dance song.
  • Options
    I like most of the lyrics to Ben Folds some of it's kind of strange though... personally between those three i think i would go with Can't Help Falling in Love With You". Hope this helps you.
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • Options
    annieoldfieldannieoldfield member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I dont think theres any song thats inappropriate for a first dance if it means something to you an your FI. I cant tell you which to choose, but the two you dont you can always as the dj to play sometime through the night or use one as the last dance. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love the luckiest! Great song
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I appreciate it! 
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    Hey!  I feel like I just answered this exact q on another board. Undecided
  • Options
    I'm obsessed with Ben Folds, so I'm a little biased.

But - if he hasn't heard the spong before, it might be better to go with one of the others. The first dance song should be sentimental to both of you.
  • Options
    People say the first dance represents the couple's style. Choose the song that represents who you two are as a couple and/or how you imagine your married life. The other songs you can play during the reception and still have a nice dance with your man.
  • Options
    I'm a big Ingrid Michaelson fan, so that would get my vote! They all have special meaning, so I would pick whichever you keep going back to the most when you imagine that moment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards